February! What are you reading?

Moderator: Malanee

Rowan
Stinky Ho Zat Changed Zeh Channel

February! What are you reading?

Post by Rowan »

I finished The Narrows by Michael Connelly. I liked it. I may have to start getting them in order of series.

I read Belzhar by Meg Wolitzer today. Weird but entertaining.

I have The Rosie Effect up next.
Blush
TH Master

Re: February! What are you reading?

Post by Blush »

Ooh, I hope The Rosie Effect is good. I have it on hold.

I started Landline by Rainbow Rowell on Sunday and finished it last night. So good.

Now I've got another Cathy Kelly called Once in a Lifetime.
mellenhead
Shoulder Eater

Post by mellenhead »

I finally finished The Book of Strange New Things by Michael Faber. It was good but the ending fell a little flat.

I have a shit ton of books waiting for me on the hold shelf. I think I'll start with either The Girl on the Train or The Sasquatch Hunter's Almanac.
Rowan

Post by Rowan »

mellen, I just googled the Sasquatch book and got the Amazon posting. It said that Sasquatch and Girl on the Train are often bought together. How funny.

Girl on the Train is also on my hold shelf.

Blush, the reviews for Rosie Effect haven't been good but I'm trying to hold out hope. I haven't started it yet.
Rowan

Post by Rowan »

I'm halfway through the Rosie Effect. I like it. It's not as good as the first and there is an awkwardly placed scene necessary for later plot which is weird. We'll see how I feel when I finish. It's an easy read which is key for the rink.
mellenhead
Shoulder Eater

Post by mellenhead »

Read The Girl on the Train. Worth the hype - good book, couldn't put it down.

Now I'm about halfway through The Rabbit Back Literature Society. It's translated from Finnish so I was a little worried after reading some reviews but so far so good. I'm hoping I can finish it tonight while the boys are at the bike park.
Rowan

Post by Rowan »

Finished Rosie Effect. Not nearly as good as Rosie Project.

I started You by Caroline Kepnes but I can't get past some of the dialogue. Not sure that I will continue.
Blush
TH Master

Post by Blush »

I finished Once in a Lifetime and I really have no idea why it was called that. It was pretty good, though.

Now I have "Andrea Martin's Lady Parts". I have to read it since I recently read Martin Short's book. And she dedicated it to Canada. ;)
mellenhead
Shoulder Eater

Post by mellenhead »

I finished The Rabbit Back Literature Society at lunch. Loved it.

I think next is Vivian Apple at the End of the World. I need something light.
Sílvia
Trophy Wife

Post by Sílvia »

I finally finished Bodies of Water. It took me 12 days because it was so good I wanted to give it my full attention, and I've been busy and tired. I wanted to savor it. It was wonderful. Well-written and compelling. Even some things that were predictable in the story didn't bother me because it was so well-done. Thank you, Bugsy :) I was thinking that I needed something lighter after this, but I don't want that. I want to check out her other books. How had I never heard of this author before?! On to goodreads to see which of her other books I'll read next.
Bugsy
Noodles and Corn

Post by Bugsy »

:clap Oh yay, you liked it! I always get nervous making recommendations, because it often seems that my tastes don't really align with those of other people too much. This was the first I'd heard of her too; apparently she has a new book coming out later this month (according to a colleague).

I still haven't started anything new since finishing that one. It's like nothing will compare, so I don't even want to try!
Sílvia
Trophy Wife

Post by Sílvia »

I know the feeling! But I started her Nearer than the Sky. I still like the writing, but the story is awfully depressing. It's about a mother with Munchausen by proxy Syndrome. Ugh. I should have chosen another one.
Spudd
TH Master

Post by Spudd »

My library doesn't have that one in ebook, but I put "Grace" on hold to give her a try.

I'm almost finished with the 100-year Old Man Who Went out the Window. It's entertaining but I wouldn't really recommend it.
Anna
TH Master

Post by Anna »

I'm trying to read The Aviators Wife, about Charles Lindberghs wife. I will keep you posted.
Sílvia
Trophy Wife

Post by Sílvia »

I'm sorry to report I hated Nearer than the Sky. There was no plot. The good news is this was only her second book, written in 1999. Bodies of Water is much more recent (2013) and a million times better, so there's hope for all those novels inbetween.

Not sure what's next. I started the sample of The Secret Keeper by Kate Morton. We'll see.
Blush
TH Master

Post by Blush »

I just finished Andrea Martin's Lady Parts. It was okay.

Now I have The Fates Will Find Their Way by Hannah Pittard.
Bugsy
Noodles and Corn

Post by Bugsy »

I've just started "The Bean Trees," by Barbara Kingsolver. It's the newest book club selection. Too early to judge it.
mellenhead
Shoulder Eater

Post by mellenhead »

I finished Vivian Apple at the End of the World. I need to stop reading end of the world type stories. It was ok, nothing special.

I'm about half way through The Sasquatch Hunters Almanac. It's pretty good so far.
Blush
TH Master

Post by Blush »

I finished The Fates Will Find Their Way by Hannah Pittard. It was different, but well written.

Now I have an older book by Cecilia Ahern called "Love, Rosie". It's coming out as a movie this year.
Rowan

Post by Rowan »

I started You Should Have Known by Jean Hanff Korelitz and its good so far.

I'm also listening to The Power of Habit by Charles Duhigg. I really like it. I can't help but think that I could write a book like this. I would just need to find an interesting enough subject.