March! What are you reading?

Moderator: Malanee

mellenhead
Shoulder Eater

Re: March! What are you reading?

Post by mellenhead »

Enjoyed A Deep Look at a Shallow Year by Andy Cohen way more than I should have. It's a fun read and he talks nonstop about his dog, it's cute.

Just started Fairest, which is kind of a companion book to the Lunar Chronicle books (Cinder, Scarlet, Cress). It's only about 200 pages so it's a quick read.
Blush
TH Master

Post by Blush »

I finished The Rosie Effect last night. It was good but I liked the first one better.

Now I have Girl Runner by Carrie Snyder.

From GoodReads:
Girl Runner is the story of Aganetha Smart, a former Olympic athlete who was famous in the 1920s, but now, at age 104, lives in a nursing home, alone and forgotten by history. For Aganetha, a competitive and ambitious woman, her life remains present and unfinished in her mind.

When her quiet life is disturbed by the unexpected arrival of two young strangers, Aganetha begins to reflect on her childhood in rural Ontario and her struggles to make an independent life for herself in the city.

Without revealing who they are, or what they may want from her, the visitors take Aganetha on an outing from the nursing home. As ready as ever for adventure, Aganetha's memories are stirred when the pair return her to the family farm where she was raised. The devastation of WWI and the Spanish flu epidemic, the optimism of the 1920s and the sacrifices of the 1930s play out in Aganetha's mind, as she wrestles with the confusion and displacement of the present.

Part historical page-turner, part contemporary mystery, Girl Runner is an engaging and endearing story about family, ambition, athletics and the dedicated pursuit of one's passions. It is also, ultimately, about a woman who follows the singular, heart-breaking and inspiring course of her life until the very end. (less)
Bugsy
Noodles and Corn

Post by Bugsy »

Ooh that sounds good, Blush.
Blush
TH Master

Post by Blush »

I just finished Girl Runner and it was wonderful. Loved it.

Now I have Punishment by Linden MacIntyre. Looks good.
Sílvia
Trophy Wife

Post by Sílvia »

Finished The Last Letter from Your Lover. Loved it. I love how, even though she only writes love stories, her plots are completely different from each other. She did have 2 story lines, one set in 2003 and the other in the 1960s, like in The Girl You Left Behind, but the stories were completely different. I didn't like the part set in 2003. It was predictable and the main character was pathetic. But that was a very small part of the book, and I loved the part set in the 60s. 4.5 stars.

Then I started The Light Between Oceans by M.L. Stedman. It's got rave reviews. I'm only on page 35. It hasn't grabbed me yet.
Spudd
TH Master

Post by Spudd »

I just finished Alif the Unseen last night. I enjoyed it. It was a weird book, had both modern technology and magical demons as plot elements. But I'd give it a thumbs up.
Rowan
Stinky Ho Zat Changed Zeh Channel

Post by Rowan »

Read Sweetness #9. I liked it until about halfway through and then it just went wonky. I finished it but wouldn't recommend it.

Started It Was Me Along - Andie Mitchell and its a quick read. One of these days I'll read a weight loss memoir and it will resonate. :whistle

Finished the audio of Stiff. I think M enjoyed it more than me. :) It was ok....some chapters were better than others. I started audio of The Astronauts Wives Club this AM. We'll see...it seems very 1950s housewifey.
mellenhead
Shoulder Eater

Post by mellenhead »

Rowan I thought The Astronauts Wives Club was interesting but dragged a fair amount in places.

I finished Fairest - it was pretty good.

I'm almost done with The Alex Crow by Andrew Smith. This book is so bizarre in a good way. It blends together various stories about a teenage refugee survivor now living in WV, the diaries of a failed Arctic expedition from the nineteenth century, the "melting man" who is taking instructions from Joseph Stalin who speaks to him in his mind and a depressed bionic crow.
Rowan
Stinky Ho Zat Changed Zeh Channel

Post by Rowan »

Thanks mellen, I'm liking Astronauts Wives so far.
Spudd
TH Master

Post by Spudd »

I just started a book of science fiction short stories. It should be entertaining. I like short stories and I like science fiction.
mellenhead
Shoulder Eater

Post by mellenhead »

Finished The Alex Crow. Loved it. It's a really strange book, but very good.

Started Hausfrau by Jill Alexander Essbaum at lunch. Loving it so far. Read good things about this book on Book Riot so I'm hoping I'll have lots of time tonight to keep reading.
Sílvia
Trophy Wife

Post by Sílvia »

Finished The Light Between Oceans. I almost gave it up after 100 pages. Read some spoilers and the last 2 chapters, then decided to read the rest. I didn't like the writing, it took more than 30% of the book to pick up, and the so-called "moral dilemma" was not a dilemma at all to me (baby shows up on a boat with a dead man on an empty beach, couple finds her and decides to raise her as their own. You can see where this is going). The circumstances were implausible and the rest of the story was predictable. I ended up giving it 2 stars because of course you wanna know how it will end after a while. But it was bad.

Then I read Wonder by R.J. Palacio. It was so much better than I expected! I thought it would be melodramatic and pretentious like The Fault in Our Stars (which I liked, I just didn't love it), but it wasn't. My only problem with it was the ending. I thought it was a bit too hollywoodian and unrealistic. But it was still good.

Do you guys get annoyed by my goodreads updates on facebook? I just linked them so that people other than you guys can comment on my reading choices. Which rarely happens.

Then I started The Girl on the Train. No opinion yet.