June already?! What are you reading?

Moderator: Malanee

Blush
TH Master

June already?! What are you reading?

Post by Blush »

I just finished A Fireproof House for the Bride. It took me about 80 pages to get into it, but it was really good.

Now I have Daydreams of Angels by Heather O'Neil. It's short stories, which usually aren't my thing, but I like her writing so I am hopeful.
Spudd
TH Master

Re: June already?! What are you reading?

Post by Spudd »

I'm reading Grace, by T. Greenwood. So far I'm enjoying it.
Sílvia
Trophy Wife

Post by Sílvia »

Ah, you decided to try it, Spudd? I hope you like it. I like her writing style, I really do, but her books are so depressing! It worked for me in Bodies of Water, though.

I finished Three Wishes by Liane Moriarty. I take back what I said before, I did like it in the end. It was my least favorite of her books, but I still enjoyed it. I think it took me a while to get into because I was coming from WW2. It was such an extreme change of subject/plot/tone. She's a very rare author for me: I enjoyed ALL her books. I'm sad I've read them all now :(

And now it's back to WW2 with The Kommandant's Girl by Pam Jenoff.
Rowan
Stinky Ho Zat Changed Zeh Channel

Post by Rowan »

I'm reading Ready Player One. Interesting apocalyptic story about a video game with 80s pop culture clues to win a billion dollar treasure. I'm only 40 pp in but so far so good.
mellenhead
Shoulder Eater

Post by mellenhead »

I think I'm finally out of my book rut! :wave :blow

I'm about halfway through The Residence - Inside the Private World of The White House by Kate Anderson Brower. Nothing earth shattering but it's pretty interesting to read how the White House functions behind the scenes.
Blush
TH Master

Post by Blush »

I finished Daydreams of Angels by Heather O'Neil. For a book of short stories, I was remarkably moved. Usually I don't get a chance to care about the characters in short stories, but these were great.

Now I have Her name is Rose by Christine Breen.
Rowan

Post by Rowan »

I finished Ready Player One. It was fine. I wouldn't necessarily recommend it and I was hoping for way more 80s references but there were a few obscure ones that I give the author kudos for.

Up next is Dietland by Sarai Walker. It's gotten loads of good reviews.
Sílvia
Trophy Wife

Post by Sílvia »

I finished The Kommandant's Girl. Loved it. It had its flaws, she overexplains everything and there were several eye-rolling coincidences, but it was still a page-turner. Sort of like Ken Follett in his best moments. I think I'll read the prequel to it now (The Ambassador's Daughter), but I'm a little bummed that I already know how some of the characters will end up. I wish I'd known this was a prequel, I would have read it first.
Blush
TH Master

Post by Blush »

I finished Her name is Rose by Christine Breen. It was fine, nothing earth shattering. Way too much use of brackets to explain things. Distracting.

Now I have The kind worth killing by Peter Swanson. Looks promising.
Sílvia
Trophy Wife

Post by Sílvia »

Finished The Ambassador's Daughter. Didn't like it much. It moved slowly, with way too many descriptions. The main character was not very likable. I skimmed a lot. Her writing is still very simplistic, it reads like YA. The only redeeming quality to me was the history part (1919, versailles treaty.) Not enough, I'm afraid.

Not sure what's next.
Spudd
TH Master

Post by Spudd »

I finished Grace, by T. Greenwood yesterday. I enjoyed it, although it was a bit slow moving.

I started "The Harmony Silk Factory" by Tash Aw. It's a book set in Malaysia - I had gotten it before we went to Malaysia on vacation in December, thinking it would be good thematic reading. Never read it. So far it seems decent but I'm only like 15 pages in.
Bugsy
Noodles and Corn

Post by Bugsy »

Finished "Euphoria" by Lily King over the weekend. Loved it. It was a tiny bit slow to start, but then it got really lovely. I really enjoyed it.

Not sure what's next.
Sílvia
Trophy Wife

Post by Sílvia »

I've been meaning to try more of T. Greenwood's work, Spudd. I wasn't crazy about the last 2 I read, but I loved Bodies of Water. And I do like her writing.

Euphoria has been on my radar for a while, Bugsy. Glad to know you liked it.

I'm reading Fractured by Dani Atkins. It's light and fluffy and satisfying, so far.
Bugsy
Noodles and Corn

Post by Bugsy »

Yeah I'd say it's definitely worth a read, Silvia.

I started "Pillars of the Earth" by Ken Follett this morning. I only got a few pages into it, so it's too hard to judge right now.
mellenhead
Shoulder Eater

Post by mellenhead »

Finished The Residence - Inside the Private World of The White House by Kate Anderson Brower. It was good but got a bit repetitive towards the end.

Started Jurassic Park a few days ago at Jeff's insistence. Not usually my thing but it's pretty good.
Blush
TH Master

Post by Blush »

I finished The Kind Worth Killing by Peter Swanson. I couldn't put it down.

Next up is Where They Found Her by Kimberly McCreight.

From Goodreads:
At the end of a long winter, in bucolic Ridgedale, New Jersey, the body of an infant is discovered in the woods near the town’s prestigious university campus. No one knows who the baby is, or how her body ended up out there. But there is no shortage of opinions.

When freelance journalist, and recent Ridgedale transplant, Molly Anderson is unexpectedly called upon to cover the story for the Ridegdale Reader, it’s a risk, given the severe depression that followed the loss of her own baby. But the bigger threat comes when Molly unearths some of Ridgedale’s darkest secrets, including a string of unreported sexual assaults that goes back twenty years.

Meanwhile, Sandy, a high school dropout, searches for her volatile and now missing mother, and PTA president Barbara struggles to help her young son, who’s suddenly having disturbing outbursts.

Told from the perspectives of Molly, Barbara, and Sandy, Kimberly McCreight’s taut and profoundly moving novel unwinds the tangled truth about the baby’s death revealing that these three women have far more in common than they realized. And that their lives are more intertwined with what happened to the baby than they ever could have imagined.
Sílvia
Trophy Wife

Post by Sílvia »

Ooh, the author of Reconstructing Amelia? I've downloaded the sample already :)

Bugsy, Pillars of the Earth is so much fun!
mellenhead
Shoulder Eater

Post by mellenhead »

Finished Jurassic Park. Meh. It was ok, but man the one character was SO annoying I was hoping for her to eaten by a dinosaur about halfway through.

Just started The Hopeful by Tracy O'Neill
Rowan

Post by Rowan »

Funny, we just watched Jurassic Park the other day. We've been watching some older movies with M.

I read The Heir which was LAME. A fluffy YA series. The author gets girls but doesn't get boys. This one was heavy on the teen boy but it was all about fighting. Puppy dog tails and all that.

I started I Know How She Does It by Laura Vanderkam. It's ok. I follow her blog so there's really not much new.
Blush
TH Master

Post by Blush »

I finished Where they found her. It was really good, and a quick read.

Now I have a WWII book set in Liverpool, called Through the Storm, by Maureen Lee.