Happy July! What are you reading?

Moderator: Malanee

mellenhead
Shoulder Eater

Re: Happy July! What are you reading?

Post by mellenhead »

Rowan wrote:I read Primates of Park Avenue and it was soooo disappointing. Ugh. I waited so long for it.
Really? Damn. I'm still on the wait list for it.

Got a fair amount of reading in over the weekend, most of it was not good!

Down the Rabbit Hole by Holly Madison - It was interesting, mostly because I love crap reality TV and I watched the Girls Next Door when it was on.

The Knockoff by Lucy Sykes - The was a pale imitation of The Devil Wears Prada

Even When You Lie to Me by Jessica Alcott - bad bad bad.

Next up is the Wolf Border by Sarah Hall
Rowan
Stinky Ho Zat Changed Zeh Channel

Post by Rowan »

Really? Damn. I'm still on the wait list for it.
Read it anyway. She tried to write parts of it like archaeological/sociological study but I felt that it was awkward. The story part I was hoping would be better. :dunno
Sílvia
Trophy Wife

Post by Sílvia »

Finished Where They Found Her by Kimberly McCreight (sp?). It was entertaining enough. Not great. Reconstructing Amelia was much better. I'll probably read more of her work.

Then I started Follow You Home by Mark Edwards. It's a psychological/horror (?) thriller. Holy grippingness! I started it at like 10 pm and thought I'd read for 10 minutes and pass out, like it usually happens with me when I've just started a book and am not into the story yet, but I was up until 00:45! No, I didn't finish it, I'm not a fast reader. But I couldn't put it down. Have you guys read anything by this guy? Apparently he has 2 other books out along the same lines. This was just released in June. I certainly hope the story has a decent explanation, because so far I'm very impressed!

Edited because "terror" and "horror" are not the same in English!
Blush
TH Master

Post by Blush »

Last night I finished Single, Carefree, Mellow by Katherine Heiny. I don't usually get emotionally invested in short stories but these ones hit me. Apart from the fact that most of the main characters were cheating on their partners, it was a fun, thoughtful read.

Now I have an older one by Cathy Kelly called Past Secrets.
Bugsy
Noodles and Corn

Post by Bugsy »

I'm 95% through Pillars of the Earth and hope to finish it this weekend. I see that there's a sequel and may try that sometime soon, because I've enjoyed this one quite well. The architecture talk is pretty over my head, but it's a good story overall with several interesting characters.

And I'm still midway through the audiobook for The Chaperone. If I haven't started anything else before next week I'll finish that on my commute time.
Sílvia
Trophy Wife

Post by Sílvia »

Just finished Follow You Home. It was very good. It did have a few unbelievable details and a stupid, unnecessary twist 10 pages from the end, but overall I couldn't put it down. The big mystery is revealed around page 200, so it's not one of those stories where the author stretches the mystery so much that you lose patience. Like Lost, you know? But there's still a lot to be revealed after that, and it worked for me, even with the far-fetched touches.

Not sure what's next. I seem to be in a mystery kick.
Rowan

Post by Rowan »

I tried a couple of books and didn't continue.

I read Rumors by Elin Hildebrand. Fine.

I'm reading Blueprints by Barbara Delinsky which is ok. I should have a good chunk of time to read tonight at hockey.

I need a new pile of books as I think I only have 1 more book left. M ruined a library book at his camp last week with his water bottle. I'm going to try to press it under some heavy shit but I think I'm going to have to pay for it. :angrywife
Last edited by Rowan on Mon Jul 27, 2015 3:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bugsy
Noodles and Corn

Post by Bugsy »

Finished "Pillars of the Earth." It was awesome. I was telling Jason about it, because I think he'd like it a lot. He said it sounded boring. I agree :lol, but I promised him he'd like it. Will he read it? Probably not. Oh well.

Working through my audiobook this week ("The Chaperone"), and then "10% Happier: How I Tamed the Voice in My Head, Reduced Stress Without Losing My Edge, and Found Self-Help That Actually Works--A True Story" by Dan Harris came in from my holds. I'll start that sometime this week, probably. Good timing, too, since it might help as I get into my therapy.
Blush
TH Master

Post by Blush »

I finished the Cathy Kelly book; it was typical for her.

Now I've got All my puny sorrows by Miriam Toews.
mellenhead
Shoulder Eater

Post by mellenhead »

Finished The Book of Speculation by Erika Swyler. It was good! Flipped between time periods, good story.

I'm listening to the audio book of Girls in White Dresses - forget the author. Not sure I'll make it all the way through. All of the main characters are incredibly annoying.
Sílvia
Trophy Wife

Post by Sílvia »

I've just finished Little Black Lies by Sharon Bolton. LOVED it. It's supposed to be a mystery/thriller, but to me it was more of a drama (with a bit of mystery.) I've already downloaded 2 samples of other books by her.

I'll never read all my samples, let alone the whole books.

Bugsy, glad you enjoyed Pillars! I loved it.
Rowan

Post by Rowan »

Still reading Blueprints.

Also re-reading the Ever Changing Magic of Tidying.