Happy July! What are you reading?

Moderator: Malanee

Blush
TH Master

Happy July! What are you reading?

Post by Blush »

I finished Through the Storm by Maureen Lee. It was informative about how WWII affected the people of Liverpool, but it wasn't engrossing.

Now I have Finding Jake by Bryan Reardon. Psychological suspense.
Sílvia
Trophy Wife

Re: Happy July! What are you reading?

Post by Sílvia »

I read the first 12% of The Handmaid's Tale and decided it wasn't my thing, as I'd suspected. Thanks anyway, Spudd!

Now I'm reading Two Rivers by T. Greenwood. I'm really enjoying it and recognizing the author I loved in Bodies of Water.
Blush
TH Master

Post by Blush »

I finished Finding Jake yesterday. It was a quick, gripping read.

Now I've got A Dangerous Age by Ellen Gilchrist.
Beverly
Desperate Postwife

Post by Beverly »

I'm about halfway through Bring up the Bodies, the sequel to Wolf Hall. Loving it.
Sílvia
Trophy Wife

Post by Sílvia »

I finished Two Rivers. Loved it. Now I'm reading Three Daughters by Consuelo Saah Baehr. It's about 3 generations of Palestinian Christian women. From 1880 to 1960, I think. I'm only on page 130, but I'm enjoying it. It has 720 pages. I used to read long books all the time, but lately I groan when I think of anything longer than 400 pages, so I'm forcing myself. The internet is making me lazier and my attention span shorter.
Blush
TH Master

Post by Blush »

Sílvia wrote:The internet is making me lazier and my attention span shorter.
Me, too!
mellenhead
Shoulder Eater

Post by mellenhead »

Beverly wrote:I'm about halfway through Bring up the Bodies, the sequel to Wolf Hall. Loving it.
I LOVED those books.

I'm just about finished with China Rich Girlfriend by Kevin Kwan, which is the follow up to Crazy Rich Asians. It's ok - not as good as the first book.

I'm also reading Pirate Hunters: Treasure Obsession, and the search for a legendary pirate ship by Robert Kurson. Super interesting so far.
Blush
TH Master

Post by Blush »

I finished A Dangerous Age. I hated it. I only finished because it was short.

Now I'm going to start The guy who pumps your gas hates you by Sean Trinder.
mellenhead
Shoulder Eater

Post by mellenhead »

Finished China Rich Girlfriend. Hated the last 50 pages or so. So, I guess I really didn't like the book overall.

Started an audiobook - The Three - by Sarah Lotz (I think). It's pretty interesting so far. I keep reading good reviews of her new book Day Four and figured I should "read" this one first.
Bugsy
Noodles and Corn

Post by Bugsy »

Still reading "Pillars of the Earth." Holy crap it's long (I'm only 40% through it and seem to have been reading it forever!). I'm not quite getting why Silvia thinks it's "fun," but I am liking the story so far.

And I also started the audiobook of "The Chaperone" by Laura Moriarty on my drive to and from helping my sister on Monday. It's excellent.
Sílvia
Trophy Wife

Post by Sílvia »

That's what I mean, it's entertaining! And yeah, it's long.

I'm loving Three Daughters! More on that when I'm done.
Blush
TH Master

Post by Blush »

I read The Guy who pumps your gas hates you in a couple hours. It was different, and good. Now I'm on to non fiction. Bad Faith: when religious belief undermines modern medicine, by Paul Offit.
Blush
TH Master

Post by Blush »

I finished Bad Faith last night. Very disturbing but glad I read it.

Next up is the new one from Judy Blume. It's a two week loan so I'm starting with it from yesterday's haul.
mellenhead
Shoulder Eater

Post by mellenhead »

Over the weekend I read Pirate Hunters: Treasure, Obsession and the Search for a Legendary Pirate Ship by Robert Kurson. SO SO good. I couldn't put it down.

Now I'm reading Down the Rabbit Hole: Curious Adventures and Cautionary Tales of a Former Playboy Bunny by Holly Madison. :lol It's good so far!
Rowan
Stinky Ho Zat Changed Zeh Channel

Post by Rowan »

Lots of reading this weekend!

Constant fear / Daniel Palmer. When I read this, didn't know he was Michael Palmer's son. I liked it and will read more of his.

Four : a divergent collection / Veronica Roth. Meh. Loved the Divergent series. Had to read this but could have seriously skipped it.

Luckiest girl alive / Jessica Knoll. I really was sucked into this. Not fantastic writing but I whipped through it.

Still life with husband : a novel / Lauren Fox. Bah. I don't know why I read adultery-ish books. They always annoy me.

Not sure what's next. I have a stack waiting at the library.
Sílvia
Trophy Wife

Post by Sílvia »

I have the sample of Luckiest Girl, Ro. It's making all the lists. I'm curious.

Finished Three Daughters. It started womderfully, I loved the story of the first daughter. Then it went downhill. The middle dragged, then turned soap-opera-ish, which was fun. I'd given it 4 stars, but then revised it to 3. It was more like 5 stars for the first part, 2 for the second, 3 for the third. A good read. Not excellent, but I was turning the last 150 pages fast.

Then I started Where They Found Her on Blush's recommendation. So far it's ok, nothing happened yet that was not on the blurb.
Spudd
TH Master

Post by Spudd »

I just finished "Is Everybody Hanging out Without Me" by Mindy Kaling. It was pretty entertaining - about what you'd expect.

I think I'm going to read a Patricia Cornwell next but I can't recall the title.
Blush
TH Master

Post by Blush »

Last night I finished In the Unlikely Event by Judy Blume. It was good, but not outstanding.

Now I have Single, Carefree, Mellow by Katherine Heiny. It's a book of short stories and supposedly funny.
Spudd
TH Master

Post by Spudd »

I decided against the Patricia Cornwell. It turned out it was the 11th in the series, and I haven't read the first 10. Or maybe I've read one of them but I don't remember anything.

So instead I'm reading a sci-fi called Mindstar Rising by Peter F. Hamilton. I'm only a little ways in, but so far it's pretty good.
Rowan
Stinky Ho Zat Changed Zeh Channel

Post by Rowan »

I read Primates of Park Avenue and it was soooo disappointing. Ugh. I waited so long for it.

I've been toting around Cain and Abe by James Grippando but have yet to start it.