September! What are you reading?

Moderator: Malanee

mellenhead
Shoulder Eater

Re: September! What are you reading?

Post by mellenhead »

Finished Everybody Rise by Stephanie Clifford. Meh. Not sure why it was on all the "summer must read lists".

I'm about halfway through The Prize - Who's in Charge of America's Schools. It's about when Mark Zuckerberg pledged $100 million to Newark schools and no one could really figure out what to do with it. It's really good, but also sad.

I have the new Franzen at home too and I don't know if I'm going to read it. It's sounds incredibly bizarre.
Spudd
TH Master

Post by Spudd »

I forgot to mention, I read the Hyperbole and a Half book in like 2 hours one day. I quite enjoyed it. I have read a couple of her blog posts but I wasn't a regular reader - so I have no idea how much of it was original content and how much was reposts from the blog.

My current read is Shift (the sequel to Wool) by Hugh Howey. I'm absolutely loving it.
Bugsy
Noodles and Corn

Post by Bugsy »

So...about Wool. It is something like 5 stories combined into one continuous story? Because I read the complete set (I think) in one sitting; it was packaged as "Wool Omnibus" or something like that. Just want to make sure I'm not missing anything of the story!
Sílvia
Trophy Wife

Post by Sílvia »

Finished the Sophie Kinsella (Remember Me?) Loved it! Chick lit at its funniest. The only other book by her I'd read was the first Shopaholic and I hated it. That was 10 years ago, maybe? This book made me question my judgement back then :headscratch Totally made me want to read her other books.

Still reading Secrets of a Charmed Life. I like it, but I got derailed by the other book. And this is why I don't usually read 2 novels at the same time.
mellenhead
Shoulder Eater

Post by mellenhead »

Bugsy, yeah. The Wool Omnibus was the "full" Wool book - the author originally released it as 5 individual e-books. Then there is Shift and Dust, books #2 and #3 in the "Silo Series". They are both really good. If you liked Wool, read those! I think Spudd is reading Shift now.
Bugsy
Noodles and Corn

Post by Bugsy »

Ahh, so there are different books as well. I thought Shift and Dust were part of Wool, so yep those need to be added to my to-be-read list. Thanks for clarifying!
Spudd
TH Master

Post by Spudd »

Silvia, I hated that Shopaholic book too. I also read "Shopaholic and Sister" and it was equally awful.
Sílvia
Trophy Wife

Post by Sílvia »

Have you read any of her stand-alone novels?
Spudd
TH Master

Post by Spudd »

No, I haven't. Sorry!
Sílvia
Trophy Wife

Post by Sílvia »

Oh, ok. I might try one of them. Thanks.
mellenhead
Shoulder Eater

Post by mellenhead »

Finished reading The Prize - Who's in Charge of America's Schools. It was really good, but really sad that the money has basically been squandered. An article just popped up yesterday in my feed about how all the $$$ didn't really change anything in Newark.

I tried to read Purity - just no. I'm over Franzen.

I just picked up A Window Opens by Elisabeth Egan and The Hired Girl by Laura Amy Schlitz
Blush
TH Master

Post by Blush »

I finished Silver Girl by Elin Hildebrand. It was really good.

Next up is a biography: The Real Doctor Will See You Shortly: A Physician's First Year by Matt McCarthy.
Bugsy
Noodles and Corn

Post by Bugsy »

I finished "The Girl on the Train" by Paula Hawkins. It was pretty decent. Certainly suspenseful and pretty good writing. I didn't love it, but it was fine. Not sure what's next.

Jason is loving "Pillars" and is now recommending it to everyone he talks to. :giggle
Sílvia
Trophy Wife

Post by Sílvia »

I finished Secrets of a Charmed Life. WW2 drama. Loved it.

Then I read Perfect Match by Jodi Picoult. It was her usual stuff. Highly readable, with the usual twists. Decent.

Not sure what's next. I'm reading the sample of Jane Eyre. We'll see. I read an abridged version when I was in 6th grade.
Blush
TH Master

Post by Blush »

Last night I finished "The Real Doctor Will See You Shortly" by Matt McCarthy. It was quite enjoyable and interesting.

Next up is "All The Difference" by Leah Ferguson.
Spudd
TH Master

Post by Spudd »

Last night I finished Shift, by Hugh Howey. I loved it to pieces. (it's the sequel to Wool, don't read it without having read Wool first)

Then I started Dust, the next book in the series.