October: what are you reading?

Moderator: Malanee

Blush
TH Master

Re: October: what are you reading?

Post by Blush »

I did read Life After Life. I liked it ok. This one is supposed to be more straightforward, no time travel, which suits me better. ;)
Bugsy
Noodles and Corn

Post by Bugsy »

I finished "In the Unlikely Event" by Judy Blume last night. Will start "Grace" by T. Greenwood next.
Sílvia
Trophy Wife

Post by Sílvia »

Bugsy wrote:I finished "In the Unlikely Event" by Judy Blume last night.
And..?
Bugsy
Noodles and Corn

Post by Bugsy »

Ha sorry, I was on the plane and being instructed to go into airplane mode when I posted that. I liked it! It has interesting characters, whose lives overlap with one another, and it had a bit of that classic Judy Blume wrt adolescence. But this is for adults and felt as such. Honestly, it makes me want to reread some of her books that I'd devoured as a teen and don't remember so well anymore. I agree with Blush that it's not my favorite of the year or anything, but it's worth checking out.

I read a bunch of "Grace" on the plane home today and am digging it so far, though it has me waiting for a moment of horribleness that seems to be on the brink of happening.
Last edited by Bugsy on Mon Oct 26, 2015 9:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
Sílvia
Trophy Wife

Post by Sílvia »

Thanks for elaborating! I've never read any Judy Blume.

I wasn't crazy about Grace, but I hope you'll like it. Her writing is as good as usual, though.
mellenhead
Shoulder Eater

Post by mellenhead »

I read Welcome to the Night Vale. I liked it but it was weird.

Now I'm about halfway through The Heart Goes Last by Margaret Atwood. It's excellent so far. Curious to see if I'll like the ending. The goodreads crowd seems very split on this book, people either love it or hate it.
Blush
TH Master

Post by Blush »

I just finished A God in Ruins. I think could have used a bit of editing; I found it rambly. As a rambly person myself I really notice it and get annoyed (at the writing, and myself).

Next up is Furiously Happy by Jenny Lawson. I doubt it will take long. I read the first few chapters (essays?) in the car on the way home from the library.
Sílvia
Trophy Wife

Post by Sílvia »

Finished The Mountain Story. It was very, very good. 4 stars, though, because there were certain things I hated, but won't mention, because that would be spoilerish. But I still really, really enjoyed it in spite of these flaws (to me.) I already downloaded a sample of her The Girls. Have you read that, Blush?

I started the sample of Memoirs of an Imaginary Friend by Matthew Dicks/Green. I'm afraid this will be another one of those cutesy books that everybody likes except me. I'll finish the sample and decide.
Blush
TH Master

Post by Blush »

Yes,The Girls was good. I really liked The Wife's Tale and Rush Home Road!

I finished Furiously Happy last night. It was glad, about what I expected.

Now I have The Girl on the Train.