December! What are you reading?

Moderator: Malanee

Rowan
Stinky Ho Zat Changed Zeh Channel

December! What are you reading?

Post by Rowan »

I just finished Black Eyed Susans by Julia Heaberlin. I liked it!

Not sure what's next on my pile.
mellenhead
Shoulder Eater

Re: December! What are you reading?

Post by mellenhead »

I started Library of Souls by Ransom Riggs, the last book in the trilogy. It's pretty good so far. Took me a little bit to get into it since it's been awhile since the last book.
Blush
TH Master

Post by Blush »

I'm pausing the library book I was reading. Today I got about halfway through After the War is Over by Jennifer Robson. It's the sequel to Somewhere in France but it could stand alone.
Sílvia
Trophy Wife

Post by Sílvia »

I decided against The Good Girl because I thought 2 psychological thrillers about women with amnesia in a row was too much. Maybe some other time.

Then I started Us by David Nicholls. I saw Mellen gave it 2 stars, so I have high hopes :lol (I saw it after I'd started. Didn't buy it *because* Mellen didn't like it.)
mellenhead
Shoulder Eater

Post by mellenhead »

Sílvia wrote:Then I started Us by David Nicholls. I saw Mellen gave it 2 stars, so I have high hopes :lol (I saw it after I'd started. Didn't buy it *because* Mellen didn't like it.)
:rofl
Rowan
Stinky Ho Zat Changed Zeh Channel

Post by Rowan »

I liked Us but it was too loooooong.

Not sure how we fit together with liking books Syl. Although mellen and I are pretty spot on it seems although I no likely historical fiction. Wish I did.
Bugsy
Noodles and Corn

Post by Bugsy »

Yesterday I returned "Full Catastrophe Living" by Jon Kabat-Zinn to the library. I didn't finish it--got about 2/3 through--but didn't really feel a need to. It had decent content but was getting incredibly repetitive and wasn't a whole of of new information for me. Dan Harris's "10% Happier" was a way better meditation info book, IMO.

My book club meets on Saturday night, so I'm waiting to start something new until then. I am excited, though, that I'm 3rd in line for "A Brief History of Seven Killings" by Marlon James. From what Blush said about it and what I've read, I have high expectations of that one but am a little nervous about its intensity.
Blush
TH Master

Post by Blush »

I just finished After the War is Over by Jennifer Robson. It was good, but I liked Somewhere in France better.

Next up is a Linwood Barclay novel.
Sílvia
Trophy Wife

Post by Sílvia »

Rowan wrote:I liked Us but it was too loooooong.

Not sure how we fit together with liking books Syl. Although mellen and I are pretty spot on it seems although I no likely historical fiction. Wish I did.
I love historical fiction. And I'd know more about your tastes if you came to play with us on goodreads!
mellenhead
Shoulder Eater

Post by mellenhead »

I finished Library of Souls by Ransom Riggs. Last book in the trilogy. It was really good and I loved the ending.

I started Winter by Marissa Meyer last night, which is the last book in The Lunar Chronicles.
Spudd
TH Master

Post by Spudd »

I just finished Child 44 by Tom Rob Smith. It was really compelling once I got into it but it was slow going at first.

Not sure what I'll read next.
Blush
TH Master

Post by Blush »

Yesterday I finished Trust Your Eyes by Linwood Barclay. It was good, there were a few twists.

Now I have Someone Special by Sheila O'Flanagan. It doesn't get great reviews on Goodreads but I paid only 50 cents for it.
Blush
TH Master

Post by Blush »

I finished the Sheila O'Flanagan book. It was fine for a beach read. I handed all my books into the front desk, but I think I know why there are only French and German books to choose from when I asked about the "library": when I walked away and happened to turn around, all the desk staff were gathering to look over my contributions. :)

Now I have The Martian.
Sílvia
Trophy Wife

Post by Sílvia »

Finished and loved Us by David Nicholls. I enjoyed almost every single page. Several laugh out loud moments for me. 4 stars only because I wasn't crazy about the character of the wife.

Started When the Moon is Low about a family that escapes Kabul after the Taliban takes over. Rave reviews and I have a strong feeling I'll agree with the hype this time.
Bugsy
Noodles and Corn

Post by Bugsy »

I'm listening to the audiobook of "Being Mortal" by Atul Gawande. Loving it--I find myself nodding along in agreement quite a lot--but wishing it was narrated by the author. The reader is fine, but it's always nice when the author does it.
Bugsy
Noodles and Corn

Post by Bugsy »

"Being Mortal" was excellent. I really recommend this one highly.

Two library holds came in this week: a graphic novel by Neil Gaiman ("The Sandman") and "Nature Anatomy" by Julia Rothman. The former is huge, literally like a textbook. It's going to be an interesting experience reading that one! The latter is mostly just for fun, but hopefully I learn some things too. I own her book "Farm Anatomy," and it was so fun to peruse.
Blush
TH Master

Post by Blush »

I finished The Past by Tessa Hadley. Blech. No plot to speak of, unrealistic dialogue.

I only got about 20 pages into The Martian before we came home from Jamaica, and it's not a library book, so I'm going to save it for another trip.

Now I've got The Perfect Comeback of Caroline Jacobs by Matthew Dicks. It looks entertaining (starts off with a quiet woman telling off the bitchy PTO president!).
Spudd
TH Master

Post by Spudd »

Last week I started "8 Minute Meditation", I forget who it's by. It's an 8-week program to teach you to meditate, you do it for 8 minutes a day. So far it's going okay, I guess. I don't feel like it's working super well but the book says that's normal and not to worry about it.

I'm also reading "The Book of Speculation" by Erika Swyler which is pretty good so far.
mellenhead
Shoulder Eater

Post by mellenhead »

Finished Winter by Marissa Meyer - it was the last book in the series. The beginning dragged a tab but overall it was really good and tied everything together nicely. I think nearly 800 pages was a bit much though.
Bugsy
Noodles and Corn

Post by Bugsy »

Spudd wrote:Last week I started "8 Minute Meditation", I forget who it's by. It's an 8-week program to teach you to meditate, you do it for 8 minutes a day. So far it's going okay, I guess. I don't feel like it's working super well but the book says that's normal and not to worry about it.
Yep, the part that matters is that you're doing it. Don't strive for a particular result; just put in the time. What happens happens.

I hadn't heard of this book. Adding it to the list!