February! What are you reading?

Moderator: Malanee

Sílvia
Trophy Wife

February! What are you reading?

Post by Sílvia »

The other Brazilian also sucked. Or at least I couldn't get into it. Then I read The Good Neighbor by A.J. Banner, and it sucked even more :angrywife

Then I started Three Amazing Things About You by Jill Mansell. So far I like it. It's chick lit, but supposedly good chick lit. We'll see.
Bugsy
Noodles and Corn

Re: February! What are you reading?

Post by Bugsy »

Working through The Lazlo Letters, which I heard about briefly somewhere recently (Twitter maybe). Then there was a copy in my work break room that was up for grabs, so I took it. It's pretty odd but sort of funny.

And A Brief HIstory of 7 Killings actually came in for me at the library, so I've tried giving that another go. I'm a bit more than halfway through, and it's just not doing it for me. It seems to be the most effective book in some time at putting me to sleep, actually. I'll hold out for a tiny bit more since it's been pretty widely acclaimed, but I may end up giving up on it. :(
Rowan
Stinky Ho Zat Changed Zeh Channel

Post by Rowan »

Moved from Jan because...duh....

Finished You by Caroline Kepnes last night. Wow! It was great but totally offensive and graphic. So if you're easily offended, avoid but if not, I highly recommend.

I brought something new for lunch but 5 pages in and I know I will hate it so I stopped. Not sure what's next.
Blush
TH Master

Post by Blush »

I finished 10% Happier. It was pretty good but I found the author a little annoying.

Next up is a novel called The One That Got Away by Bethany Chase.
Blush
TH Master

Post by Blush »

I finished The One Who Got Away. It was enjoyable. Maybe meant for a slightly younger audience.

Now I've got a book of essays called I was told there'd be cake by Sloane Crosley.
mellenhead
Shoulder Eater

Post by mellenhead »

I feel like I'm finally getting out of a major book slump. I'm about halfway through The Longest Night by Andria Williams. It's really good so far.
Sílvia
Trophy Wife

Post by Sílvia »

Finished Three Amazing Things About You. It was sappy, melodramatic, predictable, the characters were all caricatures. Yet I couldn't put it down :lol It was a nice read. I'll certainly read more by her.

Not sure what's next.
Bugsy
Noodles and Corn

Post by Bugsy »

Gave up on ABHOSK. :( I hate giving up on books. Haven't started anything new yet.
mellenhead
Shoulder Eater

Post by mellenhead »

Finished up The Longest Night by Andria Williams. It was quite good! I think it was a debut novel.

I had about 7 holds come in at once. I think I might start The Revenant next. Hopefully it's good, I've read a couple reviews that it's *ACTION* *GORE* then like 2 chapters about how exactly to start a fire.
Sílvia
Trophy Wife

Post by Sílvia »

Bugsy, I used to hate giving up on books. I NEVER gave up. Then some years ago I said fuck it, I'm too old to waste time on books I don't like. I make more of an effort if it's something I paid for, but a library book? Pfft. Next!

Mellen, I looked that book (The Longest Night) up on kindle (because you know, we do agree occasionally :)) but it costs 25 effing dollars! :angrywife No way. I'm not even paying 19 for the new one by my beloved Kate Morton. That's ridiculous.

I started A Gathering Storm by Rachel Hore. I'd had the sample forever. It's a slow starter, but I think I'll like it eventually. It's historical fiction/romance.
Blush
TH Master

Post by Blush »

I finished I was told there'd be cake. It was pretty good, if also meant for a younger audience. I'm running up against that more frequently.

Haven't decided what's next.

Edit: ok I'm going to try Midnight on Lime Street by Ruth Hamilton. It's historical fiction set in Liverpool.
mellenhead
Shoulder Eater

Post by mellenhead »

Sil, maybe it's so expensive since it's new? That's crazy.

I finished The Revenant by Michael Punke. This time period is usually so not my thing but this book was REALLY good. Then I went and watched the trailer for the movie since it's had so much hype and the trailer just didn't do much for me. Oh well. The book is always better.

Editing to add:

Finished Girl Through Glass by Sari Wilson. It's about a ballerina and it flips between her adult life and her early teens and why she left ballet. I didn't figure the twist out (although I should have) so it was a pretty good read.

Tried to read Eternity Street: Violence and Justice in Frontier Los Angeles but it was a total snoozefest.
Blush
TH Master

Post by Blush »

I finished Midnight on Lime Street. It was good, and I will look for more by Ruth Hamilton.

Next up is Think Like a Freak.
Sílvia
Trophy Wife

Post by Sílvia »

Finished A Gathering Storm. It was good, a little on the slow side, but what ruined it a bit was the fact that the author heavily hinted at a major plot twist in the first few pages of the book. WTF?? Seriously, you'd have to be 12 years old not to get the hint. That certainly spoiled it for me.

Then I started You and Me, Always by Jill Mansell.
Blush
TH Master

Post by Blush »

I just finished Think like a Freak. Very good.

Now: Just What Kind of Mother are you? By Paula Daly. It's British suspense.
Sílvia
Trophy Wife

Post by Sílvia »

Finished You and Me, Always. I didn't like it. Waay too sugary and predictable. My main problem with it was that it's just a romance. Don't get me wrong, I'm not a complete old cynic. I like romance. But it has to come with something else: drama, time-travel, post-apocalypse, a war background. Romance just for the sake of romance bores me. It wasn't even funny. Not to me, anyway.

Now I have the sample of The Forgetting Time. https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/255 ... on=service
Spudd
TH Master

Post by Spudd »

I'm reading "The Microbiome Solution" which is about how your bacteria affect your health. It's an interesting book, but the writing style is really bothering me. She keeps saying stuff like "as you'll see in chapter 19, the Live Dirty, Eat Clean plan". It reads like a freaking infomercial.
Blush
TH Master

Post by Blush »

Yesterday I finished Just What Kind of Mother are you? By Paula Daly. I really like her writing.

Then I started Shelter Me by Juliette Fay. From Goodreads:
In the tradition of Marisa de los Santos and Anne Tyler comes a moving debut about a young mother's year of heartbreak, loss, and forgiveness...and help that arrives from unexpected sources
Rowan
Stinky Ho Zat Changed Zeh Channel

Post by Rowan »

I didn't read all of last week! Not sure the last time that happened....

I'm 3/4 way through the next Caroline Kepnes Hidden Bodies. Loving it! I was reading it while S was driving to hockey and I can pausing to tell him the story (he doesn't read). Will probably finish tonight!