May! What are you reading?

Moderator: Malanee

Blush
TH Master

May! What are you reading?

Post by Blush »

I sped through The Name Therapist by Duana Taha. It was good and exactly what I expected.

Next is a British novel called Paradise City by Elizabeth Day.
Blush
TH Master

Re: May! What are you reading?

Post by Blush »

Paradise City had me riveted--one of those books that weaves the lives of different characters together.

Next up: The Song Collector by Natasha Solomons.
Rowan
Stinky Ho Zat Changed Zeh Channel

Post by Rowan »

Eligible by Curtis Sittenfeld. I was worried because it's a modern day version of Pride and Prejudice which I've never read but I'm really liking it. It's quirky though.
Sílvia
Trophy Wife

Post by Sílvia »

Finished In the Woods by Tana French. Loved it. Well, the ending was less than satisfying, but still 4 stars because that doesn't erase the greatness of the rest of the book. I love how her novels are not *just* murder mysteries (which I'm normally not crazy about. I think they're so formulaic.) She gives life to all her characters, and I ended up caring more about her detectives than about the murder being investigated. It was my second by her (the first was Faithful Place, also very good) and definitely not my last. In fact, I've already started the sample of The Likeness. I can't remember the last time I liked a book so much that I immediately picked up another book from the same author. It also restored my faith in longer books: 593 pages and not a single one of them boring.
Rowan

Post by Rowan »

Eligible was just ok.

I read 2 other meh books at the rink this weekend. The Wonder Garden was one. Rave reviews but I thought it was awful.

I'm reading Shanghai Girls by Lisa See right now that is really just great.
Spudd
TH Master

Post by Spudd »

I finished The Admissions by Meg someone Moore the other day, and really liked it.

Now I'm reading "The Snowball" by Alice Someone about Warren Buffett.
Sílvia
Trophy Wife

Post by Sílvia »

Did you get your kindle back, Spudd?
Spudd
TH Master

Post by Spudd »

No, not till Father's Day. I'm reading on my ipad for now, which sucks but is workable.
Sílvia
Trophy Wife

Post by Sílvia »

Why don't you ask them to mail it?
Spudd
TH Master

Post by Spudd »

I don't want to put my dad out. I'm sure he would do it but it's not that big of a deal.
Sílvia
Trophy Wife

Post by Sílvia »

Oh, ok. I guess I'm more addicted than you :)
Rowan

Post by Rowan »

I liked Shanghai Girls but I thought the ending was rushed and incomplete. Almost like her publisher said: book is due - give me whatever you have.

I read a decluttering book last night. Instead of actually decluttering. Hahaha. I suck.

Up next is The Last Girl by John?Joe? Hart. A recommendation from a friend. Dystopian apparently.
Blush
TH Master

Post by Blush »

I finished The Song Collector. I loved it. I really like Natasha Solomons.

Next up: Poles Apart by Terry Fallis. His stuff usually amuses me.
Sílvia
Trophy Wife

Post by Sílvia »

Ugh. Finished The Likeness, but almost gave it up. Why can't authors be consistently good? This was SO. SLOW. The premise was ridiculous, but I knew about it when I started. But it took her 100 freaking pages to get to the point that was summarized in the blurb. Seriously? When I got to the halfway mark I just started skimming. So many unnecessary dialogs, so much description. There's a lot of things I can get past in a book. Boredom is not one of them.

Next up is Orphan Train. I bought it without even reading the sample because it was 3 dollars on kindle. It has happened to me before to see a book I want for 2-3 dollars, then I don't buy it immediately and when I do decide to buy it it's up to 8-10 dollars, so when I saw Orphan Train for that price I just bought it. Hope I like it.
Rowan

Post by Rowan »

Syl, I can't remember how we stack up in regards to book liking but I really liked Orphan Train!
Rowan

Post by Rowan »

I abandoned The Last Girl. I didn't like the writing.

I read Every Fifteen Minutes by Lisa Scottoline. I know I've liked stuff from her in the past but I thought her dialog was just clumsy.

Not sure what's next on the pile.
Sílvia
Trophy Wife

Post by Sílvia »

Ro, I know, I remember you mentioned it the other day :) I think we agree more often than not. We'll see. I'm 33% in and so far I like it.
Bugsy
Noodles and Corn

Post by Bugsy »

While camping thus past weekend I finished my book club's selection: "The Mermaid Chair," by Sue Monk Kidd. I can't quite decide how I feel about it. There was some really lovely writing throughout (even dog-eared a couple pages to write down the lines I liked most), but in the end...meh. 3 stars. Maybe 2. The overall premise was just kind of strange, and I'm not sure that it all fit together cleanly. Seemed a bit clumsy or something at times.

And then I started "Quiet: The Power of Introverts in a World That Can't Stop Talking," by Susan Cain. It's OK so far. Not sure it will have any new info, but it's always fun reading about how awesome introverts are. ;)
Sílvia
Trophy Wife

Post by Sílvia »

Uh, didn't like Orphan Train much. Sorry, Ro! I thought the writing was too simplistic, the story too predictable. I did, however, want to finish it, which is more than I can say about many books out there, and was never bored. The pacing was good.

Then I started a Sophie Hannah. I think it's Hurting Distance. Her books always grip me from page 1, but the last one I read (Little Face) had a really stupid resolution after all that grippingness. I hope this one's better.
Blush
TH Master

Post by Blush »

I finished Poles Apart by Terry Fallis. It was interesting and amusing.

Next is an older one by Kate Atkinson called One Good Turn.