May! What are you reading?

Moderator: Malanee

Sílvia
Trophy Wife

Re: May! What are you reading?

Post by Sílvia »

I realized I'd read a spoiler about the Sophie Hannah, so I gave it up. I really should stop reading people's reviews on goodreads.

Then I read In a Dark, Dark Wood, which I ranted about in my culture thread. It was completely forgettable. Laughable plot. Shame, it started well. Not sure what's next. I signed up for a free 1-month trial of kindle unlimited yesterday. It's 99% crap (erotica, self-help, authors no one's heard of), but there are millions of books, so you might find something interesting in that 1%. I found a Katherine Webb and The Winter People (Jennifer McMahon?), which had been on my radar, so far. It also has The Hunger Games. Apparently I'm the only THer who hasn't read it. We'll see. At least if I'm gonna read crap, I'd rather pay 6 dollars per month instead of 6-10 per book! It's pretty much like a library, if you consider the money you'd spend on gas to get to one. Anyway, I'm not too hopeful, I'll probably cancel after a month or 2.
Blush
TH Master

Post by Blush »

I have not read the Hunger Games!
Sílvia
Trophy Wife

Post by Sílvia »

I'm reading The Year We Turned Forty by Liz Fenton and Lisa Steinke. It seemed like a fun concept (3 friends turning 50 go back in time to the year they turned 40 to change events in their lives), but so far I'm bored. 34% in. So much so that last night, after watching the preview of Me Before You, I started re-reading it in preparation for the movie. Only picked up The Year... after I'd been reading Me Before You for half an hour!
Bugsy
Noodles and Corn

Post by Bugsy »

Finished "Quiet," and I loved it. 5 stars. Highly recommended.

I have "The Burgess Boys" by Elizabeth Strout on audio book for my drive to and from hometown today, and I also started "Tiger Eyes" by Judy Blume for a quick read.
Blush
TH Master

Post by Blush »

I finished One Good Turn, and I really liked it. I kinda wish I'd read these Kate Atkinson books in order but they still make sense.

Next up: a novel called As Close to Us as Breathing by Elizabeth Polner. 1948, summer, Connecticut beach town.
Sílvia
Trophy Wife

Post by Sílvia »

Yeah, The Year we Turned Forty was meh. Fourth book I don't like in a row :cuss I was curious about how it would end, though. But other than the time travel aspect, the plot was so mundane.

I started The Legacy by Katherine Webb on kindle unlimited, and I've already canceled my subscription because I don't think it's worth it (the few interesting books I found there are cheap to buy anyway, so not worth the subscription), but this one's on my free trial, so yay! Free book. I like it so far.

Blush, do these detective novels by Kate Atkinson follow the same mindfuck pattern of Life After Life? Because I've been curious, but I was deeply frustrated by that book. I felt like the moment I was getting engrossed in one of the plotlines in that one, it'd be over. Are these more, say, linear?
Blush
TH Master

Post by Blush »

Definitely more linear. They all follow a couple of main characters and then each separate novel has different tertiary characters: each has a story and they weave together at the end.