Juin! What are you reading?

Moderator: Malanee

Rowan
Stinky Ho Zat Changed Zeh Channel

Juin! What are you reading?

Post by Rowan »

:)

I'm reading Redemption Road by John Hart. I usually love his stuff but this one is taking me a bit to get through.

I also have The Fireman by Joe Hill that I'll be bringing to Montreal. I think I need to hit the library for a few more.
mellenhead
Shoulder Eater

Re: Juin! What are you reading?

Post by mellenhead »

I think I am finally getting out of my months long reading slump.

I'm just about done with All The Birds in the Sky by Charlie Jane Anders. It's really good.
Sílvia
Trophy Wife

Post by Sílvia »

Just finished The Book of Unknown Americans. LOVED it. Reminded me of why I read. More like this, please!
Spudd
TH Master

Post by Spudd »

Sil, thanks for the recommendation! I was able to borrow it from the library with no hold wait.
Sílvia
Trophy Wife

Post by Sílvia »

I hope you like it, Spudd! I did, but opinions are like asses and all that...

Speaking of which, I read the sample of All My Puny Sorrows and was unimpressed. In my experience, the kindle sample is more than enough to know if I'll like a book or not. Then I saw Mellen gave it 5 stars and was even more convinced :lol

Then I started Cutting for Stone. I like the sample so far, but I don't know. It's so long. Long books these days tend to bore me. I can't believe I'm saying this. I loved long books when I was younger. Old age, I guess.
Blush
TH Master

Post by Blush »

Sílvia wrote: Long books these days tend to bore me. I can't believe I'm saying this. I loved long books when I was younger. Old age, I guess.
:ditto
Blush
TH Master

Post by Blush »

I finished As Close to Us as Breathing by Elizabeth Poliner. It was fine.

Next: a thriller by Elizabeth Haynes called Into the Darkest Corner.
Rowan

Post by Rowan »

I finished Redemption Road. What a slog but I had made it through that point of no return so I couldn't stop it.

I read the Admissions by Meg Mitchell Moore which was good not great but a fast read.

I started Most Wanted by Lisa Scottoline last night. I like the premise, I hope I like the writing. A woman is pregnant with donor sperm and finds out her donor is a serial killer.
mellenhead
Shoulder Eater

Post by mellenhead »

Sílvia wrote:Then I saw Mellen gave it 5 stars and was even more convinced :lol
:giggle

Finished up All The Birds in the Sky by Charlie Jane Anders and really loved it. It was this weird mash up of sci/fi, fantasy, dystopian....but it worked.

Next up is The Romanovs 1613-1918 by Simon Sebag Montefiore.
Bugsy
Noodles and Corn

Post by Bugsy »

I finished the audiobook of "The Burgess Boys," by Elizabeth Strout. It was very good--sort of a family saga, intense at times, but complex and very well-written. I also liked "Olive Kitteridge" by the same author, which was amazing because I normally dislike short stories. Just added a few more of her books to my Goodreads list!

The next one will be "All the Light We Cannot See" by Anthony Doerr. It's the next book club books and looks like it might be a tough one. Silvia, you only gave it 2 stars? Eek.
Sílvia
Trophy Wife

Post by Sílvia »

Elizabeth Strout is the author of My Name is Lucy Barton? I need to try some of her stuff. Yes, I gave All the Light... 2 stars, but don't mind me. Everyone else and their mother seems to have loved it. I tend to dislike more high-brow, award-winning literature. I find most of it boring. I usually go for the popular stuff.
Rowan

Post by Rowan »

NOT liking the writing in the Lisa Scottoline. The dialog is terrible which is what I felt the last one of hers I read.

I'm paraphrasing here:

Woman knocks on door.

Knocker: Hi. I'm working for a lawyer in town. Can I ask you some questions?
Knockee: Hi. My name is Carolyn Jones. I am a waitress. I can answer your questions.

I've read her female law firm series and the dialog wasn't like this.

But I will finish it because I'm interested but that is it for me with this author.
Spudd
TH Master

Post by Spudd »

Rowan, that sounds truly horrendous. I wouldn't be able to handle it.
Sílvia
Trophy Wife

Post by Sílvia »

Finished The Headmaster's Wife by Thomas Christopher Green. It was interesting enough. At first it seems to be the story of a creepy love affair between a 57-year-old man and an 18-year-old girl (Ew. And headmaster and student, no less) but then about halfway through there's a twist that I didn't see coming. Only 3 stars though because I didn't like the main character.

Not sure what's next. I sort of want to read something by Diane Chamberlain. She seems to be sort of like Jodi Picoult, in that her books can be really, really gripping, but certain things make you roll your eyes. Not that I've read many, just one. But from the blurbs that's the impression I get.
Sílvia
Trophy Wife

Post by Sílvia »

Ugh. I made the mistake of buying We Were Liars by E. Lockhart yesterday. I HATED it. I had such a strong negative reaction to it that I feel it's my duty to spread my review on goodreads: "Ugh. This was painful to read. Extremely boring and pretentious. Choppy sentences and structure. Nouns used as adjectives. The plot didn't seem to be going anywhere, but I kept reading because I paid for it, it was short, and I was promised this HUGE twist at the end. Hm. If you're older than, say, 30-35, you've seen this trick before. More than once. Be warned." What utter crap. Next!
Blush
TH Master

Post by Blush »

Thanks for the warning, Sílvia!

I finished Into the Darkest Corner by Elizabeth Haynes. Very suspenseful!

Now a gentler novel by Jonathan Evison called This is Your Life, Harriet Chance! Widow discovers her husband bought them an Alaskan cruise before he died. She goes.
Blush
TH Master

Post by Blush »

I finished This is Your Life, Harriet Chance! It was ok.

Next up is All Stories are Love Stories by Elizabeth Percer. The plot: the "big one", earthquake wise, hits San Francisco. Different people's lives become intertwined in the aftermath.
mellenhead
Shoulder Eater

Post by mellenhead »

Finished 13 Ways of Looking at a Fat Girl by Mona Awad. It was really good, I could relate to good chunks of the story.

Just started The Romanovs 1613-1918 last night.
Blush
TH Master

Post by Blush »

I finished All Stories are Love Stories by Elizabeth Percer. I loved it.
Next is a thriller by MJ Arlidge called The Doll's House. Apparently it's third in a series about an investigator but will stand alone all right.
Sílvia
Trophy Wife

Post by Sílvia »

I read The Midwife's Confession by Diane Chamberlain. Meh. 2.5 stars. SO. MUCH. DRAMA. Very soap-opera-ish and not in a good way. But yeah, I had to find out how all that mess would end. I'll probably read more by her since I liked her other novel I read (The Silent Sister) and she's written more than 20 books.

Then I started All Stories are Love Stories on Blush's recommendation :awesome I'm only on page 30, but so far I like it!