July! What are you reading?

Moderator: Malanee

Blush
TH Master

Re: July! What are you reading?

Post by Blush »

I finished The Brambles. It was good; I liked the style of writing.

Next I have Love Walked In by Marisa de los Santos.
Spudd
TH Master

Post by Spudd »

Silvia, you didn't see it coming? I saw it a mile away! It kinda ruined the book for me because I was like this BETTER not happen, and of course, it did.

I'm reading Pretty Baby by Mary Kubica right now and it's pretty good. It started off a little slow but now it's really picked up the pace and I'm pretty sucked in.
Sílvia
Trophy Wife

Post by Sílvia »

Spudd, not at all. Should I have? :paranoid I did see what the big twist was in The Lake House, though. I guess I have more experience with historical fiction than with YA. Plus you're smarter than me.

Finished the Brazilian. Loved it. It's a shame it probably won't be translated into English.

Then I started a Harlan Coben because it cost 90 cents. I think it's called Hold Tight. This better not be another waste of a perfectly good dollar.
mellenhead
Shoulder Eater

Post by mellenhead »

Sílvia wrote:
Then I started a Harlan Coben because it cost 90 cents. I think it's called Hold Tight. This better not be another waste of a perfectly good dollar.
I loathe Harlan Coben books if that gives you some hope. :lol
Sílvia
Trophy Wife

Post by Sílvia »

:lol

Why, are they horribly formulaic? But it's ok if you read just one, right?
mellenhead
Shoulder Eater

Post by mellenhead »

Sil, yeah pretty much. Just one is fine. :D
Sílvia
Trophy Wife

Post by Sílvia »

It's gripping so far!
Rowan
Stinky Ho Zat Changed Zeh Channel

Post by Rowan »

I love Harlan Coben! 8)
Sílvia
Trophy Wife

Post by Sílvia »

Tell me which ones you've read!
Sílvia
Trophy Wife

Post by Sílvia »

Finished the Harlan Coben. It was easy, gripping and entertaining and just what I expected. I'll probably have forgotten the plot completely by next week, but it was fun. 3 stars.

Then I started A Stolen Life by Jaycee Dugard. I hope I won't finish it before the 26th, because that's when I'm getting the new Liane Moriarty on kindle :yay I wanna be free to start it right away :eat
Blush
TH Master

Post by Blush »

I finished Love Walked In. I enjoyed it; I like her characters. Then picked up three books that were on hold for me. All three happened to be large print. Is the universe trying to send a message? Anyway, I have to start with The Nest because it's due in 2 weeks, not 3.
Sílvia
Trophy Wife

Post by Sílvia »

Finished A Stolen Life. What a hard book to rate. I have nothing but empathy and respect for her as a human being, for surviving what she did and coming out of it with such a positive attitude. The book, however, was a little disjointed for my taste. And repetitive. And I thought the part about how she was finally freed was totally confusing. I had to google it to understand what had happened.

I think I'm going to start The Thin Woman by Dorothy Cannell. This is the first in a series of 13 and was first published in 1984. I think it belongs in the "cozy mystery" genre, much like Alexander McCall Smith's detective series. You know, chick-lit (though the term hadn't been invented back then) with a murder mystery. She made me laugh from page 1 and I definitely need something light after A Stolen Life. Check it out: https://www.amazon.com.br/Thin-Woman-Do ... thin+woman
mellenhead
Shoulder Eater

Post by mellenhead »

I finished Shrill: Notes from a Loud Woman by Lindy West in one sitting. I love her writing so much, I thought the book was excellent.

Now I'm back to Underground Airlines. I'm only a few chapters in but it's good so far.
Rowan

Post by Rowan »

I'm reading Lily and the Octopus right now and liking it. Its quirky. Although I wouldn't suggest it to someone that has lost a pet recently...as it deals with a sick pet.
Bugsy
Noodles and Corn

Post by Bugsy »

In addition to "The Stone Angel," on Saturday I started a new book on audio (needed something to listen to on my drive to and from hometown). It's "The Jesus Cow" by Michael Perry. He's a Wisconsin guy, and as you may guess from the title, this is a quirky book. The story is only so-so at this point, but the audio was cracking me up. The author narrates, and of course he uses an exaggerated WI accent. Also they routinely refer to beef cattle as "beefers," which makes me laugh as well. We always called them beefers too, but the first time Jason heard the word he about died laughing.
Blush
TH Master

Post by Blush »

I recently heard someone local refer to seagulls as "beach chickens". Ha!
Bugsy
Noodles and Corn

Post by Bugsy »

Oh that's cute. I have also heard something similar for pigeons.
Rowan

Post by Rowan »

We call both seagulls/pigeons rats with wings. They're pretty gross around here.

I finished Lily and the Octopus. It took a weird turn but I liked it.

I started Emily Giffin First Comes Love which is ok so far.
Rowan

Post by Rowan »

Sorry Syl, just saw your question. I only read his stand alone, I don't like his sports agent series. Year listed is year read not necessarily published.

3.5 Tell No One Harlan Coben 2009
3.5 The Woods Harlan Coben 2009
3.5 Just One Look Harlan Coben 2009
4 Hold Tight Harlan Coben 2009
4 The Innocent Harlan Coben 2009
3.5 No Second Chance Harlan Coben 2009
4 Caught Harlan Coben 2010
3.5 Stay Close Harlan Coben 2012
3 Gone for Good Harlan Coben 2013
3.5 Six Years Harlan Coben 2013
Sílvia
Trophy Wife

Post by Sílvia »

Thanks, Ro! No rush, it's not like I was planning to read another one right away. I'll probably read 6 years. Which my mom said was just ok, but she says that about half the books I like. The other half she dislikes completely.

Eeh, the Dorothy Cannell is not working so well. It's funny(ish), but the plot's moving soooo slowly. Plus I got Truly Madly Guilty this morning :yay I opened my kindle at 7 am and it was there! Delivered at 00:01. Of course they didn't give me the 15% discount I'd been promised. Then I e-mailed them, they called me half an hour later asking me if I wanted to delete it and dowload it again with the discount or if I'd rather have a $10 discount on my next purchase. Which was twice as much as my previous discount. Obviously I chose the latter. I love amazon.