August! What are you reading?

Moderator: Malanee

Rowan
Stinky Ho Zat Changed Zeh Channel

August! What are you reading?

Post by Rowan »

I finished The Nest this weekend. I really liked it. Thumbs up.

I have the newest Liane Moriarty in my grubby little hands and will start it shortly. Hope it doesn't disappoint!
Spudd
TH Master

Re: August! What are you reading?

Post by Spudd »

I finished "A Window Opens" and enjoyed it. It was pretty anti-corporate so I was into that aspect of it. :lol

Now I've started "Keepsake" by Kristina Riggle. I don't remember where I got the recommendation for it. I'm only like 6% into it so far, but I'm enjoying it. It's about a hoarder who's told she needs to clean up or her kids might be taken from her.
Sílvia
Trophy Wife

Post by Sílvia »

I should probably warn you all that I thought Truly Madly Guilty was a little slow at first. It did pick up and I ended up loving it, hence the 5-star review, but it's more like a 4.5.

Still reading Who Do You Love by Jennifer Weiner. I like it so far.
mellenhead
Shoulder Eater

Post by mellenhead »

I finished Underground Airlines by Ben Winters. It was ok. I wanted to like it more than I did.

I started the newest Liane Moriarty, Truly Madly Guilty yesterday. Good so far!
Blush
TH Master

Post by Blush »

I finished After You by Jojo Moyes last night. It was good, but didn't reduce me to tears like her other books have done.

Next: Pretty Girls by Karin Slaughter. It's a suspense novel.
Sílvia
Trophy Wife

Post by Sílvia »

Blush, I'm glad you liked After You. Weren't you skeptical before you started? I was. I thought a sequel was a terrible idea, but I ended up loving it. Of course nothing she could possibly write would have the emotional impact of Me Before You, but it was a lovely sequel.

Remember my online friend with whom I started a book club/partnership thing? She sent me SIX books! :lol I was afraid she'd never do her part of the deal and I'd lose my beloved books, but I was so wrong. They are: Disgrace by J.M. Coetzee, Out of My Mind by Sharon M. Draper (YA?), The Sweetness of Tears by Nafisa Haji, Sure Signs of Crazy by Karen Harrington, Bird by Crystal Chan and The Centaur in the Garden by Moacyr Scliar (Brazilian). They all look up my alley with the exception of Coetzee and the Brazilian. We'll see.
Blush
TH Master

Post by Blush »

I was totally skeptical. But yes, it was a nice sequel.
Bugsy
Noodles and Corn

Post by Bugsy »

Ah, too bad about Underground Airlines, Mellenhead. That's disappointing.

I finished "The Jesus Cow" and gave it 2 stars. It was just an odd book, like it didn't quite know what it wanted to be. From the Goodreads reviews this is not as good as his others. Oh well.

I'm now a few chapters into "A Jest of God," by Margaret Laurence.
Rowan

Post by Rowan »

Finished Truly Madly Guilty last night. I agree with Syl that it started out slow. I did really like it and found myself trying to carve out time to read since I wanted to find out what happened next or prior for that matter.

I have a book in the car - the new Megan Abbott?
Sílvia
Trophy Wife

Post by Sílvia »

Finished Who Do You Love by Jennifer Weiner. I liked it. I almost always like her books, but never really love them. She's a solid 3-star author for me. Which is more than I can say about most.

Then I started Sure Signs of Crazy that my friend sent me. I don't like it. Not sure I'll finish it.

Ro, which Megan Abotts have you read? Do you like her? Her name keeps popping up.
Rowan

Post by Rowan »

Syl, I've only read Dare Me which was only a 2.5 star. This new one has a lot of buzz and there's a bazillion holds on it -- so we'll see.
Sílvia
Trophy Wife

Post by Sílvia »

Thanks!
Sílvia
Trophy Wife

Post by Sílvia »

Did finish Sure Signs of Crazy. It was short. And boring. It was about a 12-year-old girl whose mother was in a mental institution for killing her brother and trying to kill her too when they were 2. Pretty much nothing happens. There's almost no plot and the girl is super precocious, which always annoys me.

Then I read Disgrace by J.M. Coetzee (sp?) OMG, it was awful. Well-written and overall readable, so I gave it 2 stars, but the main character is horribly cynical and the book is super violent and depressing. I can't believe this was a Man Booker prize winner and apparently a Nobel prize winner too? :headscratch

So having my friend pick books for me isn't going so well :lol I think I'll read The Perfect Neighbors by Sarah Pekkanen. Chosen by myself, thank you very much.
mellenhead
Shoulder Eater

Post by mellenhead »

I know this is going to be an unpopular opinion but I didn't really love Truly Madly Guilty. I kind of feel like she peaked with Big Little Lies. :paranoid It wasn't bad but it was sloooowwwww. And I there were just some things that annoyed me.

Next up is the new Megan Abbott book, You Will Know Me. I've read Dare Me and The Fever by her and really like them. I agree Rowan, lots of buzz on this one.
Blush
TH Master

Post by Blush »

Pretty Girls by Karin Slaughter knocked me for a loop. Horrifically suspenseful.

Next is a book about a wedding. I need something more gentle! Beautiful Day by Elin Hilderbrand.
Spudd
TH Master

Post by Spudd »

Ugh, I made a typo and lost my post. I hate when that happens. Anyway, here we go again.

I put Pretty Girls on hold at the library on your recommendation, Blush.

Yesterday I finished 2 books:
- Vermilion by Molly Tanzer on audiobook. It's a weird book, but I enjoyed it quite well. Steampunk kind of.
- Keepsake by Kristina Riggles. This was about a hoarder who was told she had to clean up or her kid would be taken away. It was good, nice summer reading. Not too heavy.

On audiobook I started Eternal Eden by Nicole someone, it seems to be a college romance book so far. I got it randomly from Overdrive without anyone's recommendation, so I have only myself and Overdrive to blame if it sucks.

And on actual book, I can't remember. I'll update later if it comes to me.
Blush
TH Master

Post by Blush »

Spudd, I had to skim some parts of Pretty Girls, they were too much for me. But it was a good book.
Sílvia
Trophy Wife

Post by Sílvia »

Too much as in children and puppies being murdered, or in women being beaten/raped?
Blush
TH Master

Post by Blush »

Women beaten and tortured (and raped for good measure). Ugh.
Sílvia
Trophy Wife

Post by Sílvia »

Is it anything like The Never List? Because that one was a bit much for me.