Stinky Ho Zat Changed Zeh Channel

September! What are you reading?

Post by Rowan »

I have Salt to the Sea to start.
Anna
TH Master

Re: September! What are you reading?

Post by Anna »

I need to find something to read while Evan schools. His schooling is online but I like to be there for questions.

Probably Hawaiian history first
Sílvia
Trophy Wife

Post by Sílvia »

I'm still reading Lord of the Flies and hating it with a passion. I'd actually given it up yesterday and gone online to read a summary, but then decided to finish it just because it's such a classic and so short. Most people who hate it seem to feel that way because it's horrifying, but I just hate the writing style. Plus I found the beginning intensely boring.
Blush
TH Master

Post by Blush »

I gave up on The Last Good Girl. The premise was good but the writing was awful.

Next I'm trying What We Find by Robyn Carr. Neurosurgeon who finds herself in a lawsuit.
Rowan

Post by Rowan »

Yesterday I read Salt to the Sea by Ruta Septys. I liked it but maybe i wasn't paying attention because I'm not sure what happened to one of the characters. Let me know if anyone has read this that can help shed some light for me.

Today I finished All the Ugly and Wonderful Things by Bryn Greenwood which has a ton of controversy because it involved statutory rape. I liked the book but I can see why there's lots of discussion on it.

Not sure what's next on the pile but I got a stack so I'm not worried!
Sílvia
Trophy Wife

Post by Sílvia »

Ooh, I just marked Ruta Sepe...? 's previous book as "want to read". Those sound up my alley, Ro.

All the Ugly... is on my list, too. Statutory Rape is when an adult has sex with a minor in the US, right? No matter the age? Even if the minor's 17? Please enlighten me. Niko has a friend who's 13 older than his wife, and when they started dating she was 14 and he was 27 (!!). I don't think it's a crime here. They're still together 24 years later and have 3 kids.

I finished Lord of the Flies :yay I'd give it minus 1 star if I could. I'm also reading my friend's book, which is... no good :crystal I feel awful and will obviously tell her good things about it. There are good points. But ugh.

I'm reading the sample of The Girl You Lost by Kathryn Croft and will probably buy it.
Blush
TH Master

Post by Blush »

Ugh, this Robyn Carr book is pretty bad. The concept is good, but she skips over things. Like all of a sudden the the main character is sleeping with a guy. One page she hates him, next page she has a crush, next page they are in bed, next page he's gone on a trail hike for a month and she's miserable.

And her father and stepfather are far too chummy.
Rowan

Post by Rowan »

Syl, yes but the age of consent is designated by the state not federal government.
Sílvia
Trophy Wife

Post by Sílvia »

Ok, thanks, Ro.

I'm reading the Kathryn Croft and I don't like it. I don't like the writing, it's very uninspired and amateurish. The plot's not bad, and it moves at a decent pace, so I'll probably finish it. I briefly considered asking amazon for a refund, which is something I learned from a friend you can do if it's been only 1-2 days after a purchase, but I was already more than halfway through and it only cost 3 dollars. But I feel bitter about wasting my time. Oh well.
Bugsy
Noodles and Corn

Post by Bugsy »

I am in such a reading slump all of a sudden! All I've been reading for the last couple of weeks are Amsterdam guide books.
Spudd
TH Master

Post by Spudd »

I finished "The Duke and I". It was fun, I enjoyed it. I found it a little too simplistic but not excessively so.

Then I started trying to read "Euphoria" by Lily King but had the opposite problem, it was too complex and difficult to read. I made it through 2 chapters and then abandoned ship. Maybe I'll read it later, but for now I couldn't manage it.
Bugsy
Noodles and Corn

Post by Bugsy »

Spudd, "Euphoria" is a bit rough at the beginning, but it gets so much better.
Rowan

Post by Rowan »

I ready Harmony by Carolyn Parkhurst. I liked it and it was an easy read. I read it in a night which I never do anymore. But not because it was that good but just because it was quiet and i could.
Blush
TH Master

Post by Blush »

I finished What we Find. It was just meh; it meandered and then skipped over plot developments.

I've just started The Ex by Alafair Burke, a suspense story set in New York. I'm one chapter in and already it's gripping.
Sílvia
Trophy Wife

Post by Sílvia »

Euphoria has been on my radar forever, but hearing about a rough beginning is not doing anything for it. I'm too old for slow starters. Hook me by page 5 or don't hook me at all.

I'm reading such an adorable Brazilian YA. It's about an overweight girl who becomes a plus size model after surviving the hell of high school years. I wish I'd read it in my teen years, but alas, the author hadn't been born yet :lol She's 24. I also wish it were translated into English, but the chances of that happening are slim.
Blush
TH Master

Post by Blush »

I just finished The Ex by Alafair Burke. Quick read, kept me guessing. I'll definitely look for more by her.

Next is Keep me Posted by Lisa Beazley.
From Goodreads:
Two sisters share the surprising highs and cringe-worthy lows of social media fame, when their most private thoughts become incredibly public in this fresh and funny debut novel.
Spudd
TH Master

Post by Spudd »

I remembered what I started after I abandoned Euphoria. "The Selection" by Kiera Cass. It's a total Hunger Games ripoff crossed with The Bachelor. But it's pretty entertaining.
Rowan

Post by Rowan »

Spudd, I read all those Keira Cass novels. *ducks in shame*
Spudd
TH Master

Post by Spudd »

You must be where I got the recommendation from! :lol It's funny because it's one of those books where the intellectual part of you is like "I can't believe you're reading this" but the escapist part of you is like "yeah! this is fun! give me more!".
Sílvia
Trophy Wife

Post by Sílvia »

Finished the Brazilian YA. At first I'd given it 3 stars because the ending was too hollywoodian, but in the end I went back and gave it 4. I loved every minute of it, and it was totally an "I can't believe you're reading this" thing, too, Spudd!

Then I started What She Knew by Gilly Macmillan.