September! What are you reading?

Moderator: Malanee

kayley
TH Master

Re: September! What are you reading?

Post by kayley »

Sil, these are books published by big publishing houses, so I have high hopes.

Now I'm reading Djibouti by Elmore Leonard, a mystery (more fiction) that was on the NYT bestseller list. I'm 40 pages in and I'm pretty hooked, but it's a bit "poppy" for me to want to read another. I know I still owe you a list of books I bought. Or you could just wait and "watch" me read them all. I'm going to try to read two books a month (at least) for the coming months. Goodness knows I waste more time than that doing less productive things!
Sílvia
Trophy Wife

Post by Sílvia »

What do you mean, poppy?

And don't worry about the list. I can watch you read them, if you come back here to play with us!

Still on Pretty Baby.
Blush
TH Master

Post by Blush »

I finished What We've Lost is Nothing. It was pretty good.

Next up is Invincible Summer by Alice Adams.
Sílvia
Trophy Wife

Post by Sílvia »

Finished Pretty Baby. It was pretty good, well-written and gripping, but I couldn't bring myself to give it more than 3 stars because it was so utterly depressing. Tragic, really. I think I'm done for a while with books where horrible things keep happening to women and/or children. Spudd, I'm curious to know why you thought the ending was unsatisfying. I was happy with it. If you wanna pm me or start a thread, I'll be happy to hear it.

Then I started the sample of The Readers of Broken Wheel Recommend because I desperately need something lighter. You know what's cool? The samples in Portuguese are 4 times as long as the samples in English! So I can read a lot more before deciding on a book.