October! What are you reading?

Moderator: Malanee

Spudd
TH Master

Re: October! What are you reading?

Post by Spudd »

I just finished "A Little Princess" by Frances Hodgson Burnett. It's a kid's classic, but I'd never read it before, so I figured what the heck. It was good, in that Victorian kids' classic kind of a way.

Now I'm reading "You can retire sooner than you think" by Wes Moss.
Bugsy
Noodles and Corn

Post by Bugsy »

Finished "My Real Children." I liked it a lot while I was reading but felt a little underwhelmed at the ending. Still worth reading but not my favorite.

Hm, and per my Goodreads list, maybe I never updated here that I finished "Shift." It was good for sure. I'll look for the final one in the series...I think it's only one more, anyway.
Sílvia
Trophy Wife

Post by Sílvia »

Finished The Nearly-Weds. It was typical chick lit: fun, readable, predictable, forgettable.

Then I started Left Neglected by Lisa Genova.
Blush
TH Master

Post by Blush »

I finished Never Tell by Alafair Burke. Suspenseful, kept me guessing.

Now I have The Light of Paris by Eleanor Brown.
Rowan
Stinky Ho Zat Changed Zeh Channel

Post by Rowan »

A Little Princess was one of my favorites as a kid. I must have read it 10 times. I should pick it up again....

I'm almost done I'm Glad About You by Theresa Rebeck. Not sure how it landed on my pile, I think I just picked it up from the shelf as an unknown but I'm really liking it. I even stayed up later reading last night and that never happens.
Sílvia
Trophy Wife

Post by Sílvia »

Finished Left Neglected. It sucked. I can't believe it's by the same woman who wrote Still Alice. This was boring, overly sentimental, predictable, and had one of the most unlikable main characters I've ever come across. I suppose it takes a gifted writer to make you dislike a character who's just suffered a severe brain injury.

Not sure what's next. This text: http://bookriot.com/2016/10/28/reading- ... -of-trump/ makes me want to give The Handmaid's Tale another shot. I tried it about a year ago and couldn't get into it, but it sounds so good! Maybe now's the time.
Sílvia
Trophy Wife

Post by Sílvia »

No, The Handmaid's Tale's definitely not for me. I don't like the style.

I think I'm starting Jennifer Weiner's memoir, too. I'm at only 40% of the sample and love it already.
Bugsy
Noodles and Corn

Post by Bugsy »

Just started "Bad Pharma" by Ben Goldacre. Only read the intro so far, but colleague has read it and said it was really good.