November?! What are you reading?

Moderator: Malanee

Rowan
Stinky Ho Zat Changed Zeh Channel

November?! What are you reading?

Post by Rowan »

Finished another unknown to me: No One Knows - JT Ellison. I liked it up until the last 40 or so pages when it just went wild. Not sure why authors do that. :loony

Next up is a YA novel: Kids of Appetite.
Sílvia
Trophy Wife

Re: November?! What are you reading?

Post by Sílvia »

Finished Hungry Heart by Jennifer Weiner. Loved it. Well, loved the parts that were memoir. The other parts I was less thrilled about, like the whole chapter/essay on the Miss America Pageant and the one composed solely of her tweets, which had me scratching my head. Not sure why she included that. But let's focus on the good, I'd really recommend it for the memoir bits. 4 stars.

Then it put me in the mood for more of her stuff and I decided to read Certain Girls, the sequel to Good in Bed. I actually started re-reading Good in Bed to refresh my memory, but the print was so tiny I gave up (I used to read this WITHOUT my granny glasses?) Then I read the wikipedia summary and started certain Girls. So far I like it.
Blush
TH Master

Post by Blush »

I finished The Light of Paris by Eleanor Brown. It was pleasant enough.

Now I have Modern Lovers by Emma Straub (same author as The Vacationers). It has a lower rating than all my recent books on on Goodreads. :?
Spudd
TH Master

Post by Spudd »

I just started "The Knife of Never Letting Go" by Patrick Ness. So far I am in love with it.
Blush
TH Master

Post by Blush »

I finished Modern Lovers by Emma Straub. It was pretty good.

Next up is Canada by Mike Myers. I need something light.
Sílvia
Trophy Wife

Post by Sílvia »

Finished Certain Girls. Hated it. It was slow and boring, and Cannie's teenage daughter (the one who was born in Good in Bed) is bratty and spoiled. And the end sucked. If you liked Good in Bed, stay away from this awful sequel. (I did give it 2 stars because I like her writing even when her plot and her characters suck.)

Then I started All the Ugly and Wonderful Things because I need to know if it'll live up to the hype. It has an average rating of 4.26 on goodreads. Everyone I follow there has given it 5 stars. I'm only on page 18, but I like it so far.
Blush
TH Master

Post by Blush »

Canada by Mike Myers only took a couple of hours to read. Loved it.

Then I started One Nation Under God: How Corporate America Invented Christian America by Kevin Kruse. I started following the author recently on Twitter. I'm 10% in and it's pretty eye opening. I knew the god stuff was added to the pledge of allegiance and to money after long after the country was formed, but didn't realize it was so recent.
Blush
TH Master

Post by Blush »

I finished the Kevin Kruse book about how corporate America created "Christian America". The subject matter was intriguing but the delivery was dry. The epilogue summed it up nicely.

Next is a novel about a mill town in New Hampshire called Mercy Snow, by Tiffany Baker. My mom recommended it.
mellenhead
Shoulder Eater

Post by mellenhead »

I finished Lock In by John Scalzi. It was a sci/fi kind of book - I really liked it but it took me FOREVER to finish. I can never find time to read anymore. :(
Spudd
TH Master

Post by Spudd »

I finished "The Knife of Never Letting Go" last night, but it wasn't a real ending, so now I have to track down the sequel. I hate when books do that. I did enjoy the book up to that point, though. It's a YA sci fi.
Sílvia
Trophy Wife

Post by Sílvia »

Just typed a whole paragraph and lost it :cuss

Finished All the Ugly and Wonderful Things. I hated the first half because it was filled with scenes of child neglect. That bothered me much more than the sex between a teen and a grown man. Plus I'm not a huge fan of plots involving drug dealers and addicts. Then something big happened about halfway through and it picked up. I thought the second half was much better. Not that the writing and characterization weren't already good in the first, but it was all so depressing. The second half went in a direction I wasn't expecting, and I was pleasantly surprised.

I should cut and paste this into my goodreads account before I forget it.

Then I started the sample of All is Not Forgotten and I like it so far.
Rowan
Stinky Ho Zat Changed Zeh Channel

Post by Rowan »

Blush, you'll have to tell me how that book is. I grew up in a mill town but it was textiles and not paper (also not a small town).
Blush
TH Master

Post by Blush »

Rowan wrote:Blush, you'll have to tell me how that book is. I grew up in a mill town but it was textiles and not paper (also not a small town).
So far it's good. It's not "unputdownable" but it's good. So far there's not much actual mill talk, but I would imagine all single industry towns would have similar social dynamics.
Bugsy
Noodles and Corn

Post by Bugsy »

Finished "Bad Pharma: How Drug Companies Mislead Doctors and Harm Patients," by Ben Goldacre. It was pretty good--probably would be fairly shocking to someone new to the subject matter, but a) most of it was not surprising to me, and b) it was too repetitive. Needed a better editor for sure. Still, 3 stars.

Next is "The Invention of Wings," by Sue Monk Kidd. It's the next book club selection.
mellenhead
Shoulder Eater

Post by mellenhead »

I started Heartless by Marissa Meyer (she wrote the Lunar Chronicles), it's a a take on Wonderland. I'm about 100 pages in and liking it. It's mindless and fun.
Blush
TH Master

Post by Blush »

I finished Mercy Snow. It got really good at the end but I gave it 3 stars because I wasn't all in from the start.

Next up: If you were here by Alafair Burke. It gets mixed reviews on Goodreads but I've liked her other stuff.
Sílvia
Trophy Wife

Post by Sílvia »

Finished All is not Forgotten by Wendy Walker (?). Hated it. It had the most unlikable narrator ever, a psychiatrist who's treating several of the characters. He's such a pompous ass. Plus most of the book consists of his sessions with them or his observations on them. Super boring. Only finished because I paid for it.

I started Finding Audrey by Sophie Kinsella. I hated her first shopaholic with a passion, but liked some of her stand-alones. This is supposed to be different from her usual stuff, as it's about a teen with anxiety disorder. We'll see. I don't have high hopes, but at least it cost 1.60!
Bugsy
Noodles and Corn

Post by Bugsy »

Just finished "The Invention of Wings," and wow it was great. I plowed through it and was sucked in immediately. Easily 5 stars.

Next is "The Republican Noise Machine: Right-Wing Media and How it Corrupts Democracy," by David Brock. This is one mentioned in that documentary "The Brainwashing of My Dad."

Oh, actually, overnight a hold came in for "Dust," by Hugh Howey. I'll start that one next, since I should be able to renew the Brock one if needed; this will have to go back right away.
Sílvia
Trophy Wife

Post by Sílvia »

I finished Finding Audrey. It was readable, but not much more than that. There's a plot point that was never explained, which pissed me off. 2 stars.

Then I started Voices of Tchernobyl on kindle, but decided to order it on paper because it was cheaper (!), I think it has pictures in it (always suck on kindle), and other people in my family might want to read it. It won't arrive before Tuesday at best, so I'll have to start something else. I got an Agatha Christie for free on kindle with this purchase (there was a choice of 10 books, nothing looked particularly interesting, so I picked this). I've also had My Brilliant Friend by Elena Ferrante on my radar for a while, anyone read that?
Bugsy
Noodles and Corn

Post by Bugsy »

That's been on my radar for a while too, Sílvia. Apparently it's wildly popular all over the world...which honestly makes me a bit nervous, like it's been over hyped and will be a let-down.