November?! What are you reading?

Moderator: Malanee

Sílvia
Trophy Wife

Re: November?! What are you reading?

Post by Sílvia »

Exactly. But I'm curious.

Anyway, I'm reading the sample of The Passage by Justin Cronin and I'm completely hooked so far. Apparently it's about post-apocalyptic vampires/monsters, which would not be my thing (the vampires, the post-apocalypse I enjoy), but so far I can't stop reading the damn thing. I'm wary because lots of people on goodreads are saying it's like that for the first 250 pages or so, then it gets boring. I guess I'll pay to see. And I'll have to wait to start Voices in Tchernobyl, since this is 900 pages long in Portuguese! (766 in English.) If you're curious:
An epic and gripping tale of catastrophe and survival, The Passage is the story of Amy—abandoned by her mother at the age of six, pursued and then imprisoned by the shadowy figures behind a government experiment of apocalyptic proportions. But Special Agent Brad Wolgast, the lawman sent to track her down, is disarmed by the curiously quiet girl and risks everything to save her. As the experiment goes nightmarishly wrong, Wolgast secures her escape—but he can’t stop society’s collapse. And as Amy walks alone, across miles and decades, into a future dark with violence and despair, she is filled with the mysterious and terrifying knowledge that only she has the power to save the ruined world. (less)
mellenhead
Shoulder Eater

Post by mellenhead »

Sil, I loved The Passage. I could never get into the rest of his books in the series though.

I loved Heartless. It's basically a take on the Wonderland from Alice and Wonderland and tells the tale of how the Red Queen became Queen and why she is so angry. It was just a good, fun read.

I've been trying to read Bellevue but having a hard time getting in to it.
Sílvia
Trophy Wife

Post by Sílvia »

Good, Mellen, this might be a genre we agree on!
Blush
TH Master

Post by Blush »

I finished the Alafair Burke book. It was pretty good, although a little convoluted.

Now I have "Britt-Marie was here" by Fredrik Backman. 25 pages in, I'm enjoying it.