February! What are you reading?

Moderator: Malanee

Korie
Mmm... posting

Re: February! What are you reading?

Post by Korie »

Finished Mudrer on the Orient Express.

I feel like I'm missing something with Agatha Christie. Maybe it's me? I felt like there were too many characters, not enough development of their stories, personalities etc, the ending of the book/case was quickly wrapped up, and done. I'm not sure what I was expecting, but :headscratch

I'm curious of other people's opinions though. Is it just me? :ahh
Spudd
TH Master

Post by Spudd »

I read them a lot as a teenager, but I haven't read them lately. As a teenager I thought they were interesting and fun to read. I may have to try again as an adult and see how they are now! Like I seriously probably haven't read them for 30 years.
Bugsy
Noodles and Corn

Post by Bugsy »

I don't believe I've ever read an Agatha Christie book. Sucks that you didn't care much for this one, but don't feel bad for not liking something you think you "should." We all find ourselves in that situation at least occasionally. It just happened to me with "Orphan Train."
Sílvia
Trophy Wife

Post by Sílvia »

I read "And then there were none" when I was 13 and loved it. I think I'd have liked it if I'd read it as an adult. Other than that, I don't remember reading any other of her books. I tried a couple over the years (couldn't say which), but couldn't get into them. My mom used to love her, she read most of her 80+ books. I got one of them for free on kindle the other day (The Clocks, I think), so I might give that a try.

I finished The Breakdown yesterday. The first half was boring, the second was predictable and pretty ridiculous. I only finished because I wanted to see if I was right (I was, partly) and because it was an easy read.

Not sure what's next.
Blush
TH Master

Post by Blush »

Sílvia wrote:I read "And then there were none" when I was 13 and loved it. I think I'd have liked it if I'd read it as an adult. Other than that, I don't remember reading any other of her books. I tried a couple over the years (couldn't say which), but couldn't get into them. My mom used to love her, she read most of her 80+ books. I got one of them for free on kindle the other day (The Clocks, I think), so I might give that a try.
I read the same book in grade 10 English. Our teacher LOVED Agatha Christie. I got the feeling that the other English teachers were miffed by this choice. The thing that I'll always remember is that she told us "And then there were none" was originally named "10 Little Indians" and the title had to be changed due to political correctness. This was the first time I'd heard that term. I think she expected us to be upset that a title would be changed but none of us cared, which made her snippy.
Sílvia
Trophy Wife

Post by Sílvia »

I read it in seventh grade, for Portuguese class, which is funny because we (obviously) read only Brazilian or Portuguese authors. This was 1983, and here it still had the original title, which was worse in Portuguese, "the case of the little black boys/dolls?", not sure how to translate, but black, not indians. Anyway, it was a great read. My mom is forever pissed because someone who worked with her in the 1970s told her who the murderer was (who does that??) so it remains one of the few Agatha Christie books she hasn't read.

Yesterday I read The Canterville Ghost by Oscar Wilde, which was enjoyable, but not quite as hilarious as The Importance of Being Earnest.

I also started Paris for One on Blush's recommendation. As usual, I like Jojo Moyes's style, but I'm a little annoyed at the main character, who's terrified of being in Paris by herself. WTF? She's a grown woman who speaks English. I guess I'll decide at the end of the sample if I'll buy it. Unfortunately this is the only Jojo Moyes published in Brazil that my library doesn't have (yet).
Blush
TH Master

Post by Blush »

That main character is very annoying at the beginning, but (spoiler alert!) she does grow a pair eventually.
Sílvia
Trophy Wife

Post by Sílvia »

I bought it! I'm almost finished with the first story. The only reason I didn't stay up to finish it last night was because I wanted to catch a few hours' sleep before the main Oscars. I'm glad I did, I'd be pissed if I had missed THAT :shock: But back to the book, I like it. It reads very much like a rom-com movie, but it works for me. I realize I have never given any of her books less than 4 stars. I'm shocked.
mellenhead
Shoulder Eater

Post by mellenhead »

Finished The Woman in the Walls. Eh. It was ok. The ending was weird and kind of rushed.

I'm about halfway through Gilded Cage by Vic James. It's decent so far. One part of society has "skills" (magic) and the rest have to serve 10 years of slavery to that group.