February! What are you reading?

Moderator: Malanee

Rowan
Stinky Ho Zat Changed Zeh Channel

February! What are you reading?

Post by Rowan »

I have the new Chris Bohjalian The Sleepwalker next on my pile to start.

I've been Netflixing too much and its affecting my reading...I am loving The Crown.
Bugsy
Noodles and Corn

Re: February! What are you reading?

Post by Bugsy »

Finished "Don't Think of an Elephant," by George Lakoff. I liked it and would recommend it to others. I do wish it had some more in the way of specific tips for framing the liberal values, but this was a great primer. I plan to try more of his books.
mellenhead
Shoulder Eater

Post by mellenhead »

Rowan, I have The Sleepwalker on my TBR list! Will be curious to hear if you like it.

I am about to start The Most Dangerous Place on Earth. I hope it's good as my last two reads have been major stinkers.
Anna
TH Master

Post by Anna »

Finished listen to
Kathy Griffin celebrities a-z

And

Ron Miscavages Ruthless: My son David Miscavaige and Me

I
mellenhead
Shoulder Eater

Post by mellenhead »

Finished The Most Dangerous Place on Earth this morning. Eh. It was ok. Don't think I realized it was YA. It was a quick read.

I started The Woman in Cabin 10 at the Wheelmill tonight. It sounded intriguing but the librarian gave it a thumbs down when I checked it out. Only a few chapters in so far, so we'll see.
Blush
TH Master

Post by Blush »

I finished The Perfume Collector last night. I liked the plot but the dialogue was a little clunky in places.

Next is Who do you Love by Jennifer Weiner.
Sílvia
Trophy Wife

Post by Sílvia »

Mellen, I gave 1 star to another book by that author, so that should probably give you hope :giggle

Blush, I liked Who Do You Love. Apparently I gave it 3 stars, but it's more like 3.5.

Finished The Sum of Our Days by Isabel Allende. I love that woman. Now I have True Colors by Kristin Hannah. I feel sorry for her for being next in line after Isabel.
Sílvia
Trophy Wife

Post by Sílvia »

So I wasn't in the mood for the Kristin Hannah. Then I started This Must be the Place by Maggie O'Farrell, on Blush's recommendation :awesome
Blush
TH Master

Post by Blush »

Ooh, I hope you like it, Silvia!
Korie
Mmm... posting

Post by Korie »

Still working thru Agatha Christie. Don't know why, but I'm having trouble getting into it. :headscratch
Rowan

Post by Rowan »

I finished The Sleepwalker and read All Who Are Brave Are Forgiven (train ride to NYC) yesterday. I liked both. Thumbs up and recommend.
Sílvia
Trophy Wife

Post by Sílvia »

Blush, me too! I'm finding the beginning slower than I like, but I'm only on page 39. The writing IS good.

Everyone Brave is Forgiven, Ro?
mellenhead
Shoulder Eater

Post by mellenhead »

The Woman in Cabin 10 by Ruth Ware was OK. Some aspects of her writing annoyed me but it was a decent story.

Tried to read Commonwealth by Ann Patchett and gave up after I reread a couple of chapters multiple times because it was so boring I couldn't retain all the info about the different characters. Kept waiting for it to pick up and never did. I have a love/hate relationship with her writing.

I have Sleepwalker on the hold shelf so I'm looking forward to that.
Rowan

Post by Rowan »

Yes Syl. :) You forgot the snicker smiley....
Bugsy
Noodles and Corn

Post by Bugsy »

Last night I started "The Essential Writings of Ralph Waldo Emerson," and of course then today the hold came in for "The Spirit Catches You and You Fall Down," by Anne Fadiman. Anyone here ever read that one? It's been on my list for years, but I just recently moved it up in priority. Hmong is the second-most common native language and culture among our patients, so I hope this gives me more insight into their worldview.

I was enjoying the first part of the Emerson book, so I think I'm gonna buy a used copy. It's over 800 pages, so it will take a while and I want to savor it.

Oh, and I finished the one about green smoothies. It was interesting and helpful. I !ade a big batch two nights ago and have had that for breakfast the last two days. Made another tonight with different ingredients that will get me through tomorrow.
Sílvia
Trophy Wife

Post by Sílvia »

Rowan wrote:Yes Syl. :) You forgot the snicker smiley....
I was just checking :) I looked up "all who are brave are forgiven" on goodreads, since you said it was good, and nothing came up. Then I googled it and got the correct title. I knew it sounded a little off when you posted :giggle And tell us, who is this Sleepwalker by? There are dozens of books by that name on amazon.

Uuh... I couldn't get into the Maggie O'Farrell (sorry, Blush!). It might be me, and I might try it again sometime, but last night I was just finding it rambly and decided to return it to amazon at page 55, before it got too late and they decided not to refund me. I will check at least another one of her books.

Then I started Wool. Wool Omnibus? Silo? I mean the first book in that trilogy. In Portuguese it's called Silo. I like it so far.
Blush
TH Master

Post by Blush »

No worries, Silvia, sometimes I think my love for a book is partially dependent on my own mood at the time.

I finished Who do you Love by Jennifer Weiner. I liked it. I was worried at first because I felt so bad for Andy during the part of his story when he was a little boy. I wondered if I could get through it if it remained that tragic. But I did, and I'm glad. :)

Next: Meantime by Katharine Noel. I've never read anything by her before but all the praise talks about "vibrant characters" so I have hope.
Rowan

Post by Rowan »

Syl - I was just giving you a hard time. :) The Sleepwalker is by Chris Bohjalian- not my favorite of his but I did like it. The subject might be a little bit out there for some.
Sílvia
Trophy Wife

Post by Sílvia »

Thanks!

Silo/Wool started out well, but then I thought it dragged and dragged until page 200. I didn't want to stop reading it because these have been stressful days for me, so I didn't wanna blame the book. Then I went to skoob (Brazilian sort of goodreads) and some guy there said something huge happened on page 215 and he couldn't put it down after that. He was right, something big was revealed. I do hope it picks up, because the endless mundane details were driving me insane.
Spudd
TH Master

Post by Spudd »

I really loved Wool, in fact the entire trilogy (Wool, Shift, Dust) was right up my alley, I have to say. There were some dry moments from time to time but the overall concept was just so fascinating to me, it kept me interested.

I finished Shanghai Girls night before last. It was good, I'd recommend it. But it was another one of those books where the ending makes you need the 2nd book in the series. So now I have to see if my library has that one. I don't mind authors writing a series but I like each book to stand alone and not make you immediately want to read the sequel.

Then I started Bridget Jones' Baby. So far it's corny and amusing, as expected.