March: What are you reading?

Moderator: Malanee

Blush
TH Master

March: What are you reading?

Post by Blush »

I finished This is How it Ends by Kathleen McMahon. Oh God, the tears. Good book, don't read the last 50 pages in public. I was keening. Tie couldn't figure out what was wrong with me, which set me off again.

Next: Catching Air by Sarah Pekkanen.
Sílvia
Trophy Wife

Re: March: What are you reading?

Post by Sílvia »

Oh, I had taken that off my to-read list because it has an average of only 3.14 on goodreads, but 5 stars from you?? I might reconsider.

Finished the Jojo Moyes. It was entertaining enough, but a bit too sugary, plus I got tired of the "unappreciated middle-aged woman" character. I did like the 2 novellas, but the short stories were just ok.

Then I started the sample of Dark Matter. No opinion yet.
Blush
TH Master

Post by Blush »

I may modify the 5 stars later. But generally if a book can make me shake off my cynical norm and make me *feel* something I figure the author did something right.
mellenhead
Shoulder Eater

Post by mellenhead »

I finished Gilded Cage by Vic James. I wanted to love it more than I did. Love the premise but there were a few too many points of view in the book. I'll definitely read the new book in the series though.

Next up is The Dry by Aaron Falk
Korie
Mmm... posting

Post by Korie »

Here's to Us. I think it will be a quick read.

Next up: Big Little Lies
Rowan
Stinky Ho Zat Changed Zeh Channel

Post by Rowan »

I recently read The Hopefuls by Jennifer Close which was ok but then had a rushed ending and Paris for One by JoJo Moyes which I really didn't like. I generally don't like short stories so....
Blush
TH Master

Post by Blush »

I finished Catching Air. Meh. Cringeworthy writing in parts.

Next up is Shtum by Jem Lester. It has a 4.23 rating on Goodreads.
Rowan

Post by Rowan »

I read Small Admissions which was fine.

I'm currently reading The Inseparables which is also fine.
Anna
TH Master

Post by Anna »

Finished "If You Find Me" by Emily Murdoch it was a good story. It's about a girl and her little sis hidden in the woods and then being found.

I'm listening to "When We Rise" by Cleve Jones now. I loved the mini series. Book is similar but different.
Rowan

Post by Rowan »

Finished The Inseparables and it was fine.

Next up is the All Grown Up by Jami Attenberg. It's kinda an it book right now. I guess we'll see....
Sílvia
Trophy Wife

Post by Sílvia »

Finished Dark Matter. It was fun! Very, very gripping. I'm not much of a sci-fi reader, but this definitely worked for me. Ro, was it you who read it from here? I know someone did.

Then I started Silent Child because it sounded good and was 1 dollar. I hope it's not another one of those stupid psychological thrillers I end up regretting :paranoid But I was hooked from the first page and it was ONE dollar! Here: https://www.amazon.com/Silent-Child-Sar ... lent+child
Rowan

Post by Rowan »

Syl - that was me. I don't read Sci Fi either but I don't know if I would categorize it like that. Sci-fi lite maybe? Glad you liked it.
Sílvia
Trophy Wife

Post by Sílvia »

I did! Did you?
Blush
TH Master

Post by Blush »

I finished Shtum. It was really good. Emotional and well written. I know the dialogue is good when I don't notice it. Know what I mean?

I just tried to start Small Blessings by Martha Woodruff, but I was so annoyed by page 17 I gave up and took it off Goodreads.

Trying Secrets of a Charmed Life by Susan Meissner.
mellenhead
Shoulder Eater

Post by mellenhead »

Finished The Dry by Jane Harper. Really well written crime fiction. I couldn't put it down.

Also breezed through Wires and Nerve by Marisa Meyer. It's a graphic novel about a character (Iko for those that have read the series) from The Lunar Chronicles. It was decent.
Last edited by mellenhead on Mon Mar 13, 2017 10:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
Rowan

Post by Rowan »

@Syl, I did really like it! I even told S and M all about it which shows that I really liked it.

Not sure why All Grown Up is an "it" book. I found it pretty whiny.
Sílvia
Trophy Wife

Post by Sílvia »

Finished Silent Child. It was good! Much better than I expected for this genre and for 1 dollar! From my GR: 3.5 stars. There's one major plot point that's a cliché in the genre, but overall it was well written and very, very gripping. I couldn't put it down for the last 150 pages or so.

I started rereading Big Little Lies to refresh my memory for the series. I started about 3 days ago, then the other book got too gripping and I neglected it. Somebody remind me not to try to read 2 novels at the same time, please. It NEVER works.
mellenhead
Shoulder Eater

Post by mellenhead »

Read Illusion of Justice by Jerome Buting. He is one of the lawyers that represented Steven Avery and was in the Making a Murderer series on Netflix. It was a really good read about all the behind the scenes stuff that goes on preparing for a trial.

Not sure what is up next. Probably We Have Always Lived in the Castle by Shirley Jackson.

Rowan, I have All Grown Up waiting on the hold shelf - interesting to know it's not that great. I read something else by the author and wasn't all that impressed but put this on my list since it kept appearing on must read lists.
Rowan

Post by Rowan »

@mellen, I think you should try it. Maybe I just wasn't in the right frame of mind.

I have The Mothers in my bag to start at lunch. I need to get to the library.
Blush
TH Master

Post by Blush »

I finished Secrets of a Charmed Life. It was OK. I was mildly annoyed when WW2 era British characters used American slang. Editor, please!

Next: The Lonely Hearts Hotel by Heather O'Neill. I expect Canadian eccentricity but that it will be good. It's due back in a week and I can't renew it.

ETA: holy shit the first page threw me for a loop. :shock: