March: What are you reading?

Moderator: Malanee

Sílvia
Trophy Wife

Re: March: What are you reading?

Post by Sílvia »

Is Secrets of a Charmed Life the book you mentioned the other day you weren't enjoying but would finish anyway, Blush? Just curious. I quite enjoyed it. A bit soap-opera-ish, but I found it very compelling. And now I want to read the first page of that other one!

I'm still reading Big Little Lies, and today I watched episode 4 and omg, they changed so much. I wonder why they felt the need for that, and why Liane Moriarty agreed with it. She probably had to. Anyway, I'm glad I'm rereading it, otherwise I'd be scratching my head here trying to remember stuff that didn't happen in the book!
mellenhead
Shoulder Eater

Post by mellenhead »

I finished We have Always Lived in the Castle by Shirley Jackson. Love her writing.

Not sure what's next. Probably Animals Strike Curious Poses by Elena Passarello.
Blush
TH Master

Post by Blush »

Sílvia wrote:Is Secrets of a Charmed Life the book you mentioned the other day you weren't enjoying but would finish anyway, Blush? Just curious. I quite enjoyed it. A bit soap-opera-ish, but I found it very compelling. And now I want to read the first page of that other one!
Yes, that's the one.

I'm halfway through The Lonely Hearts Hotel. It's not the least bit uplifting, but very interesting. The setting is Montreal, starting in 1914, and now were into the Depression. Orphans, incest, drugs, despair. All predictably Canadiana-type-weird. But very very good.
Korie
Mmm... posting

Post by Korie »

Starting Grapes of Wrath :paranoid
Spudd
TH Master

Post by Spudd »

I finished the 2nd Jackson Brodie book, called 'One Good Turn' by Kate Atkinson. It was okay. I felt like there were too many characters to keep track of.

I started a book called "Fast Asleep, Wide Awake" about improving your sleep. Then I got to a part where it gave me homework to go away and do for 10 days before starting the next part of the book, so it's going to wait a while until I get back to it.

Last night I started "Good Morning, Midnight" which so far is very good.
Blush
TH Master

Post by Blush »

I finished The Lonely Hearts Hotel. It was really good. There was some really good descriptive writing, the kind you want to re-read.

Next up: Long Gone by Alafair Burke. Suspense genre.
mellenhead
Shoulder Eater

Post by mellenhead »

Read All Grown Up by Jami Attenberg. What a dud. No idea why it landed on so many must read lists. It was annoying and whiny and I was so happy to finish it.
Rowan
Stinky Ho Zat Changed Zeh Channel

Post by Rowan »

@mellen I'm "glad" I'm not the only one who felt that way about that book. I'm sick of that whole whiny genre.
Blush
TH Master

Post by Blush »

Oh, good, one I can skip without guilt. Whiny is not for me.
Sílvia
Trophy Wife

Post by Sílvia »

Finished rereading Big Little Lies. So good. I wish I could read all her books for the first time again. Then I tried It Ends With Us by Colleen Hoover. Utter crap, gave up at 23%. Thank God for amazon refunds. Then I started The first fifteen lives of Harry August. Was hooked from the beginning. I also just finished the third book in A Series of Unfortunate Events. I might start another of Leo's books. Maybe Matilda.
Bugsy
Noodles and Corn

Post by Bugsy »

Not sure if I updated on "Orphan Train." It was underwhelming.

"Hyperbole and a Half" was good. Made me LOL a few times for sure. Her illustrations are really interesting too.

And I just listened to "Of Mice and Men," by Steinbeck. Somehow that was never an assigned reading for me in high school. I liked it! Sad book in many ways, but I can see why it's an American classic. Sort of made me want to reread "Grapes of Wrath," which I'd read in 8th grade and really liked.

Currently reading "The Wise Man's Fear," by Patrick Rothfuss. It's the sequel to "The Name of the Wind," which I read in January and really enjoyed. This one picks up immediately after the first one's ending and is just as compelling so far.

Still working through a Buddhist book called "How to Transform Your Life" and "The Essential Writings of Ralph Waldo emerson," though I haven't touched the latter for at least a month.
Rowan
Stinky Ho Zat Changed Zeh Channel

Post by Rowan »

I read Rush Home Road by Lori Lansens yesterday. I love her writing. I've been waiting for a library in my system to carry this forever.
Spudd
TH Master

Post by Spudd »

I finished "Good Morning, Midnight". I really enjoyed it. I wasn't a massive fan of the ending, but it didn't ruin the book for me.
Sílvia
Trophy Wife

Post by Sílvia »

I think I know what you mean about that ending, Spudd. It's something I usually hate, but in this book it worked well for me. I loved it. Such beautiful writing.

I borrowed the first Harry Potter from a friend of Leo's. The library doesn't have it (??!!) and I wanna see if Leo will get into them. I'll try reading the first few pages too since I seem to be in a kids' book kick. Plus I think I'm the only person on goodreads who hasn't read it/them. I'm in for a disappointment since EVERY. OTHER. ADULT. out there seems to love HP.

Still working on Harry August, but it lost steam after the first few chapters. I hope it'll pick up soon. Will probably finish Matilda tonight.
Sílvia
Trophy Wife

Post by Sílvia »

Finished Matilda. Leo loved this, but I couldn't get over the horribleness of most adult characters. I think I would have hated this book as a kid. I did like the main character, and for that I gave it 3 stars.

Gave up on Harry August. It had such great potential, but lost me after a while. Soooo boring and rambly after the promising start.

Read the first chapter of Harry Potter. Not sure I'll continue. Leo says he's not interested. He hasn't even picked it up :cuss

Just bought Nora Ephron's I Feel Bad About My Neck. I've wanted this for ages, but it's so ridiculously expensive for such a short book (12 dollars, 160 pages!!), but decided to splurge on a few books for my birthday 8)
mellenhead
Shoulder Eater

Post by mellenhead »

Matilda is one of my all time favorite books! :giggle

I finished Animals Strike Curious Poses by Elena Passerello - it was WEIRD. But good, I enjoyed most of it. Some of the essays I skipped.

I'm just about done with The Education of Margot Sanchez. It took me a little bit to get into it but I'm really enjoying it. I tried to finish it last night but fell asleep (woke up w the book on my chin around 2am. :? )

I have New York 2140 and Shadowbahn (which sounds bonkers) waiting on the hold shelf.
Sílvia
Trophy Wife

Post by Sílvia »

Matilda is one of my all time favorite books! :giggle
Of course it is :giggle Do you like his other books? Leo has most of them (I think he has all that were published here, maybe 8 or so.) I wanna read The BFG next.
Korie
Mmm... posting

Post by Korie »

Changed gears and reading Big Little Lies LOL. I have the series going on my DVR, and I want to read the book before I watch it (and/or accidentally see spoilers).

Hoping to finish it this week!
Blush
TH Master

Post by Blush »

I finished Long Gone by Alafair Burke. It was what I expect from her. Decent suspense, quick pace.

Next: Fractured by Catherine McKenzie.
mellenhead
Shoulder Eater

Post by mellenhead »

Sil I do like his other books. I'm a big fan of dark comedy.