April: What are you reading?

Moderator: Malanee

Sílvia
Trophy Wife

Re: April: What are you reading?

Post by Sílvia »

Finished The Rosie Effect. Loved it. Now I started Britt-Marie Was Here because I'm in the mood for quirky characters.

ETA: Britt-Marie was not for me. Made it to page 40.
Bugsy
Noodles and Corn

Post by Bugsy »

Finished "The Wise Man's Fear," by Patrick Rothfuss. It was very good, but I liked the first one better. This is "The Kingkiller Chronicles" series.

And then I went back to "How to Transform Your Life." For sure by reading these long books I'm unlikely to meet my 30 books goal again this year, but at least most of my choices so far have been good!
Blush
TH Master

Post by Blush »

I finished the Alafair Burke book today. It wasn't as good as her others, although I suppose my frame of mind might have affected my opinion.

Next up is A Man Called Ove. I've been waiting for this one for a while.
Rowan
Stinky Ho Zat Changed Zeh Channel

Post by Rowan »

I finished the Gone series. I liked it but didn't love it. I like reading a series in its entirety all at once so that's fun.

I also finished Queen of the Road by Doreen Orion. I've had it on my TBR list for years. It was a Jennifer Lancaster recommendation. It was interesting.

I have the next Chevy Stevens in my bag to start today. I usually like her books.
Sílvia
Trophy Wife

Post by Sílvia »

I finished an Argentinian book called The Meadow of the Butterflies, which apparently has a title in English, but hasn't been translated into it :headscratch It's a shame, the end was VERY twisty and I wanted to discuss it. I hope some Brazilian will reply to my GR review.

Not sure what's next. My SIL gave me a bunch of paperbacks in English (she works at a bookstore and gets lots of free books), but none of them seem up my alley. I started Neil Gaiman's American Gods, which I would NEVER have picked up on my own. But hey, it's mine. I've read up to page 36 so far. It's readable, though if I understood it correctly, a man was having sex with a hooker and was swallowed through her vagina :headscratch Then the scene changed. I'll give it a few more pages.
mellenhead
Shoulder Eater

Post by mellenhead »

I finished Young, Fair, and Damned - Catherine Howard, the Fifth Wife of Henry VIII. It was good but a little too dense.

I started The Arrangement by by Sarah Dunn. It's about a couple who decide to have an open marriage for 6 months. It's OK so far.

Silvia, Staz, HBO or Showtime (can't remember) made American Gods into a TV show. It's starts this Sunday. I haven't read the book but have it on my list. It sounds interesting based on your description! :lol
Sílvia
Trophy Wife

Post by Sílvia »

Mellen, I thought this was very much your thing and wondered why you hadn't read it when I went on goodreads :lol You, Spudd and Bugsy. You'll all love it!
mellenhead
Shoulder Eater

Post by mellenhead »

Finished The Arrangement by by Sarah Dunn. It was decent and mindless. You could pretty much predict the entire plot though.
Sílvia
Trophy Wife

Post by Sílvia »

Yeah, American Gods was not for me, as I was 99% sure it wouldn't be. Made it to page 60.

Then I started The Upside of Unrequited, a YA by Becky Albertalli, the same author of Simon vs the Homo Sapiens Agenda, which was cute. I wonder why there are so many gay characters in her books. Just curious. Anyway, this one started out stupendously, then now it's well, less stupendous. We'll see.

I also started Voices of Chernobyl. I bought it months ago, but then it was delivered the day that plane with the Brazilian soccer team crashed, and I certainly was not in the mood for more tragedy, so I left it for later.
Rowan
Stinky Ho Zat Changed Zeh Channel

Post by Rowan »

Still on the Chevy Stevens novel. Not sure why I'm not reading right now.

I also decided I'm going to read Big Little Lies again. And then watch the series again. It's totally stuck with me.
Blush
TH Master

Post by Blush »

I just finished A Man Called Ove. Loved it.

Next up is a suspense novel called A Necessary End by Holly Brown.