April: What are you reading?

Moderator: Malanee

Rowan
Stinky Ho Zat Changed Zeh Channel

April: What are you reading?

Post by Rowan »

I'm reading The Sudden Appearance of Hope by Claire North. It's weird but strangely gripping. I'm 2/3 done.
mellenhead
Shoulder Eater

Re: April: What are you reading?

Post by mellenhead »

Finished Shadowbahn by Steve Erickson. WEIRD book - the twin towers reappear in the Badlands of South Dakota and play music but everyone hears a different song. Oh and Elvis Presly's stillborn twin Jesse is living on the 93rd floor. :loony It started off intriguing and then just got bizarre. Would not recommend.

Now reading Cork Dork about a reporter who took a year and trained as a sommelier. It's good so far and fairly funny.
Sílvia
Trophy Wife

Post by Sílvia »

I read I Remember Nothing by Nora Ephron. Some essays were hilarious, but several just didn't speak to me at all.

Then I read the first Harry Potter! I never thought I'd say this... I've never been even remotely insterested in HP and only borrowed it from Leo's friend to get Leo interested, but alas, he wasn't. But I read it. I confess I had to force my way through the first 80 pages or so, but part of the problem was the TINY print in the Brazilian edition, plus the translation (though the name they came up with for the sport they play is pretty awesome.) But after that I liked it and yes, I agree that the world she created is indeed amazing. I might even read the next one. I think I'll hit the bookstore tomorrow to see if I can find it in English, since Leo's not interested. For some reason I think I have to read this in paper.

Then I read the first 70 pages of All the Bright Places, but couldn't get into it. I should have known, since it was compared to The fault in Our Stars, which I didn't like much. Then I went online and read a plot summary with spoilers so now I can move on with my life :awesome

I think next up is The Disappearance by Annabel Kantaria.
Rowan

Post by Rowan »

I started Gone by Michael Grant. It's a YA series. Very easy to read which is kind of what I"m looking for right now.
Blush
TH Master

Post by Blush »

I finished The Girls today. I can't believe I've never read it. I will leave it here and start my library book tomorrow, just can't remember the name.
mellenhead
Shoulder Eater

Post by mellenhead »

I finished Cork Dork by Bianca Bosker - it was enjoyable and interesting but have to admit there were parts I skimmed a bit.

Finished The Roanoke Girls by Amy Engel - it was good but deals with some weird stuff that I wasn't quite expecting.
Blush
TH Master

Post by Blush »

The library book I brought is The Perfect Girl by Gilly MacMillan. I have a feeling I'll do a lot of reading on the plane tomorrow.
Spudd
TH Master

Post by Spudd »

I finished the 3rd Jackson Brodie book by Kate Atkinson. I gave it 2 stars on Goodreads and then saw that Blush had given it 5 stars, LOL. Guess our tastes don't exactly align! I like Jackson, the character. But I find in all the books in this series, there are SO many disparate threads and characters, and I have a hard time keeping track. And then for this book in particular, it felt very unresolved to me at the end. I didn't know exactly what had happened and how it all went down. I went to Goodreads to see if people had asked questions, and they had, but nobody had any good answers. So yeah, if you like your mystery novels wrapped up in a bow at the end, this one's not for you.

Now I'm reading "Heat and Light". I forget who it's by. It's about fracking in Pennsylvania and the local landowners.
mellenhead
Shoulder Eater

Post by mellenhead »

Spudd, is the fracking book nonfiction? I'll have to look it up, sounds interesting.
Spudd
TH Master

Post by Spudd »

No, it's fiction. It's pretty good so far.
Sílvia
Trophy Wife

Post by Sílvia »

I finished The Disappearance by Annabel Kantaria. I loved the first half, set in England in 2013 and in India in the 1970s, where the main character had lived for a few years. Around page 120 I had a good idea of where it was headed, but thought that was too obvious. Turns out I was right :cuss In the second half the part set in India was over and the whole thing lost most of its charm for me. 3 stars.

Then I read Girl in Translation by Jean Kwok. I loved it. If I have one complaint, it's that I wanted to know more about some of the characters. But overall it was a joy to read, the kind of story where you desperately root for the main character.

Then I started The Rosie Project. I was totally prepared to not like it, but I'm loving it so far. I should have guessed it, since Mellen gave it 2 stars.
mellenhead
Shoulder Eater

Post by mellenhead »

Sílvia wrote: Then I started The Rosie Project. I was totally prepared to not like it, but I'm loving it so far. I should have guessed it, since Mellen gave it 2 stars.
:rofl It's really one star but I always feel bad doing that. I hated that book and still do not understand all the love. I'm glad you like it though! :wink:
Rowan

Post by Rowan »

Heat and Light is by Jennifer Haigh. She's a great writer. Yes, fiction. 4 star for me.

But I also love The Rosie Project so :whistle (there's so many characters like that in academic science that I guess it hit close to home)
Rowan

Post by Rowan »

I'm still working my way through the Gone series by Michael Grant. I'm on book 4 Plague. I'm liking it. There's the tiniest smidgen of Christianity in it which I find weird. And I'm Catholic. I guess I don't like my books to have religion in them? It's only like 2-3% but it just stands out. I dunno.
Rowan

Post by Rowan »

Blush, The Girls by Lori Lansen? Love that book! I think it's one of my faves of all time.

I should read it again...
Sílvia
Trophy Wife

Post by Sílvia »

mellenhead wrote:
Sílvia wrote: Then I started The Rosie Project. I was totally prepared to not like it, but I'm loving it so far. I should have guessed it, since Mellen gave it 2 stars.
:rofl It's really one star but I always feel bad doing that. I hated that book and still do not understand all the love. I'm glad you like it though! :wink:
:lol We really, really should start using the "compare books" feature on goodreads and see what the other one hated. But hey, we do agree sometimes! Like once every 50 books or so.

I loved The Girls too! I loved everything I've read by her, but was put off by the child neglect in the first few pages of Rush Home Road. I should try it again, though, it was just the very beginning.
Blush
TH Master

Post by Blush »

I did finish The Perfect Girl on the plane yesterday. It was fine.

Next is Dancing on Broken Glass by Ka Hancock.
Sílvia
Trophy Wife

Post by Sílvia »

Blush, I thought Gilly Macmillan's other book was MUCH better than The Perfect Girl.

Finished The Rosie Project. Loved it! Now I'm reading The Rosie Effect.
Blush
TH Master

Post by Blush »

Oh, good, Silvia! I have Gilly MacMillan's other one on hold.

I gave up on the Ka Hancock book as it struck me as cheesy in the first couple chapters. Instead I am starting another Alafair Burke called All Day and A Night.
mellenhead
Shoulder Eater

Post by mellenhead »

I read Running by Cara Hoffman. Loved her writing but the ending kind of sucked. Everything was just left hanging.

I think up next is Young, Fair, and Damned - Catherine Howard, the Fifth Wife of Henry VIII. I've been binge watching The White Queen (even though I am not a fan of Philippa Gregory's books), so this one is appealing to me most in my TBR pile from the library.