June! What are you reading?

Moderator: Malanee

Spudd
TH Master

Re: June! What are you reading?

Post by Spudd »

I have the same question as Mellen about the high school nutmegs!

I finished The Wife's Tale the other night. I mostly enjoyed it - it was a page-turner, and I liked the main character quite well. There were a few minor plot points that bothered me but I gave it 4 stars because I had fun reading it.

Now I'm reading "A Jest of God" by Margaret Laurence. I don't think I've ever read a Margaret Laurence book before, which is awful, since she's one of Canada's most cherished authors. So far it's pretty good but I only finished the first chapter.
Blush
TH Master

Post by Blush »

I gave up on the Minds of Winter. I just don't have the attention span to deal with multiple continents, multiple timelines etc. And it's partly about the Franklin Expedition in Northern Canada. I'm not in the mood for snow and desperation.

So. Instead I'm starting This is Not Over by an author named H0LLy Br0wn. I hope it's better than the last book I read by her.

ETA: some bot added a link to the author's name to a page selling HATS? WTF? I go back to edit the post and there's no link. But as soon as I hit post, the link is there. Now I'm tying messing with the name.
Sílvia
Trophy Wife

Post by Sílvia »

Spudd, tell me what bothered you about The Wife's Tale on a pm or separate thread? I loved that book!
Rowan
Stinky Ho Zat Changed Zeh Channel

Post by Rowan »

Ok Mellen that makes sense. That's exactly how I felt.

I'm reading Into the Water right now.
mellenhead
Shoulder Eater

Post by mellenhead »

ROWAN! Spudd and I need to know WTF high school nutmegs are!! :lol
Rowan
Stinky Ho Zat Changed Zeh Channel

Post by Rowan »

Oops sorry! I thought they were a national thing but then I realized that CT is the nutmeg state so duh it's only in CT. They are YA novels nominated for this nutmeg award. They are usually great and they have a special section in the library and they are all new never been touched yet.

I'm weird....

I'll be sure to share which I really like if anyone is in the mood for YA.
Sílvia
Trophy Wife

Post by Sílvia »

I'm so glad when you native speakers ask something I don't understand before I have to!

Ro, do share. Since you refuse to have a goodreads account. Ok, ok, I'll stop nagging.
Sílvia
Trophy Wife

Post by Sílvia »

I finished I Let You Go. Here's my goodreads review: 3.5 stars. I was ready to give it 4.5 (come on, goodreads, where are those half stars?), but I really disliked the ending. Up until page 340, this book was almost perfect. Well-written and intensely gripping. There's a twist right at the end of part 1 that made me go back to the beginning scratching my head to see what I'd missed. Very clever. The mystery is revealed at around page 340. But then I realized I had 30 pages to go, and thought that couldn't be good. Unfortunately, I was right. The remaining 30 pages seem like every thriller you've seen in your life (yes, it feels like a movie), complete with a far-fetched revelation about the villain that made me roll my eyes, and that final scene... just no. I'm always wary when I hear that a book has a lot of twists because I know I'm bound to find at least some of them contrived. Sigh. I'll probably pick up her other book(s?) at some point, though. That's how good this was until close to the end.

Not sure what's next. I have Elizabeth is Missing from the library, so I'll have a look at that. But I don't know. I'm in the mood for light and fluffy, after I Let You Go.
Blush
TH Master

Post by Blush »

I tried to renew my current book but someone has it on hold, so I'll have to get it again. That means I have no library books until I go today. They'd better have some good ones.

Side note : when I tried to renew I noticed that they had taken the "lost" book off my account. So I DID return it, and they found it. :)
Last edited by Blush on Mon Jun 26, 2017 11:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
Blush
TH Master

Post by Blush »

Yesterday I read Bridget Jones' Baby. It was cute. Now I'm about to start A Better Man by Leah McLaren. Looks a bit dark.
Sílvia
Trophy Wife

Post by Sílvia »

Blush, have you read the other Bridget Jones #3, Mad About the Boy? It goes in the opposite direction of this #4, it's like parallel universes. I looked briefly online for an explanation from the author and found nothing.

After trying several different samples (again!) I decided on Good As Gone by Amy Gentry. So far I don't recommend it, the premise is unbelievable. I also started a non-fiction about our independence from Portugal called 1822 (the year we got it, obviously.) It's fascinating, but probably only for Brazilian or Portuguese citizens or for people who like reading history for fun.
Blush
TH Master

Post by Blush »

No I didn't read Mad About the Boy; I didn't know it existed! (And I only found the Baby one scanning the shelves for something, anything, to take home).
Sílvia
Trophy Wife

Post by Sílvia »

Don't bother, it's awful!
Bugsy
Noodles and Corn

Post by Bugsy »

I've been reading to plan for our Europe trip and recently finished three Rick Steves books:
-Belgium (Ghent, Bruges, Brussels, and Antwerp)
-Germany 2017
-Europe Through the Back Door 2017

I love Rick Steves and found these just as potentially valuable as his Amsterdam book proved last year. I've been transcribing the highlights into a Word document (all were library books, so I jotted down page #s as I went) and then can start planning in more detail.

Not sure what will be next. Probably continuing in the Ralph Waldo Emerson book until the book club choice comes in from hold.
Blush
TH Master

Post by Blush »

I finished A Better Man by Leah McLaren and enjoyed it more than I expected.

Next up: The Little Book of Hygge by Meik Wiking.
Sílvia
Trophy Wife

Post by Sílvia »

Finished Good as Gone. It was AWFUL. I only finished it because I paid for it and I'd already returned a previous book to Amazon. Didn't want to return 2 books in a row :?.

Then I started Our Souls at Night. It's very different from my usual choices and so short it feels more like a novella (160 pages), but so far I'm enjoying reading something less formulaic than my other recent choices.
mellenhead
Shoulder Eater

Post by mellenhead »

Rowan, not weird. I get super excited when I get a brand new book at the library.

Blush, I'm glad they found your book!

I struggled to finish Rich People Problems by Kevin Kwan. It has great reviews on Goodreads so I kept thinking it would get better but it never did for me.

Now I'm reading The Widow of Wall Street by Randy Susan Meyers. It's about a guy who runs a big Ponzi scheme and how it all comes crashing down. It's mindless and predictable.
Sílvia
Trophy Wife

Post by Sílvia »

I struggled to finish Rich People Problems by Kevin Kwan. It has great reviews on Goodreads so I kept thinking it would get better but it never did for me.
I was going to say I don't do that anymore (struggle to finish a book I don't like), but I just did. So I *rarely* do that anymore. I'll finish a book I don't like but paid for if it's short and/or it's a famous book so I wanna know what happens. Lord of the Flies comes to mind. I read it earlier this year (I think) and hated every minute of it, but it was short and super famous, so I wanted to finish it. But something I know in my old age is that if a book hasn't grabbed me by the 10% mark at the most, it never will.
mellenhead
Shoulder Eater

Post by mellenhead »

Sil I've gotten a lot better about abandoning books I don't like. I used to force myself to finish a book if I started. This was the final in a trilogy of books and I LOVED the first book. Kept hoping it would grab me but I pretty much hated every page!
Spudd
TH Master

Post by Spudd »

I'm reading "The Japanese Lover" by Isabel Allende. It's the first book I've read by her, and I found myself completely baffled to find it's set in San Francisco and doesn't feature Latin Americans at all. I was like, but isn't she Chilean? So I looked it up and apparently she moved to the States in the 90's. Now I don't even know if this book was originally in Spanish or English. Anyways, it's a good book.