June! What are you reading?

Moderator: Malanee

Rowan
Stinky Ho Zat Changed Zeh Channel

June! What are you reading?

Post by Rowan »

I'm still reading Her Fearful Symmetry. I like it. I haven't had much time to read this week.

There's a decent list of 29 books to read this summer on NY Post. I tend to like these if you want to google. Building the ever increasing TBR list....
Blush
TH Master

Re: June! What are you reading?

Post by Blush »

My TBR list is out of control!
Rowan

Post by Rowan »

I'm at 378 books on my TBR.
Blush
TH Master

Post by Blush »

Rowan wrote:I'm at 378 books on my TBR.
Yikes, I thought 163 was a lot!
Sílvia
Trophy Wife

Post by Sílvia »

I stopped adding books to mine, otherwise I start hyperventilating. I keep my goodreads shelf at about 70 and my kindle samples at no more than 50. Because what happens is no matter how many samples I have, I never seem to be in the mood for any of them when I finish a book! :cuss
Spudd
TH Master

Post by Spudd »

I finished The Book Thief last night. I ended up giving it 2 stars, "it was ok". I found it too weirdly written for my taste.
Blush
TH Master

Post by Blush »

I finished Hey Harry, Hey Matilda the other day. It was good (told entirely in emails between the adult twins) but the end got a little weird.

Now I have Ithaca by Alan McMonagle. It's set in Ireland, told from the perspective of an 11 year old boy.
mellenhead
Shoulder Eater

Post by mellenhead »

My TBR list is out of control. I have secondary lists so I don't add it to my main list to make it worse. In my head that makes it better. :paranoid

Finished The Hatching by Ezekiel Boone. It's about man-eating spiders that are trying to take over the earth. Sounds bizarre but it was really quite good and I enjoyed it. Was pleasantly surprised to find out it's part of a trilogy and the second book is already out! Love it when that happens.
Blush
TH Master

Post by Blush »

I finished Ithaca. It was quick but depressing.

Next I tried to start one called Two Sisters but it was unbearably cheesy in the first few pages. So instead, I'm going to try "The Best of Adam Sharp" by Graeme Simsion (the guy who wrote The Rosie Project). It's billed as Sliding Doors meets High Fidelity.
Rowan

Post by Rowan »

Thanks mellen...now I'm at 379!
Spudd
TH Master

Post by Spudd »

I started "The Wife's Tale" last night. So far I'm into it. And I love that it's set around here (well, closer to my hometown than here, but still, in my province!).
Sílvia
Trophy Wife

Post by Sílvia »

Spudd wrote:I finished The Book Thief last night. I ended up giving it 2 stars, "it was ok". I found it too weirdly written for my taste.
Thank you! I knew I couldn't be alone. Oh, and I loved The Wife's Tale.

Finished Necessary Lies by Diane Chamberlain last night. Loved it. The ending could have been a liiiittle less neat, plus some things weren't explained properly, but overall this was a great read. I had no idea people were being sterilized against their will in the U.S. until the 1970s. That's insane!

Not sure what's next.
Rowan

Post by Rowan »

I finished History of Wolves last night. I didn't really like it and was a bit lost.

I've had a bad run of books lately.
Sílvia
Trophy Wife

Post by Sílvia »

I tried The Last One by Alexandra Oliva, which had been on my list forever and had a fabulous premise: https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/272 ... earch=true, but I was bored after 40 pages. For one thing, it's confusing. The show team calls the contestants made-up nicknames, while the contestants themselves use their real names, obviously. Plus it was super slow up to page 40. Sorry, next.

Then I started Best Kept Secret by Amy Hatvany, which is about a woman who becomes an alcoholic and loses custody of her 5-year-old child to her ex-husband. I seem to be in the mood for family drama. So far it's engaging.
Rowan

Post by Rowan »

I read The Fall of Lisa Bellows yesterday. Meh.

I have The Hatching in my bag. Thanks mellen!
mellenhead
Shoulder Eater

Post by mellenhead »

Finished two books over the weekend:

The Fact of a Body: A Murder and a Memoir by Alexandria Marzano-Lesnevich - it was really well written but so sad. The murder part was based on a true story, but it wasn't non-fiction.

Skitter by Ezekiel Boone - second book in a trilogy to The Hatching. I enjoyed it, hopefully the final book will be decent.

I started Rich People Problems by Kevin Kwan. I loved his first (I think!) book Crazy Rich Asians but his last two have kind of been stinkers. Not sure I'll finish this one.
Sílvia
Trophy Wife

Post by Sílvia »

I finished Best Kept Secret. It was a bit melodramatic, but I liked it. Didn't love it. 3 stars.

Then I started I Let you Go. I was afraid of picking it up because several people on GR were saying the first half was slow (I really need to stop reading people's opinions before I read a book), and you guys know how impatient I'm getting in my old age. But I'm liking it! I'm on page 108 and it is indeed a little on the slow side in that the crime investigation is not going anywhere so far, but I like the characters and the writing enough that I'm enjoying it anyway. Yay!
Blush
TH Master

Post by Blush »

I finished The Best of Adam Sharp. It was ok. Not nearly as good as The Rosie Project.

Now I have Minds of Winter by Ed O'Loughlin.
Rowan

Post by Rowan »

I finished Woman No 17 tonight. I was really into finishing it but felt just ok about it. Is that weird?

I have Into the Water by Paula Hawkins next. I also got a ton of High school nutmegs that had just come out. I'm excited!!!
mellenhead
Shoulder Eater

Post by mellenhead »

Rowan, maybe because so many (pretty much all) of the characters were so unlikable? I couldn't put that book down but didn't necessarily LOVE it when I was done.

What are high school nutmegs? :headscratch