July already! What are you reading?

Moderator: Malanee

Blush
TH Master

July already! What are you reading?

Post by Blush »

I finished the Erlend Loe novella. It was weird.

Then I started Lesley Pearse's latest, Dead to Me. WWII London, and the unlikely friendship of two young girls.
Rowan
Stinky Ho Zat Changed Zeh Channel

Re: July already! What are you reading?

Post by Rowan »

This weekend I read:

Every last lie / Mary Kubica.
The identicals : a novel / Elin Hilderbrand.
The widow of Wall Street : a novel / Randy Susan Meyers

All fall under the fine category. Widow of Wall Street I might have enjoyed the most of the 3.

I'm reading The light we lost / Jill Santopolo right now and really enjoying it. I hope I can finish it tonight.

Back in June, I talked about some YA (Nutmegs) that I picked up. Nothing amazing unfortunately:

We are the ants / Shaun David Hutchinson. (liked this one the best of the 3 but it's different)
The way I used to be / Amber Smith.
Dumplin' / Julie Murphy.
mellenhead
Shoulder Eater

Post by mellenhead »

Finished:

The Widow of Wall Street - it was decent. Wanted to like it more than I did.

Follow Me Down - pretty good. The ending was a bit convoluted.

Now reading The People We Hate at the Wedding and loving it so far.
Sílvia
Trophy Wife

Post by Sílvia »

Finished the one on Brazilian history. Loved it.

Gave up on The Storyteller by Jodi Picoult after 120 pages. Too slow and I hated the main character.

Not sure what's next. I might pick up the next one in Julia Quinn's Bridgertons series.
Blush
TH Master

Post by Blush »

I finished Dead to Me. It was decent, very much like all her other novels. I like her writing but I have to space out her books as they are all quite similar.

Next a quick read: Canadaland's Guide to Canada. It's by Jesse Brown who runs a small media company, originally purposed to provide criticism of Canadian Media. It's branched out a bit.
Sílvia
Trophy Wife

Post by Sílvia »

I think I've settled on The Tea Planter's Wife for now.
mellenhead
Shoulder Eater

Post by mellenhead »

Sil I refuse to even crack open a Jodi Picoult book at this point. They all make me mad I wasted my time.

Finished The People We Hate at the Wedding by Grant Ginder - I really enjoyed it but think it's one of those books you need a certain sense of humor for, it's a bit crude at times and definitely not a light beach read. I thought it was cynical and funny.

The Dinner Party and Other Stories by Joshua Ferris - kind of hated it. I love his other books but this did nothing for me.

Next up is Give a Girl a Knife by Amy Thielen
Sílvia
Trophy Wife

Post by Sílvia »

Mellen, I still like some of her books, but this one was supposed to be about the Holocaust and until page 125 she had barely touched the subject. The book was 450 pages long and apparently only 150 or so were about the war. Sorry, life's too short.
Blush
TH Master

Post by Blush »

Finished Canadaland's Guide to Canada. It was about what I expected. Tried a little too hard to be funny. Could be confusing as it mixes facts with satire.

Next an older Dorothy Benton Frank book called Bulls Island. Old people reminiscing on an Island off South Carolina. I usually enjoy her stuff.

Update: finished and it was not about old people but 40 year olds. Dialogue clunky, general cheesiness.

Next up is a thriller by Mary Torjussen called Gone Without a Trace.

Edit: nope. The Woman in Cabin 10 came in and it's a short loan, so that's first. The first three chapters have been good.
Blush
TH Master

Post by Blush »

I finished The Woman in Cabin 10. It was good, and quick. Not perfect but I would recommend it.

Now back to Gone without a trace.
Spudd
TH Master

Post by Spudd »

I finished The Japanese Lover and liked, but didn't love it.

Now started on Seveneves by Neil Stephenson. So far it's really good, but most of the reviews in Goodreads say that the first 2/3 is really good and then it goes downhill. So I'm kind of afraid.
Sílvia
Trophy Wife

Post by Sílvia »

Sorry you didn't like The Japanese Lover more, Spudd.

Finished The Tea Planter's Wife. Liked it, but it was a bit soap-opera-ish. The setting was great (Ceylon, 1920s.) It could have been so much better.

Also read a kids' book, Awful Auntie by David Walliams. It a decent story, but I don't get the violence/horribleness of adults in kids' books. In this one said aunt murdered the little girl's parents. Leo hasn't wanted to read this yet, but he LOVED this author's Grandpa's Great Escape. Now that I highly recommend (from what I read, I only skimmed it.) This guy is being compared to Roald Dahl.

Then I started A Long Way Home by Saroo Brierley (sp?), on which the movie Lion was based. Both are highly recommended, movie and book. It's such an extraordinary (true) story.
Blush
TH Master

Post by Blush »

I finished Gone Without a Trace this morning. It was quite good and I will look for more by her.

Then I read And Every Morning The Way Home Gets Longer and Longer by Fredrik Backman. It was a cute little novella but still made me cry. Now I will start Beartown by the same author.
Last edited by Blush on Sun Jul 23, 2017 12:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sílvia
Trophy Wife

Post by Sílvia »

Finished A Long Way Home. Loved it.

Then I started In Order to Live by Yeonmi Park, this girl who scaped North Korea and an Agatha Christie (The Clocks) for something lighter.
mellenhead
Shoulder Eater

Post by mellenhead »

I skim read Give a Girl a Knife by Amy Thielen - it was decent.

Too Fat, Too Slutty, Too Loud: The Rise and Reign of the the Unruly Woman by Anne Helen Petersen - Loved it. Somewhat repetitive at times but over all incredibly interesting and informative.

Into the Water - Paula Hawkins - Meh. For all the hype I wasn't impressed. Too many characters and points of view. The ending annoyed me.

Now reading The Spoonbenders by Daryl Gregory. It's good so far.
Sílvia
Trophy Wife

Post by Sílvia »

I think Into the Water is only getting the hype because The Girl on the Train was so successful, but I haven't read a single reviewer saying they loved it. I hated The Girl on the Train, so I might like this one :lol
mellenhead
Shoulder Eater

Post by mellenhead »

Sílvia wrote:I think Into the Water is only getting the hype because The Girl on the Train was so successful, but I haven't read a single reviewer saying they loved it. I hated The Girl on the Train, so I might like this one :lol
I wasn't impressed by The Girl on the Train at all so I'm not sure why I felt compelled to read Into the Water!
Sílvia
Trophy Wife

Post by Sílvia »

You gave it 4 stars! (I just checked because ALL my goodreads friends liked it.)
mellenhead
Shoulder Eater

Post by mellenhead »

:lol Did I?! I don't remember liking it. Damn it, now I have to go read the blurb about it, maybe I'm thinking of another book. :headscratch
Sílvia
Trophy Wife

Post by Sílvia »

Or maybe you're just like me and feel less enthusiastic about a book you thought you'd loved after a few months? I swear I should start rating books a month after I'm done with them.