July already! What are you reading?

Moderator: Malanee

mellenhead
Shoulder Eater

Re: July already! What are you reading?

Post by mellenhead »

Sil, maybe you are right. :paranoid I do find myself generally being annoyed with books with all kinds of hype here lately.

I finished The Spoonbenders by Daryl Gregory today. I LOVED this book. It was clever and funny. I'm sad I'm done with it. :sadpanda
Sílvia
Trophy Wife

Post by Sílvia »

Finished In Order to Live: A North Korean Girl's Journey to Freedom by Yeonmi Park. Excellent. Highly recommended.

Then I started Hunger - a Memoir of (my) Body by Roxane Gay and a biography of a man known as the "Portuguese Schindler" because he saved thousands of Jewish people in WW2 by giving them visas (he was a consul in France.) Here: http://www.independent.co.uk/news/peopl ... 05882.html. Sadly, it looks like the book hasn't been translated into English.

I seem to be in a non-fiction kick.
mellenhead
Shoulder Eater

Post by mellenhead »

Finished two over the weekend:

Final Girls by Riley Sager - it was a murder/thriller type book. It was fairly decent and I didn't figure out the ending ahead of time.

It Happens All the Time by Amy Hatvany - Hated this book. The author tries to take on the issue of consent / rape and does a REALLY poor job.

Currently reading The Radium Girls: The Dark Story of America's Shining Woman. Only about 100 pages in but it's really good (and sad).
Blush
TH Master

Post by Blush »

I finished Beartown. It's about a hockey town in Sweden and all that goes with that (hero worship of teenage boys and the crap they get away with (including rape), general sexism, and small town life). Could have easily been set in Canada. It certainly didn't make me laugh like other Fredrik Backman books, but it was good.

Now I'm reading a puppy training book. I'm sure I'll skim most of it; the first bit seems to be about deciding if you have the lifestyle for a dog, and how to introduce a pup to cats and dogs already in the home.