September! What are you reading?

Moderator: Malanee

Rowan
Stinky Ho Zat Changed Zeh Channel

September! What are you reading?

Post by Rowan »

I'm a slug and haven't been reading lately. I have some books on hold to pick up hopefully today.
mellenhead
Shoulder Eater

Re: September! What are you reading?

Post by mellenhead »

Finished Mrs. Fletcher by Tom Perrotta. It kind of sucked. The writing and the story.

I think I have decided to reread It by Stephen King since I keep reading articles about the movie. I read it a loooooong time ago when I was probably too young to read it.
Sílvia
Trophy Wife

Post by Sílvia »

Funny, Mellen, I was just reading reviews of It yesterday because a booktuber I watch was raving about it. However, someone on goodreads convinced me it's not for more. Animal torture, pre-teens raping other pre-teens? No, thanks.

I just finished a Brazilian last night. About world war 2, a Jewish family trying to escape the Nazis. They even get Portuguese visas from that consul I read about! I loved how she made him part of the story.

Not sure what's next. I really should read something I already own. I keep buying whatever is 1 or 2 dollars on kindle that seems interesting then never seem in the mood for them.
mellenhead
Shoulder Eater

Post by mellenhead »

Sílvia wrote:Funny, Mellen, I was just reading reviews of It yesterday because a booktuber I watch was raving about it. However, someone on goodreads convinced me it's not for more. Animal torture, pre-teens raping other pre-teens? No, thanks.
I agree with your points - not sure I'll finish it. It's more that I only vaguely remember the story line from reading it at this point and now I'm curious.
Sílvia
Trophy Wife

Post by Sílvia »

Have you read The Dead Zone? I liked the movie a billion years ago and downloaded the sample, but gave up when a character kicked a dog to death in the first few pages. If someone tells me that's the only animal torture scene, I might give it a shot.
mellenhead
Shoulder Eater

Post by mellenhead »

I haven't, I'll have to look it up.

I read The Perennials by Mandy Berman. It's about two girls that meet at a summer camp and then go back as young adult counselors. It sucked. Slow moving, and had roughly 3 chapters in the middle of the book about 4-5 completely new characters that are then never really mentioned again.
Blush
TH Master

Post by Blush »

I finally finished Conversations with Friends by Sally Rooney. It was pretty good.

Next up is The Slow Waltz of Turtles by Katherine Pancol.
Sílvia
Trophy Wife

Post by Sílvia »

I'm reading The One-in-a-Million Boy. The writing's good, but the plot's slow and sad. I'll finish it, though.

Mellen, I saw that you started It. I think I'm gonna give it a try. Despite the points I raised, I keep seeing videos of people raving about it, about how it's much more about the friendship between the kids and blah-blah-blah. I should see it for myself. Plus I liked 3 of the 4 of his books I've read.
mellenhead
Shoulder Eater

Post by mellenhead »

Sílvia wrote:
Mellen, I saw that you started It. I think I'm gonna give it a try. Despite the points I raised, I keep seeing videos of people raving about it, about how it's much more about the friendship between the kids and blah-blah-blah. I should see it for myself. Plus I liked 3 of the 4 of his books I've read.
I'm only about 100 pages in (and it's a door stopper of a book) but really enjoying it. I always forget how much I like his writing, (especially his earlier books).
Sílvia
Trophy Wife

Post by Sílvia »

I hope I like it! I loved 11/22/63 and enjoyed Under the Dome, but found The Stand boring. Loved the beginning, but then it went on and on. And ON. OMG, it never ended. And It is almost as long :? But I'm curious.
Sílvia
Trophy Wife

Post by Sílvia »

Ok, I bought it. But apparently there's a problem with the Brazilian e-book version, so can you do me a favor, Mellen? Some people on amazon are saying that chapters 10 and 11 were switched. I don't know if the publisher has corrected that, since those reviews are a few months old, but could you tell me the titles of those chapters? That way I can read them in order when/if I get there. Thanks! I'm 4% in, so about page 40 or so. It's 1104 pages in Portuguese. Ugh. I hope it doesn't drag. Anyway, I have a week to return it if I don't like it.
mellenhead
Shoulder Eater

Post by mellenhead »

Chapter 10 is The Reunion (page 481)
Chapter 11 is Walking Tours (page 541)

I have a hard copy of the book - 1153 pages(!!)
Sílvia
Trophy Wife

Post by Sílvia »

Thanks! The titles are right, at least. I was wrong, mine is actually 1210 pages! It's always a little longER in Portuguese...

ET to correct: longER
Sílvia
Trophy Wife

Post by Sílvia »

Ugh. I just returned it. Got to 22%. I knew from previous experience that his books are ridiculously violent, and I'm mostly ok with that if the plot is gripping, but I think I draw the line at 4-year-olds being murdered with a hammer. Don't we get enough of that on the news? Violence towards adults in fiction I can handle, towards kids and animals, not so much.

I think I'm gonna try to re-read my beloved The Shadow of the Wind. It'll be my third time, but I don't remember much. I wanna read the remaining books in the series (I've read this and Angel's Game), so I wanna refresh my memory.
Rowan
Stinky Ho Zat Changed Zeh Channel

Post by Rowan »

I'm in a bit of a slump but last 2 books were 4 stars so it's totally me.

Final Girls by Riley Sager
The Seven Husbands of Evelyn Hugo by Taylor Jenkins Reid

I have The Heirs next.
Blush
TH Master

Post by Blush »

I finished The Slow Waltz of Turtles by Katherine Pancol. It was bad. The translation to English was not good and the book tried to be too many genres, with too many characters.

Next is Don't Close Your Eyes by Holly Seddon.
Blush
TH Master

Post by Blush »

Don't Close Your Eyes was a decent quick read. Next up is My Not So Perfect Life by Sophie Kinsella.

I need to get more books at the library this weekend!
mellenhead
Shoulder Eater

Post by mellenhead »

I am a little over halfway through IT and loving it. It took until about page 400 for me to get to the point that I really don't want to put it down.

My plan is to finish it this weekend as I forgot to freeze my hold list at the library and had like 5 books come in all at once, all of which I would like to read. Including the new Celeste Ng book Little Fires Everywhere. I loved her first book.
Sílvia
Trophy Wife

Post by Sílvia »

Finished The Shadow of the Wind, which is still one of my top 5 books in life. Then I started The Prisoner of Heaven, its sequel. I read the prequel (Angel's Game) a few years ago, liked it but don't remember much, but don't feel like rereading it now. Everyone says Prisoner of Heaven is a weaker (and shorter) book, but I want to read the final book in the series, which was recently released, so I need to read this first. I like the beginning, though.
mellenhead
Shoulder Eater

Post by mellenhead »

I FINALLY finished It. I have Stephen King fatigue at this point. It was good but FFS I feel like half the book was in italics, which drove me nuts.

Next up is the Resurrection of Joan Ashby.