November?! What are you reading?

Moderator: Malanee

Rowan
Stinky Ho Zat Changed Zeh Channel

November?! What are you reading?

Post by Rowan »

I started Beartown by Frederik Backman last night. So far so good. I had started 3 different books since Saturday and ditched them so its nice to find one to stick with.

But it's about a hockey town so....no surprise....
mellenhead
Shoulder Eater

Re: November?! What are you reading?

Post by mellenhead »

I posted in the wrong month! Re-posting here.

I skim read the Hilary Clinton book. It was good but long and a little repetitive in places.

Just finished up Eliza and Her Monsters by Francesca Zappia. It was really good. It's a YA book about a HS girl that creates a super popular webcomic but as creator she is anonymous.

Next up is No One Can Pronounce My Name by Rakesh Satyal

Added: Rowan did you finish See What I Have Done? Worth reading?
Rowan

Post by Rowan »

mellen, I did finish it and liked it. It even prompted discussions with S and M about it.
Sílvia
Trophy Wife

Post by Sílvia »

Finished Under the Influence by Joyce Maynard. Loved it! I was hooked from the beginning. I wasn't sure what to expect, it's a drama, but very suspenseful. If you're curious, do yourself a favor and don't read the whole blurb, it reveals too much. Now I have a sample of another one of hers, After Her. I've only read the first 5 pages or so.
Spudd
TH Master

Post by Spudd »

Finished "Where I Lost Her" by T Greenwood. I really liked it. Thumbs up!

I don't know yet what I'm gonna read next. Maybe a non-fiction.
Rowan

Post by Rowan »

I finished Beartown. I liked it but I wouldn't call it a hockey book. There were a few head scratchy parts but it might be a cultural thing (translated from Swedish).

I also read Love as a Consolation Prize and Other Things by Jamie Ford which was really good. I'll look into his other books.

I also read The Breakdown by BA Paris which had some poorly constructed/clunky dialogue but I liked the story. I'll look for her other book but realize that I'm not going to get true to life dialog.

Can anyone tell I had some time this weekend?
Spudd
TH Master

Post by Spudd »

I decided to start "Salt Sugar Fat", which is a non-fiction about the food industry.
Blush
TH Master

Post by Blush »

I finished The Heirs. It was fine, nothing earth shattering. Next is Ruin Falls by Jenny Milchman. My mom suggested it; it’s suspense. Reviews are all over the place though.
Sílvia
Trophy Wife

Post by Sílvia »

I think I finally settled on When Dimple Met Rishi last night, after several samples. It's light and fluffy, which is exactly what I needed.
Rowan

Post by Rowan »

I have Dimple in my pile currently Syl so you'll have to let me know how you like it.

I'm currently reading Everything I Never Told You by Celeste Ng. So far so good. I'd really like to finish it tonight if I can. Hopefully the headaches will calm down.
mellenhead
Shoulder Eater

Post by mellenhead »

DNF No One Can Pronounce My Name by Rakesh Satyal. Just couldn't get into it.

Finished See What I Have Done - a retelling of the Lizzie Borden murders. It was really good. And I loved the cover.

I have The Butchering Art: Joseph Lister's Quest to Transform the Grisly World of Victorian Medicine by Lindsey Fitzharris and the new Stephen King book Sleeping Beauties from the library to read next.
Rowan

Post by Rowan »

Finished Dimple this weekend. Light and fluffy. I don't know a whole lot about Indian culture so I enjoyed the words I needed to look up. Haha.

I started More Happy Than Not by Adam Silvera. Another YA book.

I'm coming down to the wire with reading this year so I'll be choosing a bunch of YA that are easier reads to at least get to 100.
Sílvia
Trophy Wife

Post by Sílvia »

I'm hating Dimple, Rowan! I started Missing Pieces by Heather Gudenkauf meanwhile because I'm so bored.
Blush
TH Master

Post by Blush »

I finished Ruin Falls by Jenny Milchman. It was pretty good.

Next up is We Should All be Feminists by Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie.

Update: I read this during supper (it's only 52 pages, probably 15-20 minutes of reading). Highly recommended.

Next is Weapons of Math Destruction by Cathy O'Neil.
A former Wall Street quant sounds an alarm on mathematical modeling—a pervasive new force in society that threatens to undermine democracy and widen inequality.
Sílvia
Trophy Wife

Post by Sílvia »

Finished When Dimple Met Rishi. OMG, it was painfully predictable. I'm so glad it's over. Now I can focus on Missing Pieces. Which is my least favorite of hers so far :cuss
mellenhead
Shoulder Eater

Post by mellenhead »

Finished The Butchering Art: Joseph Lister's Quest to Transform the Grisly World of Victorian Medicine by Lindsey Fitzharris. It was quite good. Makes me appreciate modern medicine that's for sure.

Not sure what's up next. I have the new Stephen King but it's a billion pages, not sure I'm in the mood for that.
Blush
TH Master

Post by Blush »

I finished Weapons of Math Destruction. It was a timely look at how algorithms are affecting modern life.

Next a novel called Swimming Home by Mary Rose MacColl.
mellenhead
Shoulder Eater

Post by mellenhead »

Decided I wasn't going to get through the new Stephen King before it was due back.

Got about a quarter of the way in to Hiddensee: A Tale of the Once and Future Nutcracker by Gregory Maguire. It was pretty bad. With the exception of Wicked I always feel like his book ideas are better than the actual execution.

Read Heather, the Totality by Matthew Weiner (creator of Mad Man) last night. It's short, only a 144 pages. I really really enjoyed it but it seems like people are very split on the writing, you either love it or hate it.

I think next up is Renegades by Marissa Meyer.
Last edited by mellenhead on Mon Nov 20, 2017 11:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
Rowan

Post by Rowan »

With the exception of Wicked I always feel like his book ideas are always better than the actual execution.
Yes, exactly.

I'm reading The Child by Fiona Barton. It's pretty slow in the beginning with lots of viewpoints by chapter.
Sílvia
Trophy Wife

Post by Sílvia »

Mellen, did you start Sleeping Beauties and didn't like it or didn't even get started? I'm curious about it too.

Finished Missing Pieces. It was ok. The weakest of all her books. Now I'm reading Fried Green Tomatoes at the Whistle Stop Café. I like it, but don't love it.