December! What are you reading?

Moderator: Malanee

Blush
TH Master

Re: December! What are you reading?

Post by Blush »

The Woman in the Wood was ok, but every character seemed to speak the same.

Next is the new Penny Vincenzi book, A Question of Trust, which is so huge I think it may prevent me from meeting my book goal. But it will be good and I can't renew it.
Spudd
TH Master

Post by Spudd »

I finished "One Second After" a while ago. I wouldn't really recommend it. It paints an interesting scenario but the character development is not good and the editing is really bad, which I have a hard time getting past.

Now I'm reading "Foods that Fight Fibromyalgia". I don't know if I have Fibromyalgia, if I do, I think it's a very mild case. But I do have persistent muscle pain that bothers me daily so I figured it wouldn't hurt to see if changing my diet might help. So far though, she keeps contradicting herself. Like in one breath she'll say you shouldn't eat meat, and in the next, she says meat is a good source of protein. I mean, I guess maybe both are true but why would you include meat in a list of protein-foods if you don't want people to eat it?
mellenhead
Shoulder Eater

Post by mellenhead »

Finished Artemis - it was pretty good. Light and amusing.

I'm about a quarter of the way into Behind Her Eyes by Sarah Pinborough and I can't put it down.
Sílvia
Trophy Wife

Post by Sílvia »

I finally finished HP and the Prisoner of Azkaban. I thought it was kinda slow and repetitive at first, but found it picked up considerably towards the end. I LOVED the plot twist! Since I've never seen the movies either (just the first two, after I'd read the books), this is all new to me. I have to be careful about spoilers online. People assume everyone's read all the books by now, but I haven't!

I'm also reading The Trophy Child by Paula Daly. I'm enjoying it so far (page 80 or so).

I also started rereading The House of the Spirits, which I absolutely adored the first time I read, but am having a bit of trouble getting through the beginning now. Huh. The first character she focuses on is a major asshole and I'm hating reading about him. I think the first time I read it I loved her writing so much that this guy didn't bother me much. Anyway, I'll stick with it because I know the women in this book rock and this guy will change some. I know it's a wonderful book.
Sílvia
Trophy Wife

Post by Sílvia »

mellenhead wrote: I'm about a quarter of the way into Behind Her Eyes by Sarah Pinborough and I can't put it down.
This sounds up my alley and is 3 dollars on Kindle!
mellenhead
Shoulder Eater

Post by mellenhead »

Finished Behind Her Eyes - it had quite the twist at the end, I thought it was good.
Rowan
Stinky Ho Zat Changed Zeh Channel

Post by Rowan »

mellen - Glad to hear you liked Artemis. I've heard not great reviews.

Hit 100 books with Heather, the Totality. This book is getting so much buzz and I don't know why. I really didn't like it at all.

I'm reading The Gatekeepers which is YA fiction from Jen Lancaster. So far it's ok. In terms of her fiction books, I generally like her dialog better than the plot which I guess makes sense because she's really a memoir writer.
Spudd
TH Master

Post by Spudd »

I kinda finished the Foods for Fibromyalgia book. Would not recommend. It basically just said "eat healthy" without any real guidelines. She talked about going gluten-free but then she would talk about eating whole wheat, etc. It was not very good.

Now I'm reading "Mercy" by Jodi Picoult.
mellenhead
Shoulder Eater

Post by mellenhead »

Rowan, Artemis is not on par with The Martian by any stretch of the imagination. But it was a fun read.

I enjoyed Heather, The Totality but also don't get the major buzz. I think it's because of the author since he wrote Mad Men.
Blush
TH Master

Post by Blush »

I finished the Penny Vinceni book. It was so good. I love her.

Now Trevor Noah's memoir.
Sílvia
Trophy Wife

Post by Sílvia »

I have that sample on my kindle, Blush. The Penny Vincenzi. Should give it a try.

Finished The Trophy Child. Thoroughly enjoyed it, in that non-memorable way. Will probably pick up her other books at some point.

Then I started a Brazilian about this blind woman and her... guide dog? seeing-eye dog? What do you call that? It's very short, just 130 pages, and it talks about how she and her dog helped change laws here involving these dogs and accessibility in general.
Blush
TH Master

Post by Blush »

I finished the Trevor Noah memoir and have started Lily and the Octopus. I have pre-warned R that I will likely be crying while reading it.

Update: I finished Lily and the Octopus, started crying at page 132 and didn't stop. Oh, God, I am glad that there were a few months between Tie's death and me reading this. There were so many similarities. Especially the guilt over every time I got angry with him during his lifetime.

I loved Steven Rowley's writing.

And I met my book goal of 70 for the year!
Spudd
TH Master

Post by Spudd »

Isn't that awful, Blush? I haven't read that book, but a week or 2 after Hope died we went to see "The Secret Life of Pets" and I just about died. And then on the cruise this summer (over a year after she died) I saw "A Street Cat Named Bob" and bawled. I just can't handle it. I don't know if it will get better over time.

I keep jonesing for a new pet but we have all these travel plans so it really doesn't make sense to get one.
Blush
TH Master

Post by Blush »

Spudd wrote:Isn't that awful, Blush? I haven't read that book, but a week or 2 after Hope died we went to see "The Secret Life of Pets" and I just about died. And then on the cruise this summer (over a year after she died) I saw "A Street Cat Named Bob" and bawled. I just can't handle it. I don't know if it will get better over time.

I keep jonesing for a new pet but we have all these travel plans so it really doesn't make sense to get one.
:hug

I keep thinking that I'd love to co-own a pet with a neighbour. A friend from high school had that arrangement with their next door neighbours. The cat would come and go, and if either family went away they'd make sure the other family was going to be around. The cat seemed to love it (he was an outdoor cat, so he'd just show up at whichever house he wanted in).