January 2018!! What are you reading?

Moderator: Malanee

Blush
TH Master

Re: January 2018!! What are you reading?

Post by Blush »

I also finished Little Fires Everywhere. Also enjoyed it, the ending also felt a little odd to me.

Back to The Missing by Jane Casey.
Spudd
TH Master

Post by Spudd »

I read a bunch of books on vacation.

Operation Hailstorm by Brett Arquette - I think this is self-published, the author messaged me on Goodreads and offered me to download a free copy in exchange for reviewing it. It was actually pretty entertaining, although it had some self-published quirks. My favorite line was "He thought about accidentally poking her in the eye to see if she was wearing contacts, but he couldn't think of a way to nonchalantly pull that off." LOL. Anyway, the plot was good, and I enjoyed it.

All Stories are Love Stories by Elizabeth Percer - This was really good. It was set in San Francisco during an earthquake.
Fitness Junkie by Lucy Sykes - This was laugh-out-loud funny in parts. Overall it was light and fluffy, a fun beach read.
All by Myself, Alone by Mary Higgins Clark - Mystery set on a cruise ship. Not bad, but not great either.
The Woman in Cabin 10 by Ruth Ware - Another mystery set on a cruise ship, LOL. I enjoyed this one more than the Clark one.
Blush
TH Master

Post by Blush »

Spudd, I've read 3 of your choices (all but Operation Hailstorm and the Mary Higgins Clark) and enjoyed them all.

I gave up on The Day She Disappeared. It wasn't grabbing me.

Now I've got The Party by Elizabeth Day.
Sílvia
Trophy Wife

Post by Sílvia »

Everyone I know has given 4 stars to Little Fires Everywhere, so I think I'll give it a shot. I found her first book very well written, but so depressing. Have you guys read it?

I'm still reading No Angel by Penny Vincenzi. Page 470, I think. It's entertaining, but SO soap-opera-ish.
mellenhead
Shoulder Eater

Post by mellenhead »

Finished The Job of the Wasp by Colin Winnette - what a weird book. It was a mystery/thriller that never truly made sense. It was short so I kept reading but it never really came together.

I'm about halfway through Red Clocks by Leni Zumas - It's a dystopian novel - abortion is illegal in the US, in-vitro fertilization is banned, and the Personhood Amendment grants rights of life, liberty, and property to every embryo (taken from goodreads). The writing is very different and sort of choppy but I'm enjoying the story. It's taking me a looong time to read though.
Blush
TH Master

Post by Blush »

I just finished The Party by Elizabeth Day. It was compelling.

Next is Mrs. Fletcher by Tom Perrotta.
mellenhead
Shoulder Eater

Post by mellenhead »

Red Clocks by Leni Zumas - I ended up really loving this book. The writing is intentionally choppy so it's something you'd have to be in the right mood to read it, I think.

I'm about halfway through The Cruel Prince by Holly Black - It's about mortals living among faeries in their world, which coexists alongside the mortal world. It's pretty decent so far.