April: What are you reading?

Moderator: Malanee

Rowan
Stinky Ho Zat Changed Zeh Channel

April: What are you reading?

Post by Rowan »

:wave

I read a bunch this weekend. I read Lisa Genova's latest Every Note Played which was good but I feel that she's starting to be a bit formulaic just change the neurological disease. This was ALS.

I read The Immortalists which was AWESOME! Best book of 2018 for me so far!!
Sílvia
Trophy Wife

Re: April: What are you reading?

Post by Sílvia »

Ro, I've read 2 by Lisa Genova, Still Alice and Left Neglected. Loved the former, hated the latter. But yeah, apparently she can only write about neurological diseases. Also, I should give The Immortalists another chance. I started it a while ago and wasn't feeling it, but I can't have read more than 10 pages or so.

Finished the Brazilian chronicles, then read another Brazilian by a woman who was infected with the HIV at age 16 by her first boyfriend. Talk about bad luck. She was probably the first woman in Brazil to be infected. The book was written only 10 years later, and I found the writing very childish. I'm more curious about her later life. She's still alive and in relative health, with today's meds. She's less than a year younger than me, and I couldn't stop thinking of the what ifs as I read it.

Then I started Before the Fall by Noah Hawley. I'm only on page 105, but it's holding my attention so far.
Rowan

Post by Rowan »

Ro, I've read 2 by Lisa Genova, Still Alice and Left Neglected. Loved the former, hated the latter. But yeah, apparently she can only write about neurological diseases.
To be fair, she is a neuroscientist so she is relying on her expertise in her fiction but still....
Sílvia
Trophy Wife

Post by Sílvia »

I know she is. I'm just not that interested personally.
Blush
TH Master

Post by Blush »

I finished In the Midst of Winter by Isabelle Allende. It was good, with a timely theme.

Then I started The Martian by Andy Weir. It's been riding around in my suitcase for years and I'm almost done and will leave it in the condo library for someone else. It's more compelling than I expected. I have not seen the movie.

After that there's a British suspense novel I picked up in the library.
Blush
TH Master

Post by Blush »

Ok, the book I now have is he said she said (all lower case?) It's by Erin Kelly.
Rowan

Post by Rowan »

Blush, if you like The Martian -- I suggest watching the movie too. They did a really good job with it and Matt Damon is wonderful in it.
Blush
TH Master

Post by Blush »

I finished He Said /She Said by Erin Kelly. It was a perfect beach read.

Now I have The Couple Next Door by Shari Lapena. It was in the condo library and when I went to put it in Goodreads I had already marked it "to read". It's quick; I'm already a third done.

Rowan, I will check out the movie version of The Martian. R has already seen it.
Rowan

Post by Rowan »

I read The Marriage Pact this weekend which I really liked.

I have The Dry up next on my pile but I'm not excited about reading it for some reason. It's highly reviewed but feel that it starts off "dry". :ohyou
Blush
TH Master

Post by Blush »

I finished The Couple Next Door. It was pretty good.

Now I have The Girl Who Came Back by Susan Lewis.
Sílvia
Trophy Wife

Post by Sílvia »

Finished Before the Fall. Didn't like it. It had its moments, but I had to skim through the last third of the book because I was so bored.

Then I started the sample of... The Family next Door? Something like that.
Spudd
TH Master

Post by Spudd »

I finished "Right Behind You" by Lisa Gardner. It was decent. Even though it was the 7th book in a series where I hadn't read the first six, I still enjoyed it. It was nothing special, but a good thriller beach read.

Now I'm challenging myself a bit more with "The Handmaid's Tale" by Margaret Atwood. I read this originally when I was in high school but I don't remember a thing about it.
Blush
TH Master

Post by Blush »

This Susan Lewis book is crap but I have nothing else so I will skim the rest.
Blush
TH Master

Post by Blush »

I gave the Susan Lewis book 1 star. Then I read other 1 star reviews and there were quite a few who felt the same way (bogged down plot, 2D characters, unnecessary back story, weird jumping around in time).

Now a library book for today and the plane (unless it's so good I finish today): We were on a break by Lindsey Kelk. Looks light.
Blush
TH Master

Post by Blush »

I finished We were on a break. It was about what I expected.

Next is The Pool House by Tasmina Perry.
Sílvia
Trophy Wife

Post by Sílvia »

Finished The Family Next Door by Sally Hepworth. Loved it! She seems to be some sort of Liane Moriarty wannabe, which is fine by me. I love Liane! Then I picked another one by her, The Mother's Promise.
Rowan

Post by Rowan »

I finished As You Wish by Chelsea Sedoti (YA novel) that I really liked. It isn't classic literature but I liked the backstory of some of the past wishes.

From Amazon:
Madison is a small town in the Mojave desert on the road between nothing and nowhere. It's an unremarkable speck on the map, which is perfect for protecting the town's secret. Because in Madison, everyone can make one wish on their eighteenth birthday-and that wish always comes true.

Most of Eldon's classmates have had their wishes picked out for months, even years. Not Eldon. He's seen how wishing has hurt the people around him. His parents' marriage is strained, his sister is a virtual ghost in their house, his ex-girlfriend is dating his ex-friend...where does he even begin?

One thing is for sure: Eldon has only twenty-five days to figure it out―and the rest of his life to live with the consequences.

Next up is Strange Weather by Joe Hill.
Blush
TH Master

Post by Blush »

I abandoned The Summer House. It was pretty bad.

Now I have Two Steps Forward by Graeme Simsion (Rosie Project) and Anne Buist (his wife and a psychiatrist/author).
Sílvia
Trophy Wife

Post by Sílvia »

Finished The Mother's Promise. I'm not a huge fan of sick lit, but this was very, very gripping. The first half was better than the second, though. After a while it was pretty obvious where it was headed, and things were wrapped up too neatly. Still, held my attention to the very end.

Then I started Then She Was Gone by Lisa Jewell.
Blush
TH Master

Post by Blush »

I finished Two Steps Forward. It was meh.

Now I have a short story by Gillian Flynn called The Grownup.