December! What are you reading?

Moderator: Malanee

Rowan
Stinky Ho Zat Changed Zeh Channel

December! What are you reading?

Post by Rowan »

I read The Masterpiece by Fiona Davis this weekend. I really liked it. It's about Grand Central Terminal and has 2 narratives: 1920s and 1970s. I love learning about something when I read fiction.

I have Scythe by Neal Shusterman next.
Blush
TH Master

Re: December! What are you reading?

Post by Blush »

I finished The Incendiaries. It was meh.

Now I have One Perfect Lie but Lisa Scottoline.
Blush
TH Master

Post by Blush »

I finished One perfect Lie. The plot was ok but the dialogue was clunky. It was a quick read, though!

Now I am reading Ready Player One by Ernest Cline. It was on the staff recommendation shelf at the library.
Rowan

Post by Rowan »

I've had a book hangover from The Masterpiece and haven't picked up anything in a week. :? Part of it is that I've had to work every night this week. Hopefully I can kick myself out of it this weekend.

Blush -- I liked Ready Player One but not as much as "everyone else". Enjoy!
Blush
TH Master

Post by Blush »

I finished Ready Player One. I liked it!

Next is The hideaway by Sheila O'Flanagan
Blush
TH Master

Post by Blush »

I finished The Hideaway. It would have been better as a beach read.

Now I have House of Trump, House of Putin by Craig Unger. I'm 44 pages in and it's scary already!
Blush
TH Master

Post by Blush »

I finished House of Trump, House of Putin. Yikes.

Now I have The BFG. It's one of the only Roald Dahl books I didn't read as a kid.
Blush
TH Master

Post by Blush »

I finished The BFG and it wasn't as good as I remember most of his books being.

Then I read Atonement. It was good in the emotional sense but I found some of the plot boring. I had watched the movie years ago.

Now I have Flawed by Cecelia Ahern. It's a YA novel that I found in the library here. OMG so good already. It has a Black Mirror /Handmaid's Tale vibe to it.

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/23438288-flawed
Blush
TH Master

Post by Blush »

I finished Flawed. It was really good; I will have to find the next in the series. Now I have The Memory Keeper's Daughter.
Sílvia
Trophy Wife

Post by Sílvia »

When the stroke hit us on Nov 24th I was at 72% in The Possible World. I wasn't loving it, ended up giving it 3 stars, but I'll remember forever that I was reading this damn book when our lives were turned upside down. I kinda feel sorry for the author. It took me more than 2 weeks to finish the remaining 100 pages or so, and I'm not too sure of what I read.

Then I tried to read One Day in December because it was supposed to be light and fluffy. I got to 25% and thought it was just stupid. Then I tried reading something by Kelly Rimmer about a woman who was addicted to drugs and was pregnant. Too heavy.

Then I think I settled on This Could Change Everything by Jill Mansell, which so far seems the right amount of light and fluffy. I really can't handle anything heavier right now.
Rowan

Post by Rowan »

Maybe some fluffy YA Syl? Not sure if you dig that stuff but I really liked the Jenny Han trilogy (To All the Boys I've Loved Before).

Over Christmas I read: My Sister, the Serial Killer (which I liked) and When Life Give You Lululemons (which I didn't but knew I wouldn't so not sure why I even read it).

I started reading The 7.5 Lives of Evelyn Hardcastle at the dealership (oil change) and it's not grabbing me quite yet. I just picked up the new Bullet Journal how-to so I might jump to that.
Sílvia
Trophy Wife

Post by Sílvia »

I might try that, Ro. Thanks for the suggestion! The last couple of days I've read 43 pages, yay! I just couldn't focus before and never read more than 2 pages, tops.
Blush
TH Master

Post by Blush »

I also suggest YA, Silvia. I'm sorry it's hard to read. You need an escape!

I finished The Memory Keeper's Daughter. I liked the first half better than the second.

I also brought Water for Elephants, which I have never read, but I just found a short suspense novel in the library here that I can get through aND put back. It's called Unbecoming by Rebecca Scherm. Kate Atkinson says it's a sheer delight to read. And Buzzfeed likens it to Tana French. We shall see.
Spudd
TH Master

Post by Spudd »

I liked Water for Elephants, although I listened to the audiobook instead of reading it. Sometimes that helps so I never know if I'm being a fair judge or not.

I've been reading the Jack Reacher books for the past long while (I got a compilation of the first 6 in a single ebook, so it's taking a while). I'm really enjoying them. They're easy reads but there's some suspense and mystery to keep you interested. And Jack Reacher is such a ridiculous character that he entertains me.
Blush
TH Master

Post by Blush »

I finished Unbecoming. It was really compelling and kept me intrigued.

Now I have Elizabeth is missing by Emma Healey.