The Care of Ravenously Hungry Girls -- which was really good
The Kiss Quotient -- enjoyed but more "sexy" than I was expecting LOL
The Winter Girl -- meh

I have One of Us is Lying next.
Blush
TH Master

Re: April: What are you reading?

Post by Blush »

I finished I know You Know by Gilly MacMillan. It was fairly suspenseful.

Now I have The Plus One by Sophia Money-Coutts. It's light (kind of a rom com feel) but so far I really like the writing.
Bugsy
Noodles and Corn

Post by Bugsy »

Just working on a couple Peru guidebooks and websites at the moment. Soon I also need to start studying for a professional certification, so that's going to cut into the fun reading a little bit.
Blush
TH Master

Post by Blush »

I finished The Plus One. It was just what I needed: light, but not vapid, and funny.

Next up is Come with Me by Helen Schulman.
Sílvia
Trophy Wife

Post by Sílvia »

I finished Michelle Obama's book. I liked it, but I have to admit I found it much more interesting after she met Obama :crystal

Then I started The Nix by what's his name... Nathan Hill? It'd been on my radar for a while. I almost gave up at the 15% mark or so (it's not really my style), but the plot seemed up my alley, so I continued. I'm enjoying it more than not, though I'm at a part I don't like right now. Oh well. I have a feeling it'll be a 3-star book in the end. I'm at 43% or so (the Brazilian edition has 723 pages. Portuguese always needs more words to say the same thing).
Rowan
Stinky Ho Zat Changed Zeh Channel

Post by Rowan »

Interesting that Portuguese needs more words. Can you read English and Portuguese at an equal speed? Wondering if even though Brazilian edition is longer it might be "quicker".

I'm reading My Lovely Wife which is weird but entertaining.
Sílvia
Trophy Wife

Post by Sílvia »

Ro, I think I read at the same speed in both languages, but since I just can't NOT look up a word I don't know, I end up reading faster in Portuguese.
Spudd
TH Master

Post by Spudd »

I forget what I was reading before, but now I started The Woman at the Window by AJ Carr (I think?). I'm into it. It has kind of a Girl on the Train vibe but it's different enough.
Blush
TH Master

Post by Blush »

I finished Come with me by Helen Schulman (a little disjointed but good) and The Italian Party by Christina Lynch (quite good).

I am taking 3 books to Barbados. One is Water For Elephants, and I can't remember the other two. I am hoping there's a book exchange at the hotel.
Rowan

Post by Rowan »

I loved Water for Elephants Blush!

This weekend I read a few new releases that I need to bring back to the library ASAP.

My Lovely Wife by Samantha Downing (I liked it; the premise was a little weird though)
Run Away by Harlan Coben (I liked this too but not as much as i like his stand alones)

I have The River by Peter Heller on my pile of new releases that I need to get to as well.
Blush
TH Master

Post by Blush »

I started with Between Sisters by Cathy Kelly.
Blush
TH Master

Post by Blush »

I finished Between Sisters. It was typical Cathy Kelly.

Now I have The Storyteller by Jodi Picoult. I'm saving Water For Elephants for the trip home as I'm sure my mom hasn't read it and I want to pass it on to her.
Blush
TH Master

Post by Blush »

I finished The Storyteller by Jodi Picoult. It was different from anything else I have ever read by her. (Back and forth between present day and the Holocaust.) It was gripping.

Now I have a memoir called This is Going to Hurt by Adam Kay. "secret diaries of a junior doctor"
Sílvia
Trophy Wife

Post by Sílvia »

Holy shit, Blush, one day I wanna be able to read 500 pages+ in 24 hours. I'm sure you liked the book and was reading most of the time, but still. And btw, I could not get into The Storyteller at all, and I usually like her. Oh well.

Finished The Nix. It had its moments and I'm glad I finished it, and I can see why some people love it, but the style was (mostly) not for me. Too acid, too cynical, and oh my God, he did not need so many words to tell that story, but I still wanted to know how it would end. 2.5 stars.

Now I have Cyberstorm by Matthew somebody (Mather?) about the collapse of civilization after a cyberattack. Civilization collapsing is always fun.
Blush
TH Master

Post by Blush »

I think the only reason I can read so much on vacation is lack of distraction.

I finished the medical memoir. It was funny and heartbreaking at the same time.

I picked up "Need to Know" by Karen Cleveland today. It's a psychological suspense novel. I love hotel book swaps!
Rowan

Post by Rowan »

I just finished I Miss You When I Blink by Mary Laura Philpott which is a collection of essays. I really enjoyed it and related to her stories (40's, have presumably "it all" but weirdly unhappy, etc).

I have The Better Sister by Alafair Burke up next. I generally love all her stuff but the reviews coming back from this one aren't great. :paranoid
Blush
TH Master

Post by Blush »

Need to Know by Karen Cleveland had me hooked until the end. It was very suspenseful.

Not sure what's next. I really need to get to the library.
Sílvia
Trophy Wife

Post by Sílvia »

Ro, I just checked that author and that's actually one of her better rated books on goodreads: https://www.goodreads.com/search?q=alafair+burke

Finished Cyberstorm. The writing was simplistic and there was zero character development, but the plot was gripping. I didn't like the ending, though. Too neat. 3 stars.

Started The Mother-in-Law by Sally Hepworth. I like it so far, but not as much as her previous books. We'll see.
Blush
TH Master

Post by Blush »

I did not manage to get to the library so I am raiding my stash. I am trying Tell it to the Skies by Erica James.
Rowan

Post by Rowan »

Thumbs up on The Better Sister. Glad I decided to read it -- sometimes reading reviews and hype isn't good.

I'm currently reading Before She Knew Him by Peter Swanson and really enjoying it.

I'm off for 2 weeks before I start the new job so there will be lots of reading. :wave