October: What are you reading?

Moderator: Malanee

Rowan
Stinky Ho Zat Changed Zeh Channel

October: What are you reading?

Post by Rowan »

Sorry...I didn't play much last month.

I'm reading The Whisper Network (not to be confused with The Whisper Man which I also have on hold) and I"m liking it. From GoodReads: Whisper Network is a timely and powerful read about four women working in corporate America who band together to stop the whispers and speak up about sexual harassment and assault in the workplace. This is part mystery part women's fiction, and part social commentary told through the voices of four women.

I also won an ARC of The Antidote for Everything by Kimmery Martin. I loved her book The Queen of Hearts (medical fiction) so I'm excited to read this one!
Sílvia
Trophy Wife

Re: October: What are you reading?

Post by Sílvia »

I didn't play much last month, either. Mostly because I was reading a bunch of Brazilians that haven't been translated into English. I also read Behold the Dreamers and was utterly unimpressed.

Now I have Together by Julie Cohen: https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/30046912-together. Several reviews start with "I'm not much of a romance reader, but this was great", so I'm trusting these people, because I'm not much of a romance reader, either.

The Whisper Network has been on my radar, Ro. Let us know how you like it.
Blush
TH Master

Post by Blush »

Since I last updated I read The Perfect Nanny, A Good Enough Mother and Salem Falls. None of them outstanding.

I am finally going to start Water For Elephants. It's ridden around in my suitcase for a few trips.
Blush
TH Master

Post by Blush »

I enjoyed Water For Elephants.

Next up is Parting Shot by Linwood Barclay.
Rowan
Stinky Ho Zat Changed Zeh Channel

Post by Rowan »

I really liked The Whisper Network.

Not sure what's next...I started Marilou is Everywhere and I don't think I'm going to continue. I can't put my finger on why - I think I don't like the writing. I have so many books I bought at various book fairs this summer that I should tackle.

Anyone read The Secret History by Donna Tartt? It's long but supposed to be a good one for fall.
Spudd
TH Master

Post by Spudd »

I'm still slogging through all the Anne books. I'm getting towards the end now. I don't really know why I'm keeping going. At this point it's more about her kids than her, she's just kinda lurking in the background. It's just, you get invested, I guess.
Sílvia
Trophy Wife

Post by Sílvia »

Anyone read The Secret History by Donna Tartt? It's long but supposed to be a good one for fall.
I read it a million years ago, when it came out. I think it was 1995 or so. I remember very little, but I do remember I enjoyed it. I think it's a bit of a slow burner and more character than plot-driven.
Blush
TH Master

Post by Blush »

I finished the Linwood Barclay book. It was pretty easy to figure out but still enjoyable.

The new Malcolm Gladwell is waiting for me at the library and I think I'll read that next.
Sílvia
Trophy Wife

Post by Sílvia »

Together had a ridiculously soap opera-ish conclusion. I suspected it from the start, but thought that was certainly not where it was headed, right? Wrong! Ugh.

Now I'm reading and thoroughly enjoying Don't You Forget About Me by Mhairi McFarlane (did you know that name's pronounced Vah-ree??) Only problem is 1 word out of 3 is a weird slangy Scottish (I think) term. It's a bit slow going because of that. Some of her books have been translated into Portuguese (not this one, though) and I wonder if they hired someone remotely competent to translate them. It's not a very good publisher, so I doubt it, but I'll certainly give them a try if I like this one.
Blush
TH Master

Post by Blush »

I finished the Malcolm Gladwell book, it was pretty much what I expected.

Also The Happiness Equation by the guy who wrote the Book of Awesome. Full of cliches but good reminders.

Now I have a novel called Less by Andrew Sean Greer.
Spudd
TH Master

Post by Spudd »

Blush, was it "Talking to Strangers"? What was the TL;DR?
Blush
TH Master

Post by Blush »

Spudd wrote: Sun Oct 13, 2019 10:22 am Blush, was it "Talking to Strangers"? What was the TL;DR?
Yes! I skimmed the chapter about poets because I had read that his sources for that aren't good. The first chapter and a couple others were used on his podcast this summer so it was a quick read.

TL;DR: humans are HORRIBLE at reading the motivations, thoughts, and feelings of those we don't know well, and this is one of the main reasons for problems in society.
Sílvia
Trophy Wife

Post by Sílvia »

Finished Don't You Forget About Me and loved it. Now reading It's Not Me, It's You by the same author and not loving it.
Blush
TH Master

Post by Blush »

"Less" was ok. I'm kinda surprised it won a prize.

Now I have "Those Other Women" by Nicola Moriarty.