November: what are you reading?

Moderator: Malanee

Blush
TH Master

November: what are you reading?

Post by Blush »

I finished Those Other Women by Nicola Moriarty and while I liked the concept, the execution was lacking.

Then I read The River by Peter Heller. This was a short book but it was emotionally wrenching so I had to keep putting it down.

Now I have The Last of The Stanfields by Marc Levy.
Spudd
TH Master

Re: November: what are you reading?

Post by Spudd »

I'm *almost* done the complete works of LM Montgomery. Well, maybe not her complete works, but all her books about Avonlea and Anne, at least. Hopefully I'll finish it in the next few days and get to start something new!
Sílvia
Trophy Wife

Post by Sílvia »

Finished It's not Me, it's You by Mhairi McFarlane. It was way too long and I got bored along the way. Don't You Forget About Me was much better.

Then I started Hope by Lesley Pearse. It seems filled with action. Blush, you've read some of her books, haven't you? Thoughts?
Blush
TH Master

Post by Blush »

My feeling about Lesley Pearse is that you will enjoy whichever two or three books you pick up first, and then they all seem the same. They have all blended together in my head.
Sílvia
Trophy Wife

Post by Sílvia »

Yeah, she seems pretty formulaic, but maybe a formula I'll enjoy. I haven't picked it up much actually, I've been more in the mood for TV.
Blush
TH Master

Post by Blush »

I gave up on the Marc Levy book. It felt "off" in the writing; it was translated from French and maybe that's the issue.

Now I have For Better And Worse by Margot Hunt.
Sílvia
Trophy Wife

Post by Sílvia »

Omg, the Lesley Pearse is so boring! Well, not so much boring as formulaic. Horrible things happen to main character, one after the other, but you know she's supposed to have a happy ending. I'm only still reading it because I missed the last day to return it to Amazon, and it wasn't cheap. But I think I'm ready to suck it up.

I read An Ideal Husband by Oscar Wilde yesterday because I needed something fun and brilliant and SHORT! I think I'm gonna read something else by him today. I bought his complete works on Kindle a while ago for 50 cents :awesome
Sílvia
Trophy Wife

Post by Sílvia »

Read Lady Windermere's fan also by Oscar Wilde, also great. Then I started The Life We Bury and I'm enjoying it. It's short and gripping. Decided not to give up on the Lesley Pearse. The writing is super uninspired and the plot is a huge soap opera, but I like the historical aspects and did I mention I already paid for the damn thing? :angrywife I'll keep reading a little bit every day day while reading something else, though.
Spudd
TH Master

Post by Spudd »

I finally finished L.M. Montgomery (would not recommend reading the complete Anne collection in one go). I liked it, but the charm started wearing off after like 3 books. I don't know why I felt compelled to keep going.

Now I'm reading "All Grown Up" by Jami Attenberg. It's OK so far.
Blush
TH Master

Post by Blush »

For Better and worse reminded me a bit of Gone Girl. It was good.

Now I have A Song For a New Day by Sarah Pinker, dystopian fiction.
Sílvia
Trophy Wife

Post by Sílvia »

Blush, I've had the sample of For Better and Worse on my kindle for some time. It looks good and it's cheap (like 2 US dollars). I'm glad you liked it!

I finished The Life We Bury yesterday. It was a very gripping read for me. Not life-changing, but a very nice read. I loved the main character and found out there's a sequel (The Shadows We Hide), set a few years after where the first book ended. I'm already reading the sample.

I also managed to get to a point in the Lesley Pearse where I actually care what's going to happen :lol It's still very bad, the most absurd things (for the 1800s) happen. People would never talk like that and act like that back then, but at least I can't complain there's no action.
Spudd
TH Master

Post by Spudd »

I finished "All Grown Up" (Jami Attenberg) and it was just OK. Wouldn't highly recommend it. It seemed to cover the same ground repeatedly.

Now I'm reading "All We Ever Wanted" by Emily Giffin. So far I'm really into it, but I haven't gotten super far yet.
Sílvia
Trophy Wife

Post by Sílvia »

Ooh, I loved All We Ever Wanted, Spudd!
Sílvia
Trophy Wife

Post by Sílvia »

I finished the Lesley Pearse! :yay It only took me 3 weeks. It was SUCH a soap opera! Now I don't really mind that so much (God knows I love me some Diane Chamberlain), but the writing was awful. It felt like it had been written by a child in some points.

I'm reading The Shadows We Hide, the sequel to The Life We Bury.
Sílvia
Trophy Wife

Post by Sílvia »

Finished The Shadows We Hide. I enjoyed it, too. Will definitely read more by the author.

Now I'm reading A Time To Kill by John Grisham. I think I saw the movie back in the 90s, but don't remember much. Anyway, I'm hooked already.
Blush
TH Master

Post by Blush »

I finished A Song for A New Day. I'd give it 3.5 stars but I rounded up on GoodReads.

Now I have The Testaments by Margaret Atwood! I have two weeks to finish it. It happens to be large print, which I don't mind a bit. :nerd
Spudd
TH Master

Post by Spudd »

Finished All We Ever Wanted a few days ago. I loved it, it was super gripping.

Now I'm reading Always and Forever, Lara Jean, which I'm also loving.
Sílvia
Trophy Wife

Post by Sílvia »

Yay, glad you enjoyed All We Ever Wanted, Spudd. I thought it was super gripping, too. And I love the fact that she researched before writing about a Brazilian character. She didn't write anything stupid!
So is Always and Forever the last book in that trilogy? I suppose you enjoyed the previous 2 books, then? I keep toying with the idea of trying them if only because they're so cheap in Portuguese on kindle!

Still reading A Time to Kill. Thoroughly enjoying it.
Spudd
TH Master

Post by Spudd »

Lol, I didn't realize Always and Forever was the third in a trilogy until I got to the end and in the endnotes the author was like "this is the last time I'll write about Lara Jean" and I was like doh!! It was still good even though I hadn't read the first two. But I wish I'd known.

Now I started Three Bags Full, a sheep detective novel. So far I love it, it's really charming.