Jan 2020, anyone?

Moderator: Malanee

Sílvia
Trophy Wife

Jan 2020, anyone?

Post by Sílvia »

I returned A Summer Affair to the store. It was kinda boring, then there was a page missing, so I gave it up . It was not worth contacting the store about that.

Then I started Fish in a Tree, a middle grade novel about a dyslexic girl in 6th grade. I like it so far. I love stories about awkward kids.
Blush
TH Master

Re: Jan 2020, anyone?

Post by Blush »

I just started Bellevue Square by Michael Redhill. So far it's weird.
Rowan
Stinky Ho Zat Changed Zeh Channel

Post by Rowan »

I've been in such a book rut all of December!

First book in Jan was Red, White and Royal Blue. It was good although a bit more open door than I prefer my romances.

Not sure what's next...
Blush
TH Master

Post by Blush »

I finished Bellevue Square. I'm still not really sure what happened. Definitely weird.

Now I have After Anna by Lisa Sottoline.
Spudd
TH Master

Post by Spudd »

I flirted with a couple of non-fiction books: The First 20 Hours which is about learning new skills, and Perfectly Imperfect which is about yoga. Neither really grabbed me so I abandoned both.

Now I'm reading a fiction book which so far seems entertaining: Emergency Contact by Mary H.K. Choi

I had to go look at my Kindle to get the answer to what I was reading, and Kenneth made fun of me for not knowing what I was reading. I feel like it's normal especially for fiction, I'll have a bunch of books on there, I kinda scan for a cover that looks good, and I start reading it. Once you're reading you never see the cover/title/author anymore, so I often don't remember the title/author. What do you guys think?
Blush
TH Master

Post by Blush »

I would have to look at the cover to know the name and author, unless it was something that's trending, like when I read The Testaments by Margaret Atwood.

I gave up on that fiction book; the writing seemed really cheesy even though the plot was promising. I will probably start Gwyneth Paltrow is Wrong About Everything by Timothy Caulfield. I've been meaning to read it for a while and with her new series on Netflix (barf) I remembered it.
Sílvia
Trophy Wife

Post by Sílvia »

Spudd, yeah, if it's not super memorable I might not immediately remember what I'm reading. And let's face it, most books are not super memorable.

I finished Fish in a Tree. It was more childish than I expected, but cute. Ugh, I forgot to tell Leo to read it yesterday when he finished what he was reading. I hope he hasn't started anything yet.

Then I read a Brazilian memoir by the son a famous singer who died when said son was 11. It's basically his memories of her. Very poignant. She's a huge legend here, so it was interesting.

Now I'm reading Pretending to Dance by Diane Chamberlain. So far it's slower than others I've read by her, but I'll stick to it. I've already abandoned 2 books at 25% so far this year. Ugh. The last one was Hidden Bodies, the sequel to You. I loved the first book, but was not loving the second. I'm watching season 2 of the show, though.
Blush
TH Master

Post by Blush »

I finished "Is Gwyneth Paltrow Wrong About Everything?" (spoiler, YES). It was about what I expected; I follow the author on Twitter and he's got a great series on Netflix.

Next up is a suspense novel called I'll Never Tell by Catherine McKenzie.
Sílvia
Trophy Wife

Post by Sílvia »

Finished Pretending to Dance. It was ok. I didn't dread picking it up, but I was also not dying to finish it. The very definition of "ok".

Then I started this: https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/296 ... 98h&rank=1. Not my usual thing, though I do enjoy me some time travel. It was recommended on a Facebook group and I was intrigued. So far I like it. It's light and funny and there's time travel!
Blush
TH Master

Post by Blush »

I finished I'll Never Tell and it was pretty good. Then I read Her Husband's Mistake by Sheila O'Flanagan. The premise was good, the dialogue was well-written, but it was heavy handed. Yep, I get that the husband's an old fashioned thinking dickhead, thank you. Got it. (50 pages later) Yep, that's still what he is. I also wanted to sit the wife down for a chat about self respect. Jeebus.

Now I have "Honestly, We Meant Well" by Grant Ginder.
Last edited by Blush on Tue Feb 04, 2020 8:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
Spudd
TH Master

Post by Spudd »

Just finished "Behind Closed Doors" by B. A. Paris. I loved it, one night I was reading it before bed and then had trouble getting to sleep because it was so gripping and I was just lying there thinking about it. Would recommend, but maybe not right before bed. Hah.

Now I'm reading Catch-22 which I started when I visited London for my mom a couple of weeks ago. I had forgotten my Kindle so I just grabbed one of my dad's paper books, and I got into it enough that I decided to bring it home with me and keep reading it.
Sílvia
Trophy Wife

Post by Sílvia »

OMG, the time travel book was utter crap. And I love it that I can come here and say that. I'd feel too exposed saying that on goodreads. All it had was a good premise, which was probably a rip-off of Connie Willis's much better To Say Nothing of the Dog, which I have now started. I'm only on page 63 or so, but it's SO much better. It's the second in a series of 4, I think. I read the first one (Doomsday Book) 15 years ago or so, and it was excellent. But while Doomsday is a very sad drama, To Say Nothing is pure comedy.

Apparently I'll also have to read The Selection by Kiera Cass because that's what my 14-year-old student chose. Spudd, haven't you read that? I hope it's passable :? But I only have to read a chapter a week, so I'll live.
Spudd
TH Master

Post by Spudd »

I'm pretty sure I did read that. I think it was ok, not great.
Sílvia
Trophy Wife

Post by Sílvia »

I checked, you gave it 3 stars. I started it yesterday, it was ok.