February!

Moderator: Malanee

Blush
TH Master

February!

Post by Blush »

I finished the Grant Ginder book last night (Honestly We Meant Well). It could have been a bit shorter but the plot, dialogue, and descriptions were good.

Now I have a suspense novel by Simon Kernick called We Can See You.
Sílvia
Trophy Wife

Re: February!

Post by Sílvia »

I gave up on To Say Nothing of the Dog. If you haven't seen what I wrote on goodreads, I thought it was funny and well-written, but overly long. It would have worked as a novella.

I think I have abandoned more books than I've finished this year :angrywife I blame my lack of patience in my old age. When I was younger I was able to slog through hundreds of boring pages before getting to a juicier part of a book, but these days? Not so much.

Now I'm reading For Better And Worse by.... Margot Hunt? I think that's it. It had been on my radar for a while. I like it so far.
Just finished "Behind Closed Doors" by B. A. Paris. I loved it, one night I was reading it before bed and then had trouble getting to sleep because it was so gripping and I was just lying there thinking about it. Would recommend, but maybe not right before bed. Hah.
Spudd, now you made me curious. I read another book by this author nd thought it was incredibly stupid, but I do trust your judgement! I think we tend to agree more often than not.
Blush
TH Master

Post by Blush »

I finished We Can See You. It was ok.

Next up is The Nobodies by Liza Palmer. It's about a struggling freelance journalist who takes a full-time job as a copywriter at a tech startup and she finds a story. 50 pages in and so far it's really good.
Last edited by Blush on Sat Feb 15, 2020 8:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
Sílvia
Trophy Wife

Post by Sílvia »

Finished For Better and Worse. Loved it! It was fast-paced and believable! Which is my main problem with thrillers these days. Most of them are so ridiculously far-fetched. But this? I could totally see it happening.

Then I started Behind Close Doors after Spudd's glorious review. If I like it, the author will have you to thank, Spudd. I'd never have picked up anything else by her after The Breakdown.
Blush
TH Master

Post by Blush »

I finished The Nobodies. It was really good! It read like a YA novel (lots of feelings, introspection, funny awkward interaction between characters) but the protagonist was 36.

Now I have The Farm by Joanne Ramos.
Spudd
TH Master

Post by Spudd »

So much pressure! I hope you like it!
Blush
TH Master

Post by Blush »

I finished The Farm. It was really intriguing.

Next up is This Little Light by Lori Lansens.
Sílvia
Trophy Wife

Post by Sílvia »

Lori Lansens has a new book out?

Finished Behind Closed Doors. I don't know if you saw on goodreads, but I did like it, Spudd! Here's what I wrote on GR:

3.5 maybe?
Cons:
1) highly implausible, you should suspend disbelief pretty much from page one.
2) I wish I'd been warned about some of the horribleness. I won't go into specifics.
Pros:
1) VERY gripping.
2) The most satisfying ending I've read in a long time.

Then I started The Nanny by Gilly MacMillan. I've read 2 of her other books. LOVED one of them (What She Knew) and found the other kinda boring (The Perfect Girl). I have high hopes for this one, it sounds up my alley and so far has a Rebecca feel to it.
Spudd
TH Master

Post by Spudd »

Yay, I'm glad you liked it! I also found it highly improbable, but I was okay with it anyways. So gripping!

I finished Catch-22 and thought it was just OK. I get why it's a classic but I didn't love it by any means.

Now I'm reading some generic chick lit that I can't remember the name of. The woman's husband wants to take a break from their marriage. Maybe it's actually called The Break? So far it's pretty good.
Sílvia
Trophy Wife

Post by Sílvia »

Marian Keyes's The Break? I loved it!
Spudd
TH Master

Post by Spudd »

Yes! That's it!
Blush
TH Master

Post by Blush »

I enjoyed The Break!

I finished the Lori Lansens book--best book I've read so far this year. 5 stars. Gripping, plausible, well-written.

Now I have "What Alice Knew" by T.A. Cotterell. It's a suspense novel.
Blush
TH Master

Post by Blush »

I finished What Alice Knew. It was pretty good.

Now I have The Gown by Jennifer Robson.
Sílvia
Trophy Wife

Post by Sílvia »

Funny, the Brazilian Amazon says the Lori Lansens book hasn't been realeased yet, but the US one has it already, even on kindle. BR Amazon usually has everything the US one has. Weird. I'll wait and see, but I can always buy from the US one.

Finished The Nanny. Loved it! It was not super mysterious, but it had a dark, suspenseful atmosphere, a creepy nanny, a manor house in England... all good!

Now I started Still Life by Louise Penny, the first in the Inspector Gamache series. This is a much beloved series, with little gore (none so far, actually), more focused on the lives of the people from the small town. I hope I like it. The consensus seems to be that this first book is the weakest, the others are much better. Some people describe them as "cozy mysteries", more Agatha Christie than Karin Slaughter.