April books

Moderator: Malanee

Blush
TH Master

April books

Post by Blush »

I finally finished The Holdout. It was a pretty good distraction once I could make myself read, but man, that's hard these days. I'm four books behind schedule!

Next up is The Authenticity Project by Clare Pooley.
Spudd
TH Master

Re: April books

Post by Spudd »

I ended up not starting Little Fires Everywhere, because the Doomsday Book came in for me at the library (ebook) so I started reading that instead. So far it's good.
Sílvia
Trophy Wife

Post by Sílvia »

Spudd, I hope you like Doomsday Book. I finished it last night. Yeah, I gotta agree with the critics that the part set in 2054 is annoying, but the part set in the middle ages is great. I see now why I only gave it 4 stars when I first read it, even though I really enjoyed most of it. The 2054 sections could have used a ton of editing.

I'm at 15% of The World According to Garp, which I'd started before Doomsday Book. When I pick it up I like it, but when I don't pick it up, I don't miss it. In other words, so far I'm finding it good but not terribly gripping, and I need something more gripping right now. Maybe I'll try one Rowan suggested (Life as we Knew it? I think that's it).
Spudd
TH Master

Post by Spudd »

I'm really enjoying it so far. I'm frustrated in the 2054 parts, but I think I'm supposed to be due to what's happening. I think I'm like 2/3 of the way through now.
Blush
TH Master

Post by Blush »

I finished The Authenticity Project. I loved it; it was just what I needed.

Next is The Family Next Door by Sally Hepworth.
Sílvia
Trophy Wife

Post by Sílvia »

Let me know how you like the rest, Spudd. I'm glad you're enjoying it so far.

I loved that book, Blush. Though in all honesty I don't remember much :?

I finished Life As We Knew It, which Rowan recommended. Loved it. It's YA, but only because it's narrated by a 16-year-old. It's a story of survival in the middle of world destruction. It's a series and I started the sample of book 2 last night, but I'm a bit frustrated that it doesn't continue the story of the same family. At least not so far. I hope they show up later.
Rowan
Stinky Ho Zat Changed Zeh Channel

Post by Rowan »

I've had some pretty good luck with books lately. I just finished The Nightingale by Kristin Hannah which has been out forever. Not sure why I didn't pick it up before but it was amazing. It's a fairly big book but read it in 2 sittings. 5 stars from me!
Spudd
TH Master

Post by Spudd »

There's a 15-week wait on The Nightingale from my library! It might be older but still popular. I put it on hold.

I finished Doomsday Book last night and it was great, I loved it. I'm now trying to decide whether to read Little Fires Everywhere next or the 2nd book in the Oxford Time Travel series (of which Doomsday Book is #1).
Sílvia
Trophy Wife

Post by Sílvia »

I decided to skip the second book in that series and read the third, which picks up where the first one left off. It was still very gripping, but not as powerful as the first one. I started reading the 4th and last one, but it didn't grip me, plus these books are kind of expensive for such short books, so I will pass. Have you read the last one, Rowan?

The Nightingale was pretty good, I read it as soon as it came out, several years ago. The only thing I didn't like about it was that there was an insta love story, if I remember correctly? Yeah, that didn't work for me. Everything else did, though.

Yay, so glad you enjoyed Doomsday Book, Spudd! I'm glad I reread it, there was so much I didn't remember. I tried to read To Say Nothing of the Dog earlier this year, but couldn't get into it. I thought it was a good idea, but for a novella, not a 500-page novel. The jokes got old quickly for me. But they might work for you, obviously. I quite enjoyed Little Fires Everywhere, but I don't remember much. I thought it was much more compelling than her first book.

So can you guys tell me the titles of some books you couldn't put down? Any genre except fantasy. I'm at that point where I've started 57 different kindle samples and can't commit to anything that hasn't grabbed me by page 3.
Spudd
TH Master

Post by Spudd »

I think you've already read most of the ones that are jumping to mind: That one I recommended recently and I know you read it right afterwards, The Pillars of the Earth, the Hunger Games, The Martian.

The Road was a pretty good page-turner as well, have you read that? Also, Ready Player One. That's all I can think of at the moment.

I ended up deciding to read To Say Nothing of the Dog. It's weird so far, but hopefully it will get better.
Anna
TH Master

Post by Anna »

I listened to @Catch and Kill by Ronan Farrow about Harvey Weinstein et al

Now I’m listening to Running Against The Devil, A plot to save America from Trump and Democrats from themselves by my Rick Wilson.
Sílvia
Trophy Wife

Post by Sílvia »

That one I recommended recently and I know you read it right afterwards,
Which one was that?

I've been thinking about rereading Pillars. I read it 10 years ago. Leo started Hunger Games a couple of days ago. So it's fun for adults too? The Martian and The Road I've tried, but couldn't get into, but it could have been a moment like now, when I read 3 pages and decided they weren't for me. I might check them out again. Thanks.

Anyway, I decided to continue The Shining. I bought it in 2017, read 10% and found it super boring, then read another 20% last year, decided to maybe just read it on odd-numbered years, but picked it up again now, if only because I paid for it and because it's SUCH a classic and I wanna know what's so different from the movie that made Stephen King dislike the movie. So far I don't see much difference.
Spudd
TH Master

Post by Spudd »

The one where the wife has the sister with Down's and things happen? LOL. I'm sure you remember.

And yeah, I enjoyed the Hunger Games a lot. It's an easy read, obviously, but entertaining.
Sílvia
Trophy Wife

Post by Sílvia »

Ah, ok. Behind Closed Doors, maybe?

I might have a look at the first Hunger Games when Leo's done. Thanks.
Blush
TH Master

Post by Blush »

I finished The Family Next Door by Sally Hepworth. It was good and the author reminded me a bit of Liane Moriarty.

I don't know what I will read next. I'm so far behind on my book challenge.
Blush
TH Master

Post by Blush »

I decided on Where the Heart Is, and see that Sílvia only gave it one star. I have a feeling I'm going to find it too cheesy, but that if I had read it closer yo the publication date (1995) I bet I would have loved it.
Sílvia
Trophy Wife

Post by Sílvia »

It was good and the author reminded me a bit of Liane Moriarty.
Right? :D She's not as good, but similar style!

Yeah, I do remember finding that book super cheesy, even if I don't remember anything about it. What else is new?
Rowan
Stinky Ho Zat Changed Zeh Channel

Post by Rowan »

Sil-

If you liked Nightingale, have you tried The Great Alone by the same author. I really liked that as well!
Sílvia
Trophy Wife

Post by Sílvia »

Ro, I haven't read that one, but I know people love it. I might give it a try, thanks.

So I did end up enjoying The Shining after all. Huh. Who would have guessed? This was my THIRD attempt. I found the beginning super boring, maybe because I've seen the movie twice. But it does pick up after 40-45%. AND it's very different from the movie, which probably explains why Mr. King didn't like the movie. Anyway, I was completely absorbed towards the end.