July!

Moderator: Malanee

Sílvia
Trophy Wife

July!

Post by Sílvia »

I'm proud to report I'm on page 635 of Pillars of the Earth. It's still only 59% of the whole thing, though. Now I'm finally at a point where I'm enjoying it more. I might actually stop picking up other stuff to read at the same time.

Speaking of which, I'm also reading Coraline by Neil Gaiman. His genre is not usually my thing, but this is super short and I thought it might be good to read with Leo, so I started it. Turns out the vocabulary is too advanced for him, but I liked it and am almost done with it. It's surprisingly gripping for a children's book.
Blush
TH Master

Re: July!

Post by Blush »

I finished The Bride Test by Helen Hoang. It was a cute romance.

Now I have The Cactus by Sara Haywood.
Sílvia
Trophy Wife

Post by Sílvia »

I finished Pillars!!!!!! :yay :yay I'm glad I finally finished, but I'm still baffled at how little I enjoyed this reread. The second half was better than the first, but I still thought it was too full of intrigue and violence. Have my tastes changed that much in only ten years? Huh. How weird.

I'm reading In Five Years by Rebecca somebody. I actually started it 4 or 5 days ago, but then stopped because I REALLY wanted to be done with Pillars. But the beginning was promising.
Blush
TH Master

Post by Blush »

I finished The Cactus. It was pretty good.
Then I read Everything Trump Touches Dies by Rick Wilson. It was a quick read because I knew most of what was in there (although he kind of claims the alt-right died in 2018...um, no).

Now I have Normal People by Sally Rooney.
Spudd
TH Master

Post by Spudd »

I don't think I reported in that I finished All Clear, the final (?) book in the Connie Willis time traveling series. It was good! I liked it a lot.

Now I'm reading "Whole" which is a book about health and eating whole foods. (non-fiction)
Blush
TH Master

Post by Blush »

I finished Normal People. It was great but the end was a bit unsatisfying.

Now I have Followers by Megan Angelo.
Sílvia
Trophy Wife

Post by Sílvia »

Glad you liked Connie Willis, Spudd. I might give the rest of the series a try some day.

I finished In Five Years. I liked the premise, but it went in a direction I hadn't foreseen and don't usually like. But it was gripping and I liked the ending. I was expecting some ridiculousness that didn't happen, thankfully.

Now I'm reading Letters from Skye. It's much better than I expected from a war romance.
Rowan
Stinky Ho Zat Changed Zeh Channel

Post by Rowan »

Wow! Halfway through the month and I haven't even checked in.

Syl, I read In Five Years recently and liked it. I was also WTH at some points but in a good way.

Darling Rose Gold was good - disturbing but good.

I'm beta reading a book for an author right now. I think I mentioned in the other board - I'm beyond the moon thrilled. It is taking longer than just reading it though.

I have a nice stack waiting for me once I'm done the beta read:

Title Author
A good marriage : a novel / McCreight, Kimberly,
Hi Five Joe Ide
My dark Vanessa : a novel / Russell, Kate Elizabeth,
The ballad of songbirds and snakes / Collins, Suzanne,
The boy from the woods / Coben, Harlan, 1962-
The girl from widow hills : a novel / Miranda, Megan,
The hunting party : a novel / Foley, Lucy
The vanishing half / Bennett, Brit,
Blush
TH Master

Post by Blush »

I finished Followers. It was frightening in that Handmaid's Tale *this could actually happen* way.

Now I have The Overdue Life of Amy Byler by Kelly Harms.
Last edited by Blush on Tue Jul 21, 2020 9:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sílvia
Trophy Wife

Post by Sílvia »

Ro, some of yours have been on my radar.

Finished Letter from Skye. I quite enjoyed it.

Then I finished The Selection with my student. Soooo bad.... I'm glad she doesn't want to read the whole series.

Then I read The Love Letter by Lucinda Riley, which also kinda sucked. I mean, I was able to finish it, but her writing is terrible, I don't know how she can be so successful. I liked ONE of her books. Another one was so-so. Intensely disliked the next 3. Her dialogs are laughable, her characters have absolutely no personality and fall in love in half a page.

Not sure what's next.
Rowan
Stinky Ho Zat Changed Zeh Channel

Post by Rowan »

Lazy update...LOL

A good marriage : a novel / McCreight, Kimberly, reading now!

The boy from the woods / Coben, Harlan, 1962- finished; decent but not amazing

The girl from widow hills : a novel / Miranda, Megan, next
Blush
TH Master

Post by Blush »

I finished The Overdue Life of Amy Byler. I really enjoyed it. It might have seemed too fluffy six months ago but I need fluff right now.

I'm going to start Adults by Emma Jane Unsworth.
Spudd
TH Master

Post by Spudd »

I finished Whole, by Colin Campbell. It sucked. I don't know why I finished it. The whole book was basically him whining about how the scientific community doesn't take him seriously.

Now I'm reading "Little Fires Everywhere" by Celeste Ng. It's really good so far.
Sílvia
Trophy Wife

Post by Sílvia »

I'm watching the Little Fires series, Spudd! I read the book a couple of years ago. They're both good, but there are lots of differences in the series.

I read The Other People. It was very gripping and entertaining, in that far-fetched way of all mysteries these days. I'll probably chek out her other books.

Now I'm rereading The Forgotten Garden by Kate Morton. It was the first I read by her, and I loved it. Not sure I'll finish it, I always feel like I'm wasting precious reading time when I reread. But then again, I don't remember ANYTHING.