November already

Moderator: Malanee

Blush
TH Master

November already

Post by Blush »

I just finished The New Husband. It was meh, but I finished it.

Next: Would Like to Meet by Rachel Winters. It's supposed to be a rom com novel.
Korie
Mmm... posting

Re: November already

Post by Korie »

I've heard good things about White Ivy. Maybe I'll start that. :)
Blush
TH Master

Post by Blush »

I finished Would Like to Meet. It was cute.

Next up: Once You Go This Far by Kristen Lepionka. Apparently it's 4th in a series. I hope it's ok as a stand alone.
Rowan
Stinky Ho Zat Changed Zeh Channel

Post by Rowan »

This weekend I read Friends and Strangers by J. Courtney Sullivan and really liked it. I just finished Transcendent Kingdom by Yaa Gyasi which I also liked. Part of it takes place in a lab and I can't help but be a little eye rolley in parts but it was good.

Not sure what's next on my pile. I think I'll try We Ride Upon Sticks by Quan Barry. It takes place in the 80s in Danvers, MA (fka Salem Village) and is about a field hockey team that conjures up magic and starts winning.
Spudd
TH Master

Post by Spudd »

I finished "Educated" by Tara Westover. It was really quite gripping, I would recommend it. It's a non-fiction memoir.

Then I started "The Farm" by Joanne Ramos. It irritated me nearly right away, because a character went to the hospital (this isn't really a spoiler, it's on like page 5 or something) and the doctor said "Your EKG didn't look great so we're going to do an echocardiogram". I was like, hmm, I thought an EKG was an echocardiogram, so I looked it up, and yup, it is. WTF. I'm still going to give it a chance but it needs to pull up its socks.
Sílvia
Trophy Wife

Post by Sílvia »

I read Grown Ups by Marian Keyes. I liked it. The first half was a bit slow for my taste, but the second half was delicious.

I'm also reading The Institute by Stephen King. I'm at 44%, I think. I think I've developed a system for his longer books: read something else at the same time to help me get over the slowness of the middle. I usually like his stories, but feel they drag and drag in parts. Nobody edits what that man writes anymore.
Blush
TH Master

Post by Blush »

I finished Once you go this far. It was fine but not life changing.

Now I have Red Pill by Hari Kunzru. The premise is intriguing but the first bit is very wordy. Navel gazing-esque. We'll see.
Rowan
Stinky Ho Zat Changed Zeh Channel

Post by Rowan »

I abandoned We Ride Upon Sticks about 30 pages in. I just didn't care...

I picked up another Joe Ide (Wrecked) - I've really liked his books that he's written.

I started The Mothers by Brit Bennett. There's great ratings on this so I'm hoping it'll be good.

I picked up a bunch of books on hold just in case we close. I have a good stack of about 12. And another 30 that I own. I think I'm good for a bit!
Blush
TH Master

Post by Blush »

I finished Red Pill. Meh.

Now I have a novel called The Disaster Tourist by Yun Ko-Eun. It's translated from Korean, and it's about a woman who works for a travel agency specializing in tourism to places devastated by disaster.

Just finished the above. It was a good premise but it didn't evoke any emotional reaction from me.

Next up: The Herd by Andrea Bartz.
Blush
TH Master

Post by Blush »

I finished The Herd. 2.5 stars but rounded up to 3.

Next: The Ghost in the House by Sara O'Leary.

I have read 55 books so far. My original goal was 70 but I may edit it down. I really couldn't concentrate for the first 8 weeks of the pandemic.

Edit: finished The Ghost in the House. It was just 190 pages, but really good.

Next: Attack Surface by Cory Doctorow.