April! (the month not the person)

Moderator: Malanee

Blush
TH Master

Re: April! (the month not the person)

Post by Blush »

The Ratline was interesting and depressing.

Then I read Wow, No Thank You (essays) by Samantha Irby. It was kind of cute.

Now I have The Lost Apothecary by Sarah Penner. So far it's only annoyed me once, something her editor should have caught: there's no way a British person would use the term "sneakers".
Rowan
Stinky Ho Zat Changed Zeh Channel

Post by Rowan »

Trainers right Blush?

A bunch of reading lately...

28 Summers by Elin Hilderbrand - I don't usually go for her books regularly but i had heard great things. It was good - I cried. Fluff but I think I needed it.

Mother May I by Joshilyn Jackson - this was good. A solid 4 star until the end where I had to drop to 3.5.

The Good Sister by Sally Hepworth - another 4 star.

I haven't started anything new since I finished Mother May I on Saturday.
Blush
TH Master

Post by Blush »

Yes, trainers! (I call them runners).
Bugsy
Noodles and Corn

Post by Bugsy »

I grew up calling them "tennies," like a shortened play on "tennis shoes," but as an adult it now seems like that is a pretty uncommon term.

"The Giver of Stars" was pretty quality, and I gave it 4 stars. The existence of the packhorse library system was brand new information to me! What a cool project; yay, Roosevelts and progressive thinking!

Am now reading "Strangers in Their Own Land: Anger and Mourning on the American Right," by Arlie Russell Hochschild. I am trying to wrap my brain and heart around the more conservative line of thinking, and so far that seems to be a main objective of this book too. She is a social worker and talks a lot about approaching this with a metaphor of an "empathy wall," which I like. Actually, as I type this it occurs to me that this one reminds me a bit of "The Politics of Resentment: Rural Consciousness in Wisconsin and the Rise of Scott Walker," by Katherine J. Cramer. That was also a really good read.
Korie
Mmm... posting

Re: April!

Post by Korie »

Blush wrote: Fri Apr 09, 2021 12:56 pm I finished Ready Player Two. It was bad.

Now: a nonfiction called Unfuckolgy by Amy Alkon. I have no idea why I ordered it; I usually roll my eyes at self-help books. But I will give it a fair shot.
I started Ready Player Two awhile ago, trying to get into it. So far, it's just sad lol.
Blush
TH Master

Re: April!

Post by Blush »

Korie wrote: Tue Apr 27, 2021 12:24 pm
Blush wrote: Fri Apr 09, 2021 12:56 pm I finished Ready Player Two. It was bad.

Now: a nonfiction called Unfuckolgy by Amy Alkon. I have no idea why I ordered it; I usually roll my eyes at self-help books. But I will give it a fair shot.
I started Ready Player Two awhile ago, trying to get into it. So far, it's just sad lol.
Right? It's like the author was just writing to fulfill the contract/book deal, not because there was a story to tell.
Sílvia
Trophy Wife

Post by Sílvia »

Ro, I loved 28 summers! Have you seen the movie it was inspired by? (Same time, next year)? It's cute. There's a short sequel coming out in June. I also read The Good Sister and mentioned it upthread.

I'm reading another Kristan Higgins... whose title I forget... Always the Last to Know. I'm enjoying it. Her books are just the right amount of fluff for my taste.