Stinky Ho Zat Changed Zeh Channel

August!

Post by Rowan »

What are you reading?

I got some reading in on my week off.

Dear Edward - this was wonderful, I'm surprised I didn't pick it up earlier
The Matchmaker - good Elin Hildebrand fluff
The Guncle - I really liked this one. Light/funny

I'm reading The Stranger Inside by Lisa Unger now which I'm liking. I loved Confessions on the 7:45 so I'm going through his backlist.
Blush
TH Master

Re: August!

Post by Blush »

I loved Dear Edward.

I'm currently reading The Push by Ashley Audrain.
Bugsy
Noodles and Corn

Post by Bugsy »

I finished "Native Son," by Richard Wright. It was a tough, emotional read but so very good--a true classic. 5 stars.

Not sure what will be next. I need to devote some reading time to finalizing our upcoming vacation, so I might just pause for a bit.
Bugsy
Noodles and Corn

Post by Bugsy »

Heh, that pause didn't last very long. Last night I finished "Dead, Dying, or Nearly There," by...my cousin Wesley Wingert! He's a high school English teacher, and this is his first novel. There were definitely some editing misses, and he consistently used "alright" throughout the book which irked me. Google seems to say it's an acceptable alternative spelling, but I am not a fan of that. But anyway, it's a clever story, and I'm really proud of him!
Spudd
TH Master

Post by Spudd »

I finished "Exercised", a non-fiction about exercise. It was pretty interesting.

Then I started "The Windup Girl" by Paolo Bacigalupi. It's set in Bangkok in the future (science fiction). I'm honestly not a huge fan, it's a little too "literary" for my liking if you know what I mean. You really have to focus. But I'm intrigued enough by the story to continue.
Blush
TH Master

Post by Blush »

I have read The Push, Pretty Little Wife by Darby Kane, and Every Last Fear by Alex Finlay. All three stars.

Now I have How to Save a Life by Eva Carter.
Bugsy
Noodles and Corn

Post by Bugsy »

On Saturday morning I started "Run Away," by Harlan Coben, which is the next book club selection. I read a ton yesterday and finished it just before bed. Super good book and not something I would have chosen on my own, which is why I appreciate book clubs!

Looks like "The American Story," by David M. Rubenstein became available for me overnight, so that's next!
Sílvia
Trophy Wife

Post by Sílvia »

Can I play with you guys again? I'm friends with most of you on goodreads, but I've missed being here!
On Saturday morning I started "Run Away," by Harlan Coben, which is the next book club selection. I read a ton yesterday and finished it just before bed. Super good book and not something I would have chosen on my own, which is why I appreciate book clubs!
Oh, isn't it great when a book is so gripping you don't wanna do anything else? I read the synopsis of that one after reading your post and it seems too violent. Is it?

I'm reading a Kristan Higgins... wait... Life and Other Inconveniences? I think that's the one. I'm enjoying it.
Bugsy
Noodles and Corn

Post by Bugsy »

Hmm, I don't think it was too violent. I think most of it was sort of implied, rather than overt, violence.
Sílvia
Trophy Wife

Post by Sílvia »

Ah, good to know. Thanks. I'll keep it on my radar.
Sílvia
Trophy Wife

Post by Sílvia »

Finished Life and Other Inconveniences. LOVED it. I love Kristan Higgins. Apparently she used to write pure chick lit, but her latest books have been more "serious". Still pretty light, but there are issues that probably didn't make an appearance in her earlier novels (like suicide). I'm sad that I've read all of those already. Except Pack Up the Moon, but that one's about a woman's disease and death, and I really hate sick lit. I mean, it's ok if there's a whole story and one of the characters gets sick at some point, but I hate it when a whole book revolves around someone's disease. Holy misery.

Then I started Golden Girl, the latest Elin Hilderbrand. She's very hit-and-miss for me, but this one I'm enjoying so far.
Rowan
Stinky Ho Zat Changed Zeh Channel

Post by Rowan »

Love to have you back Sil!

Sept reads on next thread....