November!

Moderator: Malanee

Rowan
Stinky Ho Zat Changed Zeh Channel

November!

Post by Rowan »

:wave

I started The Final Girl Support Group by Grady Hendrix yesterday. I'm about halfway done and really liking it.

I finished the egalley of Jodi Picoult's Wish You Were Here this weekend. It releases at the end of November. I liked it but it's got some heavy Covid themes in it so would offer trigger warnings for anyone that has lost someone. I skimmed over those parts as it was really close to home to me.
Blush
TH Master

Re: November!

Post by Blush »

I finished The Wedding Date on the weekend. It was cute but a little clunky.

Now I have American Dirt. I know it's shrouded in controversy but the story is compelling.
Sílvia
Trophy Wife

Post by Sílvia »

Blush, I read that Mexicans were pissed about that book, right? But the story does sound compelling!

I'm reading an old Kristan Higgins, My One and Only (I think). It's ok, but not as good as her more recent books. At least not yet.
Bugsy
Noodles and Corn

Post by Bugsy »

Finished "Homegoing," and it was great. Like so many books IMO, the ending felt a little rushed and maybe incomplete, but as a whole it was very well-written and compelling. 4 stars, would recommend.
Blush
TH Master

Post by Blush »

I finished American Dirt. The characters were great; I don't know enough to comment on the accuracy of the logistics of the migrant experience. 4 stars.

Now I have something fluffier: 28 Summers by Elin Hilderbrand.
Spudd
TH Master

Post by Spudd »

I finished The Ultimate Age-Defying Plan by Mark Reinfeld. It had a few interesting nuggets of info, nothing earthshattering.

Now onto One Plus One by Jojo Moyes.
Rowan
Stinky Ho Zat Changed Zeh Channel

Post by Rowan »

I really liked 28 Summers Blush. I don't love all Elin's books but this one was good!

Still on The Final Girl Support Group. I've also started Yolk on my phone as an egalley.
Sílvia
Trophy Wife

Post by Sílvia »

I loved 28 summers! I'm with you, Rowan, EH is VERY hit-and-miss for me, but that one was great!

I also loved One Plus One, Spudd.

Still reading the Kristan Higgins. Feeling a little orphaned by the end of season 3 of You and I found out there's a third book?? How come I didn't know that?? I mean, I couldn't get into the second one (loved the first), but I'll definitely at least check this one out.
Bugsy
Noodles and Corn

Post by Bugsy »

Just started "Parable of the Talents," by Octavia Butler.
Blush
TH Master

Post by Blush »

On the weekend I quickly read Yearbook by Seth Rogen. I've always been slightly annoyed by him but this bookmade me laugh out loud in a few places.

Still going with 28 Summers.
Blush
TH Master

Post by Blush »

I finished 28 Summers. Loved it.

Now I have Perfect by Cecelia Ahern (it's the 2nd in a YA series, the first one is Flawed, which I loved).
Sílvia
Trophy Wife

Post by Sílvia »

Glad you loved 28 summers, Blush!

Finished the Kristan Higgins, it was just ok.

Then I read You Love Me (You - book 3) and quite enjoyed it. It was as implausible as ever, but fun.

Now I might read American Dirt. Have read the first 5 pages or so.
Bugsy
Noodles and Corn

Post by Bugsy »

Oh my gosh, Octavia Butler is such an impressive author. "Parable of the Talents" was SO GOOD. It is remarkable that it was written in 1998. There is even a Presidential candidate whose main slogan is "Make America Great Again." :paranoid I think I need to read everything she wrote, because this was my third novel of hers, and I've loved them all.
Spudd
TH Master

Post by Spudd »

I finished "One Plus One" by Jojo Moyes. Overall I enjoyed it. I had a hard time getting into it at the beginning and there were a lot of cringe moments for me, but I liked the ending, so that made up for it.

Now I'm reading "Purity" by Jonathan Franzen. So far so good, but I just started it last night and haven't gotten very far at all.
Sílvia
Trophy Wife

Post by Sílvia »

Spudd, did you finish Good Luck with That?

I'm at 27% of American Dirt, but I'm not feeling it. I'll give it a few more pages.
Spudd
TH Master

Post by Spudd »

Sílvia wrote: Thu Nov 18, 2021 12:23 pm Spudd, did you finish Good Luck with That?

I'm at 27% of American Dirt, but I'm not feeling it. I'll give it a few more pages.
Oh, yeah, a long time ago. I can't even remember what it was now! But I think I liked it.
Sílvia
Trophy Wife

Post by Sílvia »

Well, I'm glad you think you liked it :lol
Sílvia
Trophy Wife

Post by Sílvia »

Gave up on American Dirt. Up to the point I read (30%), I found it predictable and kind of boring. Plus I was annoyed that the 8-year-old kid sounded like a 50-year-old.

Then I read Every Last Secret by A. R. Torre, which was lots of fun.

Now I'm reading Why Haven't They Grown by Sophie Hannah.
Spudd
TH Master

Post by Spudd »

I abandoned Purity by Jonathan Franzen. It was too rambling and I couldn't get into it.

I'm now reading Good Neighbors by Sarah Langen (sp?). So far it's good, but I've only read it for like 15 minutes so far.
Blush
TH Master

Post by Blush »

I finished Perfect. It was ok, not great.

Then I read Nightmare Scenario: Inside the Trump Administration's Response to the Pandemic that Changed History by Yasmeen Abutaleb and Damian Paletta. Oof.

Now I have The Christmas Party by Karen Swain.