June!

Moderator: Malanee

Rowan
Stinky Ho Zat Changed Zeh Channel

June!

Post by Rowan »

I read Tomorrow and Tomorrow and Tomorrow by Gabrielle Zevin as an ARC this weekend. It was such a great story about friendship. My first 5 star since 2020.

I also read True Biz which is about a deaf school. I learned a ton about ASL and the deaf community which I literally knew nothing about.

I highly recommend both of these!! :wave
Blush
TH Master

Re: June!

Post by Blush »

I'm going to add both of those to my list, Rowan!

I finished Apples Never Fall by Liane Moriarty. Family drama, very good.

Now I have A French Wedding by Hannah Tunnicliffe.
Sílvia
Trophy Wife

Post by Sílvia »

I'd heard about Tomorrow and tomorrow and tomorrow, it does sound good!

Glad you enjoyed Apples Never Fall, Blush. I love Liane, but that's gotta be my least favorite of all her books. I found it SO slow.

I finished Close to Home by Cara Hunter. It was entertaining enough. I'll probably read the second one in the series.

Now I'm reading Stephen King's Misery.
Spudd
TH Master

Post by Spudd »

I finished Rogue Lawyer by John Grisham. It was pretty crappy. Though I did sort of like the ending.

Now I'm reading "Where the Heart Is" by Billie Letts. So far, so good.
Blush
TH Master

Post by Blush »

Silvia I liked the complex family relationships. I was applying insights to people I know. :paranoid

A French Wedding also great. Slow paced, but rich in drama.

Now I have An Accidental Odyssey by KC Dyer.
Sílvia
Trophy Wife

Post by Sílvia »

Finished Misery. Loved it. Well, as much as you can love something out of Mr King's twisted mind. There were parts I wish I could unread, but overall it's a great story. And it's fast-paced, unlike some others of his. I seem to be on a King kick. I started Duma Key and wanna give IT another try. I tried it about 5 years ago and gave up after 100 pages, found it too violent. But I'm enjoying Stranger Things SO much, and everyone keeps saying King was such an inspiration to the authors and there are so many references to his work.
Blush
TH Master

Post by Blush »

The Accidental Odyssey was ok.

I just finished The Hare by Melanie Finn. Compelling but certainly not enjoyable. I wanted to put it found once I was halfway through because it was not pleasant, but I had to know how it turned out.

Now I have Checkout 19 by Claire-Louise Bennett.
Sílvia
Trophy Wife

Post by Sílvia »

I read 270 pages of Duma Key and gave it up. It started out well, but fizzled out. SO SLOW. I decided I didn't want to read another 500 pages of that to see how it ended. This book is a perfect example of the fact that no one edits Stephen King anymore.

Then I started Lessons in Chemistry and am loving it so far. I'm at 27%. I thought it would be a super light rom-com, but it's....well, not that light at all.
Rowan

Post by Rowan »

Sylvia - I really liked Lessons in Chemistry and you're right it is not a light rom-com. I heard that the author was unhappy with the cover because it implied rom-com.

This weekend I read The Arc which was a bit of a slog in the beginning but I'm glad I kept at it. It's about a dating program that selects your perfect mate. There was some eyeroll-y NYC hipster shit (which I think annoyed me) but I was able to ignore it for the most part.
Sílvia
Trophy Wife

Post by Sílvia »

Rowan, the cover of the Brazilian edition is even more rom-com-y. They went with this one: https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/586 ... -chemistry I'm also a little annoyed that this woman I follow on instagram said it's "good, but so, SO light!" Wtf?? Also, the premise of The Arc sounds the same as the one in The One (ok, that sounded weird.) Have you read that? I liked the premise, but didn't like the execution.
Rowan

Post by Rowan »

I like that cover better Sylvia. That at least screams 1960s to me.

I did read The One and looking back - that scored a 3 and The Arc scored at 3.5. LOL

M asked me what the book was about and when I told him, he said you already read a book like that. He remembers better than I do. LOL
Sílvia
Trophy Wife

Post by Sílvia »

At least you read a different book! My mom reads the same book twice and swears she'd never read it before :lol She's old now, but she's been doing that for decades.

Yes, I like that cover better too, but it's so happy!
Blush
TH Master

Post by Blush »

Checkout19: hated it.

Fix Her Up by Tessa Bailey: cringey. I can see this being published in, say, 1992. But we know better. Editors should know better. The dude was really paternalistic/controlling and the sex dialogue was pretty alarming.

Then I read The Last Lie by Alex Lake, a pseudonym for someone. Psychological thriller. Not very smart, not very thrilling.

Now I have Home or Away by Kathleen West. Its about a mom who played hockey and now her son plays youth hockey. I am nervous it will be full of awful cliches.
Sílvia
Trophy Wife

Post by Sílvia »

Sorry your latest readings haven't been great, Blush.

I finished Lessons in Chemistry, kind of loved it! The only thing I didn't like was that there's a 5-year-old who'd need to be at least 8 or 10 years older to do the things that she does. Gifted or not gifted, it's just not realistic. But that was a minor complaint. 4.5 stars.

Now I'm reading The Truth About the Harry Quebert affair by Swiss writer Joel Dicker. It was a huge success in some countries when it was released in 2014, and I tried to read it back then but couldn't get into it. I started again last week and remembered what bothered me back then: the dialog often seems downright stupid. I don't know if it's his style or the translation (it was written originally in French), but I've been curious about this book for too long and decided to insist. I'm interested in the mystery. Plus I liked another one of his books. I'm only at 34% though, didn't read much this weekend, and the book is 572 pages long.
Korie
Mmm... posting

Post by Korie »

Starting Where the Crawdads Sing tonight.
Blush
TH Master

Post by Blush »

The dialogue in the hockey book was awful. I made it to page 83. No 9 year old talks like that. The people were pretty awful, too. I know you're not supposed to like every character but one would be good. Idiots, all of them.

Now I have The Love Story of Missy Carmichael by Beth Morrey:
The world has changed around seventy-nine-year-old librarian Millicent Carmichael, aka Missy. Though quick to admit that she often found her roles as a housewife and mother less than satisfying, Missy once led a bustling life driven by two children, an accomplished and celebrated husband, and a Classics degree from Cambridge. Now her husband is gone, her daughter is estranged after a shattering argument, and her son has moved to his wife's native Australia, taking Missy's beloved only grandchild half-a-world away. She spends her days sipping sherry, avoiding people, and rattling around in her oversized, under-decorated house waiting for ... what exactly? The last thing Missy expects is for two perfect strangers and one spirited dog named Bob to break through her prickly exterior and show Missy just how much love she still has to give. In short order, Missy finds herself in the jarring embrace of an eclectic community that simply won't take no for an answer--including a rambunctious mutt-on-loan whose unconditional love gives Missy a reason to re-enter the world one muddy paw print at a time.
Spudd
TH Master

Post by Spudd »

I forgot to post that I finished Where The Heart Is by Billie Letts and really quite enjoyed it. That was maybe 4-5 days ago, not sure.

Now I'm reading Atomic Habits by James Clear.
Rowan

Post by Rowan »

I've read Billie Letts before and really liked her.

Atomic Habits is really good too.

I read Aurora by David Koepp and The Agathas (YA) this weekend both of which I liked.

I'm reading We Are Unprepared by Meg Little Reilly now. I think i'm definitely in an apocalyptic mood these days.