July!

Moderator: Malanee

Blush
TH Master

July!

Post by Blush »

I finished The Love Story of Missy Carmichael by Beth Morrey. Really good, kind of reminded me of A Man Called Ove.

Next up is That Summer by Jennifer Weiner.
Rowan
Stinky Ho Zat Changed Zeh Channel

Re: July!

Post by Rowan »

I'm currently reading The Latecomer by Jean Hanff Korelitz which is ok but it's really picked up in the last 1/3 of the book. There is zero character development and you only know each of the unlikeable characters very shallow-ly.

I have a great stack and could really use some time off to dive into them. :D
Sílvia
Trophy Wife

Post by Sílvia »

I finished The Truth About the Harry Quebert affair, which had a decent story in the end, despite the stupid dialog.

Then I read about half of The Lies that Bind by Emily Giffin before I decided it was really terrible.

Then I read a super hyped Brazilian book that hasn't been translated into English, so no title. It was well-written, but not really my thing.

Now I'm reading The Taking of Annie Thorne by C.J. Tudor. I'm only at 12%, but I like it so far.
Spudd
TH Master

Post by Spudd »

I finished Atomic Habits and it had some good tips but I'm too lazy to put most of them into practice.

Now I'm reading "The Organized Mind" about how our minds keep track of information and how to leverage that to be organized. I'm already pretty organized but I could be better.
Rowan

Post by Rowan »

I ended up really liking The Latecomer and would have been a 5 star book if it wasn't such a slog for 2/3 of the book.

I have the new Riley Sager that I think I'm going to pick up tonight.
Spudd
TH Master

Post by Spudd »

Rowan wrote: Thu Jul 07, 2022 11:59 am I ended up really liking The Latecomer and would have been a 5 star book if it wasn't such a slog for 2/3 of the book.
Now that's a review! I'm half tempted to try it but can the last third really make the first 2/3 being a slog worthwhile?
Blush
TH Master

Post by Blush »

I finished That Summer: pretty good.

Then I read Beach Read by Emily Henry. 4 stars. I laughed and was a little teary.

Now I have The Husbands by Chandler Baker. I am 120 pages in and it's really intriguing. (Do not read during a time of marital resentment, or maybe do?)
Rowan

Post by Rowan »

Spudd - it's weird, I'm not sure that I would recommend it but I was so shocked by the end and actually liking it.

I did love her previous book The Plot so maybe look into that one?

I stayed home sick today and started the new Riley Sager. So far so good but it is the drunk unreliable female narrator. *eyeroll*
Blush
TH Master

Post by Blush »

The Husbands was really good, I am going to look up her other book.

I'm done 40 so far this year!

Next: In Five Years by Rebecca Serle. I think Silvia read it?
Rowan

Post by Rowan »

Blush - I read it - solid 4 star! :) Way to go on 40!

I did like the new Riley Sager - The House Across the Lake. Has anyone read him? Kinda thriller/horror-y.

I started Tokyo Dreaming - Book 2 of a YA Japanese princess series. Yes, I still think I'm 16.

I have a huge stack from the library. Hopefully I can find lots of time to read this weekend. So many good books - so little time.
Sílvia
Trophy Wife

Post by Sílvia »

Next: In Five Years by Rebecca Serle. I think Silvia read it?
I did! I liked it overall, but there were some things I didn't. I posted my comments on goodreads, if you're curious. But I do remember it was very gripping!

Speaking of gripping, I'm reading my first Linwood Barclay and it's such a page turner! I hope the ending is not stupid, because I'm really, really enjoying it. It's A Noise Downstairs.

Rowan, Riley Sager is always on my radar, but never makes the final cut. Is he (it's a man, right?) worth it?
Spudd
TH Master

Post by Spudd »

Sílvia wrote: Fri Jul 15, 2022 11:01 am Speaking of gripping, I'm reading my first Linwood Barclay and it's such a page turner! I hope the ending is not stupid, because I'm really, really enjoying it. It's A Noise Downstairs.
I really like Linwood Barclay. I have fond memories of when he used to write a humor column for my local paper.
Rowan

Post by Rowan »

I like Linwood Barclay too!

I do like Riley Sager - he is a he but it's a pseudonym purposely chosen to be questionable gender. His first 3 are my faves particularly Final Girls.

Random note: I've only had one 5 star book since 2020 (The Nightingale) and then no 5 stars until 2013. I knew I was strict with my 5 stars but didn't realize HOW strict.
Sílvia
Trophy Wife

Post by Sílvia »

Finished the Linwood Barclay! It was partly predictable and had other flaws, but I still enjoyed it so much! Already downloaded another sample (No Time for Goodbye).

Rowan, you're demanding! I give 5 stars to at least a couple of books a year. This year I've already given it to Sea of Tranquility (and I'm sure I'm forgetting others). I didn't give 5 stars to The Nightingale, though. It was 4 for me. Ah yes, I gave 5 to The Four Winds this year (speaking of Kristin Hannah).
Rowan

Post by Rowan »

Four Winds was 4 star for me.
Blush
TH Master

Post by Blush »

I finished In Five Years. I loved it.

Now I have The Paris Apartment by Lucy Foley.
Sílvia
Trophy Wife

Post by Sílvia »

Thoroughly enjoyed No Time For Goodbye! Then I started its sequel, but it wasn't really holding my attention, so I started Never Look Away, also by him. It's entertaining enough, but so far less gripping than the other 2 I read. It doesn't help that I read a spoiler for it when I was reading the synopsis of Broken Promise, with the same characters, set a few years later. I hate when authors do that! If there are spoilers, just call it a series, damn it.
Blush
TH Master

Post by Blush »

The Paris Apartment was ok.

The I read The Friend by Sigrid... something. Not for me.

I brought a small paperback: The Girls in the Garden by Lisa Jewell.
Rowan

Post by Rowan »

I've had some good reads lately....

The Measure by Nikki Erlick. Everyone on earth 22 and older wakes up one day with a box outside their door. Inside the box is a string which determines how long you will live. Some people open their box and others don't. There becomes a "long-string" and "short-string" society discrepancy. Long stringers divorce short stringers. Short stringers start running around doing crazy things. So do long stringers because they can't die. Really interesting book - more sociological and horror/scifi.

Would you open your box? I wouldn't.

I read Joyland by Stephen King which was great. This story is about a college student who goes to work at an amusement park that is supposedly haunted. This is just a story not a horror story. Very much like Shawshank or Green Mile. Outside of the dialog which at times could be a slog, this was really great.