September!

Moderator: Malanee

Rowan
Stinky Ho Zat Changed Zeh Channel

September!

Post by Rowan »

What are you reading?

I'm pretty surprised that I didn't read whilst sick. That's not typical for me but all I did was scroll instagram. The brain wants what the brain wants.

I did read Carrie Soto is Back which was good but not my favorite Taylor Jenkins Reid. I have a giant stack to get to.
Spudd
TH Master

Re: September!

Post by Spudd »

I recently finished the Lisa Jewell I was reading, "Then She Was Gone". I was lukewarm on it. At the beginning it was a massive pageturner but then it sort of just struggled, I felt. Still, if I had to give it thumbs up or down I'd go for up.

Now I'm reading "A Boy and His Dog at the End of the World" by Charlie Fletcher. So far, I'm loving it.

It mentioned A Canticle for Leibowitz, which I'd never read, so I downloaded the audiobook for that and am listening to it while I do chores. Look at me reading 2 books at once. I would've rather had the book book, but the library didn't have it in e-book, so you take what you can get.
Blush
TH Master

Post by Blush »

I read The Dinner List by Rebecca Serle; very good.

Then Love and Other Words by Christina Lauren. I see Silvia thought it was a bit too sugary but I am leaning in to all the sugar lately.

Now I have another Rebecca Serle: One Italian Summer.
Sílvia
Trophy Wife

Post by Sílvia »

Oops, sorry, I should have started September the last time I posted.

Spudd, sorry you didn't love Then She Was Gone. I thought it was so good. I mean, somewhat predictable, but still good. Also, please let me know what you think of A Canticle for Leibowitz. I've been curious about it, but I wonder if I'll find it too dark, or worse, too slow (since it's an older book).

Blush, glad you enjoyed Love and Other Words. It was very much not for me, though. Love stories tend to bore me.

I finshed Sally Hepworth's The Younger Wife. I found it such a page-turner! She reminds me so much of Liane Moriarty.

I'm still at 26% of Outlander because apparently I can't read 2 books at the same time. There's always one that's better and I end up reading that one faster.
Spudd
TH Master

Post by Spudd »

So far I love A Canticle for Leibowitz. But I'm only on chapter 2.

I've added The Younger Wife to my library hold list.
Blush
TH Master

Post by Blush »

One Italian Summer was meh.

Now I have The House at the Edge of Night by Catherine Banner. It's a family saga and pretty good.
Sílvia
Trophy Wife

Post by Sílvia »

I haven't read a single positive review of One Italian Summer from my goodreads contacts, so I think I'll pass.

I put The House at the Edge of Night on my list, Blush. It sounds up my alley.

I read The Love of My Life by Rosie Walsh this past week. Really liked it. The blurb makes it sound like a mystery, and there's a heavy dose of that, but it's more of a drama/women's fiction. It went in a totally unexpected direction (for me) and I loved most of it. I only gave it 4 stars because I thought it took a while to pick up and the ending left a couple of things in the air. But I highly recommend it. I started her other book, Ghosted.

I'm also very half-assedly rereading Outlander. But I'm really not goot at reading more than one book at a time. That only ever works if I'm lukewarm on both books. If one of them picks up, forget it. I've been considering reading online plot summaries of books 1 and 2 in the series and going straight to the third. Since I've read the 2 first.
Blush
TH Master

Post by Blush »

I finished The House at the Edge of Night; pretty good. An interesting but fairly gently told story.

Now I have L.A. Weather by Maria Amparo Escandon. The plot is good but the dialogue is weird.
Rowan

Post by Rowan »

I finished The Shore by Kate Runde which I liked. It moved really fast which I needed.

Not sure what's next...
Sílvia
Trophy Wife

Post by Sílvia »

Finished Ghosted by Rosie Walsh. Loved it too. I might look for the books the author wrote under the name Lucy Robinson, though apparently those are supposed to be more chick-lit-y.

I gave up on rereading Outlander.

Not sure what's next. Last night and the night before I reread the beginning of 11.22.63 because I started watching the TV series, but the chances that I'll actually reread the whole thing are slim. But we'll see. So far I'm enjoying comparing the 2 episodes I saw to the book.
Blush
TH Master

Post by Blush »

Ghosted is waiting for me at the library! I have until Monday to pick it up.

I finished LA Weather. It was a little odd but ok.

Now I have The Woman Outside my Door by Rachel Ryan. I think it will be a quick read.
Sílvia
Trophy Wife

Post by Sílvia »

I hope you like it!
Spudd
TH Master

Post by Spudd »

I finished "A Boy and His Dog at the End of the World" and really enjoyed it. Thumbs up. I also finished "A Canticle for Leibowitz" and loved that as well. 2 thumbs up. I literally finished the audiobook the day before it was due back to the library. Close call. Though I doubt it has a waiting list, so I probably could have just re-borrowed it.

Now I'm reading a weird memoir about a guy who got super into Bikram hot yoga. I forget what it's called or who it's by.
Rowan

Post by Rowan »

Syl - I loved the book 11/22/63 but found the series slow. We stopped midway and never went back to it. Maybe it just wasn't the right time for us to watch?

I finished More Than You'll Ever Know by Katie Gutierrez on Monday which was a 4 star read for me. A tad long but well written.

Next up is Things We Do in the Dark by Jennifer Hillier for a virtual book club in mid Oct.
Sílvia
Trophy Wife

Post by Sílvia »

Ro, I liked the first 2 episodes. We'll see. In the book he just spent 2 pages talking about Moxie (the soda). This is what drives me insane with Stephen King. So much unnecessary stuff. I did love the general story of the book, but I only gave it 4 stars because I thought it dragged a little.