October

Moderator: Malanee

Blush
TH Master

October

Post by Blush »

I finally finished The Woman Outside my Door by Rachel Ryan. It did not grab me.

Now I have What You Wish For by Katherine Center.
Sílvia
Trophy Wife

Re: October

Post by Sílvia »

I'm very slowly rereading 11.22.63. Last week I watched the series, so didn't have much time to read (loved it, thought they did a very good job) and this week, as you know, I've been too distracted with the election to focus much, but when I do manage to focus on the book, I'm really enjoying it. I remember how it ends, and the series was faithful to it from what I remember, and it's one of the best book endings I've ever read. It's been fun remembering how it got there. I'm at 29%.
Rowan
Stinky Ho Zat Changed Zeh Channel

Post by Rowan »

I finished Acts of Violet by Margarita Montimore. I thought it was just ok. I loved her previous book, Oona Out of Order.

I'm 75% done with The Most Likely Club by Elyssa Friedland which is an easy read - so far so good. Reviews haven't been great but I like the whole HS reunion trope.

I still want to tackle at least one King this month but I haven't decided. Part of me wants to read The Shining but that would be a re-read for me (30 years ago so maybe that's ok).
Spudd
TH Master

Post by Spudd »

I'm reading "Hell-Bent", which is a memoir about a guy who got really into Bikram yoga and started doing competitive yoga. LOL. I'm actually really enjoying it, but probably only because I'm into yoga.
Sílvia
Trophy Wife

Post by Sílvia »

I finished Acts of Violet by Margarita Montimore. I thought it was just ok. I loved her previous book, Oona Out of Order.
Oh, I'm sad to hear that. I loved Oona and have been putting off reading Acts of Violet because how could it live up? Oona had such an interesting concept. Also, have you read Salem's Lot, Ro? I was watching a video from a booktuber yesterday and she said it's such a fun book.
Rowan

Post by Rowan »

I read Salem's Lot as a teenager.

Acts of Violet - YMMV - I think i may just be in a string of bad books and I was too critical.
Sílvia
Trophy Wife

Post by Sílvia »

Did you like Salem's Lot?

About Acts of Violet, it just doesn't sound as compelling as Oona.
Rowan

Post by Rowan »

I did like Salem's Lot but it was never one of my favorites as a teen.

Kings I read multiple times as a teen:

The Stand (5 or so)
Firestarter
The Shining
Pet Semetary
Sílvia
Trophy Wife

Post by Sílvia »

I found The Stand super boring :crystal Great beginning, super draggy after that.

It took me 3 tries to get past the beginning of The Shining. I did end up giving it 4 stars, though.

Haven't read the other 2.
Blush
TH Master

Post by Blush »

I finished What You Wish For by Katherine Center. It was cute but not life changing.

Now I have The Love of My Life by Rosie Walsh.
Sílvia
Trophy Wife

Post by Sílvia »

Hope you enjoy The Love of My Life, Blush.

I finally finished 11/22/63. I liked it even more than the first time. SUCH a great book! Then I started Salem's Lot. I'm at 10% and enjoying it so far.
Rowan

Post by Rowan »

I read:

Fifty Words for Rain by Asha Lemmie. This was a hard book about a Japanese girl and her hard life but was 4 stars for me. I didn't love the ending but the rest of the book was excellent.

Such Sharp Teeth by Rachel Harrison. I have loved everything she has written. Trust me, I wasn't really wanting to read a book about werewolves but I loved it. Her writing is so good and her dialog is real. This wasn't my favorite of hers but really enjoyed it.

I started Never Saw Me Coming by Vera Kurian which is about a college who lets in 15 psychopaths to study. Interesting so far.
Blush
TH Master

Post by Blush »

I had to put The Love of My Life to the side because Book Lovers came in for me, and it was a short term loan. It was really good.
Spudd
TH Master

Post by Spudd »

I finished Hell-Bent a couple of days ago. It was just OK. Wouldn't recommend for non-yoga fans.

Now I'm reading "Code Name Verity", which is not at all what I thought it would be, but so far I'm enjoying it. For some reason I thought it would be a YA post-apocalyptic thing. Turns out it's a WW2 thing instead.
Rowan

Post by Rowan »

I finished Never Saw Me Coming and really liked it.

I read We Spread by Iain Reid which was just super weird. It was short and a quick read or I wouldn't have finished it. It was one of those "what did I just read?" books.

I'm 75% through Can't Look Away by Carola Lovering and really liking it. Hopefully I'll find time to finish it in the next day or two.
Sílvia
Trophy Wife

Post by Sílvia »

I finished Salem's Lot and really enjoyed it. I didn't expect much, and it ended up being much more fast-paced than his usual stuff, so that was great.

Now I'm reading The Glass Hotel by Emily St John Mandel. I'm at 34% and it's no Station 11 or Sea of Tranquility, but I'm enjoying it. Unfortunately, I think Sea of Tranquility had spoilers about this book, and the blurb itself has a major spoiler about something that will apparently only happen much later on. What were publishers thinking? :angrywife I'll try to read her next books in chronological order from now on.
Blush
TH Master

Post by Blush »

I finished The Love of My Life. I felt like it didn't really know what it wanted to be--love story? Low-grad suspense? It was good though.

Now I have The two lives of Lydia Bird by Josie Silver.
Last edited by Blush on Mon Oct 31, 2022 5:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sílvia
Trophy Wife

Post by Sílvia »

Blush, I saw you gave The Love of My Life only 3 stars. Sorry it didn't work better for you. For me, the fact that it didn't know what it wanted to be was part of its charm. It didn't follow any formulas.